Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 10:17:27 AM EDT
Hello guys.

Why is it so importnant to have this Mil Spec? And what does it do? Is it more original and durable, or is it just a prestige thing among manufactures?
in another discussion board people were talking about RRA had thinner wall than Bush, and that Colt should be THE ONLY one with Mil Spec???? The whole discussion sound very confusing! Some said They are all Mil Spec other says none of them except Colt?!?!?!

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Hello guys.

Why is it so importnant to have this Mil Spec? And what does it do? Is it more original and durable, or is it just a prestige thing among manufactures?
in another discussion board people were talking about RRA had thinner wall than Bush, and that Colt should be THE ONLY one with Mil Spec???? The whole discussion sound very confusing! Some said They are all Mil Spec other says none of them except Colt?!?!?!

No semi-auto guns are MILSPEC.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:32:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Mil-Spec is the military standard for their rifles. The only rifles subjected to mil-spec inspection are FN & Colt military rifles. Colt LE rifles are made on the same assembly line as their military rifles, from many of the same components, as far as I know, but they are semi-auto only. Colt's Match Target line of rifles are not made to mil-spec, but use some of the same compontents. Their Match Target barrels do not have chrome-lined bores, for example, but the chambers do.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:35:33 AM EDT
[#3]
But generally, the manufacturer that keeps the tightest quality controls, with the closest adherence possible to military specs.... will be a favorite among shooters here.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 10:37:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello guys.

No semi-auto guns are MILSPEC.

Very modest correction.

No AR-15, semi auto or other, available to the public is MilSpec.  None - zip - nada.

Now you'll see many people who believe that company with the garden snake logo produces a  MilSpec AR-15.  NOT TRUE !!  But proof that if you tell a lie long enough it will be accepted as a truth.

5sub
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:20:56 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Very modest correction.

No AR-15, semi auto or other, available to the public is MilSpec.  None - zip - nada.
5sub

True, because if one were to purchase a true military spec receiver, it would have that third hole in it and be considered a machine gun by the alphabet boys.  As we all know, there are VERY LIMITED situations that a newly produced machine gun may be possessed by a civilian.  The term post-sample for a civilian with the right type of dealer license comes to mind.

Quoted:
Now you'll see many people who believe that company with the garden snake logo produces a  MilSpec AR-15.  NOT TRUE !!  But proof that if you tell a lie long enough it will be accepted as a truth.
5sub

In their defense, they do produce a decent quality AR-15 because I own one of them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:24:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In their defense, they do produce a decent quality AR-15 because I own one of them.

It is a decent quality AR, *because* you own one?  So, therefore, if you own it, that is the mark of quality?  

I assume you meant... it is a decent quality AR-15, in your personal opinion and experience, based on the fact you own and shoot one?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright! Now I got it! Reason I began this was to find out which brand to go with! Building it from scratch!

So after all which one is the best? Heard about Bush had a higher tensile strength than RRA. And that you can't go wrong with the colt or any other major manufactures! There must be a differents!!

Personally I'm big fan of Knight's Armament(AWESOME in the LOOKS, and has a QUALITY APPEARENCE!), but since I discovered AR15.com no one really talk about KAC! How come is it, bad quality or just too expensive!  
------------------------
Crazy questions:
1. People discuss about which round is the best! Why not mix different rounds in the same Magazine?
2. I own a Glock 31 (.357 SIG) with SPEER Gold Dot 125gr JHP, does this little friend hit harder than M855 5.56mm??
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:47:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:09:24 PM EDT
[#9]
semantics

if the term helps us differentiate between parts like barrels or finishes what is the difference if it's on a semi or select fire rifle?  i think to answer your question its a personal decision - what you need, want or want to pay for is the basis of what you buy......

i like to buy "mil spec" parts

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:15:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
------------------------
Crazy questions:
1. People discuss about which round is the best! Why not mix different rounds in the same Magazine?

Dutch loading, one must work so why not try em all

As for mil spec just do your research and dont worry about that crap. RRA, Stag, LMT, Colt Armalite, Bushmaster they all have good names although some have had their problems. I am sure you wont go wrong with any of these.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top