Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/19/2006 5:50:26 AM EDT
I got a new upper yesterday and it came with out the swivel  on the FSB, but I got it. How can I mount it back on the upper?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#1]
You need to find a rivet or small bolt to fit through the swivel mount. It would be easier to use a small bolt & nut if you do not know how to set a rivet.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:26:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You'll need to pick up a front sling swivel rivet.

Brownells

Part # 989-015-018
Front Sling Swivel Rivet, Black   $1.07
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Man.... I really appreciate the link and item number, also the quick response. Its people like you who make this site great. Thanks for the help. If you can tell me, is there any special tools or instructions on how to set the rivet?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:50:29 PM EDT
[#4]
where did you get an upper from that didnt come with a front swivel?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#5]
It was used
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Man.... I really appreciate the link and item number, also the quick response. Its people like you who make this site great. Thanks for the help. If you can tell me, is there any special tools or instructions on how to set the rivet?

That question was asked before and someone mentioned somthing about using a "BB"..  ?  to smash/fold it down...?  Have never done it.. so can't really help ya. Did you try a search?

Gene
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Found these in the archive:

here

and

here

Hope that helps

Gene

ETA:   OGCUJO and  MDRIPLEY   Both of you posted your 223rd post together.....  pretty Kool
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Found these in the archive:

here

and

here

Hope that helps

Gene

ETA:   OGCUJO and  MDRIPLEY   Both of you posted your 223rd post together.....  pretty Kool

LOL .223
I clicked on the links and I got this.  

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 2:47:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Well that sucks.
Here is the info on the first post:

khawk
Post Number :: 39
TX, USA

Is there a special tool for installing the rivet for the front sling swivel? I've tried the hammer and punch trick but the rivet keeps splitting and looks like sh*t. I'm assuming the Colt factory has some sort of tool, or special trick, to get the rivet installed uniformly. Any ideas would be appreciated.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted :: 7/31/2005 6:49:10 PM

M4Madness
Team Member
Slave To Arfcom
Post Number :: 7469
IN, USA

You might try this tool:
www.ustool.com/usstore.asp?WCI=wciViewItem&WCE=90986s
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it, because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson
If it's not a full-auto AR-15, it's a copy.
Posted :: 7/31/2005 7:39:56 PM
thezman
Team Member
Post Number :: 661
PA, USA

I use a tool similar to this one from Tandy Leather.
SNAP SETTER
I can't confirm that I have the same one as pictured, but it looks real close.
It has the round nub on the end to get the rivet rolling, then you just finish it off with a hammer.

and this is from the second post:

SHOOTIN4FUN
Team Member
Not Enough Hours in a Day
Post Number :: 357
PA, USA
I need to install a front sling swivel on my AR. I had the FSB replaced and the new one does'nt have the swivel on it. I just want to put a standard one back on. Where is a good place to get the swivel and rivet. What tool do you use to install the rivet. Is it a roll pin punch or is there special rivet crimper. Thanks.
I like Guns
Posted :: 5/15/2005 9:58:53 AM

Banzai
Post Number :: 416
VA, USA

Most of the "Kit" places out there have the parts you need. I get stuff from MidwayUSA when everyone else is out. No matter where you get it from, if you're not getting anything else, shipping is gonna kill you.
There is a tool, much like a small C clamp for crimping the rivet. They're very easy to make yourself with a $1 Wally World clamp with the flat piece that is on the screw side removed. Put the ball end on the open end of the rivet and tighten slowly.
Some people just use a split pin, which also works well and is just as durable.
Tom
Posted :: 5/15/2005 10:08:00 AM

SHOOTIN4FUN
Team Member
Not Enough Hours in a Day
Post Number :: 358
PA, USA

Thanks banzai. I do need some other items to do a lower build so I'll try to order it with those items. I was hoping to pick one up this weekend at a show but the "parts" table wasnt there this time. I'll try the C clamp method I have a couple of small ones laying around. What are some other good places to pickup tools and parts. I checked out a few of the places in the industry forum and nobody seems to carry a standard swivel only uber tactical stuff. RRA's website had them but nothing else I needed.
I like Guns
Posted :: 5/15/2005 12:19:33 PM

thezman
Team Member
Post Number :: 557
PA, USA

I have a couple extra "plain" swivels I don't need and I have access to rivets at the hardware store. Drop me a IM and we can work something out if you're interested.

Posted :: 5/15/2005 9:30:12 PM
Wingman26
Post Number :: 2060
OK, USA

An easy way to add a swivel is the Harris Bipod HB5 swivel stud adaptor, it fits the standard handgaurd or free floating handguards.
www.harrisbipods.com/
Posted :: 5/15/2005 11:50:48 PM
brushdog
Team Member
Post Number :: 2085
TX, USA
You could use a roll pin.
Posted :: 5/16/2005 12:36:16 AM

Hope that will help ya. Might I suggest you look into becoming a member? It's only like $20.00  a year and it's REALLY worth the money.

Gene
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top