Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2006 1:51:01 PM EDT
Any ideas on how to remove a stuck flash hider?  I've got an M4 upper that the A2 FH was screwed on pretty damn tight.  I've locked the upper in a vise, and still can't get it to budge.  Apparently, the individual who assembled the upper had to index it quite a ways on the peel washer, and now its not coming off.

Any advice?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Can we assume it's not pinned?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:56:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Can we assume it's not pinned?

+1,

Though not the proper way, have you tried to stick a flathead screwdriver through the A2 slots and turn? this usually works for me.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#3]
1. are you possitive it's not permanently attached?
2. are you possitive you're turning the right way? (it happens!)
3. are you using a big enough wrench? not some dinky "field tool"?

Maybe hit the f/h with a bit of MAPP gas to expand it a bit, then get a big ass wrench...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you sure it's not pinned and welded? If not, soak it in some light weight oil. If that doesn't work try carefully adding a litte heat.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:02:31 PM EDT
[#5]
I will admit it -- I had serious trouble until I realized I was turning the wrong way.  Stop and think about it for a sec.  The barrel is like the screw and the flashhider is like the nut.  I had it visualized the other way around.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
what is the barrel length you have 14.5" or 16" not including the flash hider. if its 16" then its lefty loosy righty tighty, if its 14.5" then its more than likely permanently installed ie pinned and welded
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:11:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
what is the barrel length you have 14.5" or 16" not including the flash hider. if its 16" then its lefty loosy righty tighty, if its 14.5" then its more than likely permanently installed ie pinned and welded

If it's 14.5" with an A2, that's an SBR, pinned or not.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:13:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If it's 14.5" with an A2, that's an SBR, pinned or not.

ok sorry 14.7"
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#9]
No, its not pinned, and I am turning it the right way!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:15:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Put some muscle into it.  If you don't have any muscle, use a cheater bar!!!!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#11]
+1 on the cheater slide a piece of pipe over the end of the wrech
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
If that's the case then somebody probably used Locktite. Heat up the flashsuppressor a bit and try again with a big wrench.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:43:59 PM EDT
[#13]
If you have a crush washer on it, that's the problem.  Those FH are put on pretty tight.  sometimes it takes a blow torch to heat it up and loosen it.  I had my FH changed from my M-4, and the gunsmith had a bitch of a time getting it off.  I would highly recommend that you get a gunsmith to do it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 on the cheater slide a piece of pipe over the end of the wrech

Well, I thought about that, but I'm not comfortable placing that much torque on the receiver.  Now, if I had a decent barrel vise, I wouldn't worry about it.  I'm going to try heating it up, and see if that helps.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#15]
You said " I've locked the upper in a vise".

Are you using receiver blocks to try to remove the FH?

Wrong tool.  You need a set of barrel blocks and a suitable vice.  It will work if you use the right tool.

You may end up messing up the barrel indexing wrenching against the receiver.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You said " I've locked the upper in a vise".

Are you using receiver blocks to try to remove the FH?

Wrong tool.  You need a set of barrel blocks and a suitable vice.  It will work if you use the right tool.

You may end up messing up the barrel indexing wrenching against the receiver.

That's the exact reason I haven't pressed the issue too much, and seeked the wisdom of arfcom!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top