Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 8:49:11 PM EDT
I just purchased a complete M16A1 upper receiver assembly, as I am building the SP1 rifle that I never bought in the 80's.  Dont ask me why, but I always liked the shape of the triangular handguards, and the lightweight barrel, as well, as a shorter A1 stock fits me better.

Its not that big a deal, but I would like the lower to match the upper's color as much as possible, so does anybody know if any manufacturer produces a lower that closely matches the old M16A1 finish?

All the Bushies I have seen are almost black, as well as the newer Colt ones, can anybody help?

Thanks in advance.

Oh, I'm open to a Colt SP1receiver purchase as well, if somebody has one they want to part with.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:23:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
m16a1 lower

www.black-rifles.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=477

That thread looks familiar...

I'll be going through that thread, editing, updating, and getting both the AR15 and 1911 refinishing guide up and running (hopefully) pretty soon.  It will stay in its current version on BR.com, and the newer version will  be found at www.rainerarms.com.  I hope to have everything done before the new website goes operational.

Hey Stickman,

I followed your guide to refinish a couple guns and they came out great.  Thanks! I have a few tips/suggestions that you might want to add in your update if you are open to ideas.  I'll type it out, take some pics of a compressor I modified and PM you.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:47:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Essential arms. They have lowers in colt gray. Matched my SP1 upper perfectly. Sorry no pics at this time.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I just checked the Essential Arms website, it looks like a nice product, the only thing I didnt like were the safety lever "blockers" that are absent on an SP1, they stand out like tits on a bull, and offer absolutely NO legal protection if you have the wrong parts installed.

I know they do that so you cant easily create a FA, but I read somewhere that just having them does not prevent prosecution if you stupidly put in the wrong parts.

It wasnt clear if they sell a completely assembled lower or just parts, any idea?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 12:40:09 PM EDT
[#9]
dont think essential arms sells complete lowers but the cast lowers do match pretty closely and are nice for a cast lower.

had one during the ban but "upgraded" when the ban died
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Preban Eagle Arms lowers were also finished in Colt Grey.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I would assume that the forged is stronger than the cast ones, as the forging process helps align the molecular structure as they pound the hell out of it.

Is there a severe drawback to using the cast ones?  Durablility perhaps?

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually, Im going to inquire as to their forged receivers with the "old" grey finish, either way, I'll post what I hear from them.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:36:50 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Actually, Im going to inquire as to their forged receivers with the "old" grey finish, either way, I'll post what I hear from them.

Yes the forged lowers will be avaliable in grey.

According to Vaughn he will be using sandstrom grey.

Give him a call and remind him we want A1 lowers too.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 1:44:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Give him a call and remind him we want A1 lowers too.

Roger on THAT!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top