Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:22:38 PM EDT
[#1]
NICE
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:32:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Good pic.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:43:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Anybody make out what kind of sidearm is visible in the pic?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
It would be a better picture if it was huge.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

M9
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:46:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

An issued M9. You can see the ambi safety.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats a really nice pic!
Maybe you should make it bigger, it too hard to see
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

M9
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#9]
OMG!!!I see scratches!!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:04:14 PM EDT
[#10]
No rear backup irons?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:26:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Most Soldiers and Marines are only issued the carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Notice no FFHGs... just the M4 RAS. I've seen some M4s with just the standard handguards, and some have the normal top handguard, and a rail attached to the bottom HG to mount accessories.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:54:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
OMG!!!I see scratches!!

OMG!!!Those M4s were "free!"
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Maybe if the picture wasn't so small I could tell what type of firearms they're using...are they AK's???
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:21:47 PM EDT
[#15]
HOLY GIGANTIC PICTURE, BATMAN!
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:28:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1
No sh*t
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
OMG!!!I see scratches!!

Actually...We the taxpayers paid for them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

It's an issue M-9 in a Spec-Ops Brand "Vapor" holster. These holsters are very nice as the kydex inserts are interchangable depending on the pistol carried.
www.specopsbrand.com
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:06:20 PM EDT
[#19]
I also dare to point out that these Marines are in fact officers and maybe senior NCO "Gunnery Sergeant" type units. Like back in WW2, Korea and Vietnam; officers and senior NCOs seem to be carrying shorter weapons rather than the M16A3s carried by regular riflemen.

I dunno if that is true, but it could be.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:11:00 PM EDT
[#20]
resize

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:26:20 PM EDT
[#21]
I see they are sporting the "goodie protector" armor.
I would too.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I also dare to point out that these Marines are in fact officers and maybe senior NCO "Gunnery Sergeant" type units. Like back in WW2, Korea and Vietnam; officers and senior NCOs seem to be carrying shorter weapons rather than the M16A3s carried by regular riflemen.

I dunno if that is true, but it could be.

Has that ever changed?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:42:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

I dunno if that is true, but it could be. hr

How can you tell they are officers by that picture....when I deployed with Marines in combat they did not wear rank on their covers nor chevrons on their sleeves....it was collar rank, subdued only.  Especially with the new cammies with slanted pockets on sleeves.

Maybe I missed their rank but saw no rank visible at all....but I am getting old so eyes might be failing.

Plus, my last 10 years in military...I did not see widespread acceptance of the Officers only carry handguns and enlisted carry longrifles.  Every deployment I was on we carried both....Officer and Enlisted alike.  Only time it was different was the Air Force pilots who carried the M-9 in their survival vest.  I was with Army, Marines and Air Force in combat and it was more dictated by mission of unit and where we were going than rank...other than some diehards that were more set on tradition and ego....but get them in a fire fight and soon every damn buck Lt wanted an M-16...LOL.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#24]
The closest one has captain's bars on his vest and the one next to him is an SNCO, looks like Gunny or above. You can see the insignia in the big pic. My question is why does an H&S Co. have M4s with ACOGS? Most infantry line companies don't even have them. Maybe they're H&S Co. of one of the Recon Bns.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:05:57 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1
No sh*t

Good thing I didn't ask for a high res picture.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:11:22 PM EDT
[#26]
A little surprised they don't have the HK mags.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:11:58 PM EDT
[#27]
What model ACOG's are they sporting???
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:15:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Can I interest anyone in a program to rewsize digital images?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Is it just me or do I smell something funny going on with this picture?  

Note that the troops body armor looks brand new?

Note that the 2 closest ARs look brand new?  They don’t even have any brass scratches on the brass deflectors!  

Note that everyone's uniform and equipment is clean, pressed, and their equipment is stract?  Everything on them looks new.

Notice how clean the fingernails are and how well they are manicured?

Is this really in Iraq or just staged?  Inquiring minds want to know.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Note that the 2 closest ARs look brand new?  They don’t even have any brass scratches on the brass deflectors!  

Note that everyone's uniform and equipment is clean, pressed, and their equipment is stract?  Everything on them looks new.

No, as stated above they are of the higher rank. One closest is a Captain and the third one over looks like a Staff Sergeant. I figure they would abuse their uniforms a lot less than say a Sergeant/Corporal and below.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:44:24 PM EDT
[#31]
probably new everything. ive been in that situation before. as a matter of fact in my last spool-up for my last deployment i had new everything. cammies, armor, helmet, weapons. we looked like those guys in that picture. we were joking about having a gear-queer fasion show.

for those who were asking... Scout sniper platoons are part of H/S company as are Bn Recon/weapons/ANGLICO platoons when attached to a line Co.  the nice part about being lumped in with H/S is that most of them dont know how to deal with grunts so they leave you alone. and when your pay gets fucked up its just a short walk down the hall.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:47:06 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
officers and senior NCOs seem to be carrying shorter weapons rather than the M16A3s carried by regular riflemen.

M16A3s?

Do you mean M16A4s?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:47:32 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
officers and senior NCOs seem to be carrying shorter weapons rather than the M16A3s carried by regular riflemen.hr

M16A3s?

Do you mean M16A4s?

wow, way to be a prick about it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:54:51 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
M16A3s?

Do you mean M16A4s?

Okay, so I am not on my Ps & Qs in which variation is it, okay? Cut me some slack. will ya?

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:02:14 AM EDT
[#35]
It's out at 29 Palms for the shooting portion of the PPT, the course of fire is either the MOCS or EMP(basically the same thing).  It's an H&S company doing the shooting, having all the M4 means its a more recent deploying unit, since the Marine Corps has just fielded about 20000 of them.

The Marine Corps decided that the M4 is a eventual replacement for the M9, so it only makes since that Staff and O have them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:04:36 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Yes everything is almost brand new to include the weapons.  The Marines are at 29 Palms during the predeployment training, I MEF has made a big deal that everyone come over in Coyote so, allot of guys just got new IBA covers.  And the M4s and RCO just got mass fielded a few months ago.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:14:43 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
The closest one has captain's bars on his vest and the one next to him is an SNCO, looks like Gunny or above. You can see the insignia in the big pic. My question is why does an H&S Co. have M4s with ACOGS? Most infantry line companies don't even have them. Maybe they're H&S Co. of one of the Recon Bns.

Units now get M4s, in the Marine Division, based on the number of M9s it owns.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:15:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Maybe it is a picture taken over at "29 Sticks" (MCCS 29 Palms, CA) or at MCS Pendelton, CA of a unit getting prepped for overseas deployment; that might explain the clean uniforms and gear.

As for some of the weapons having scratches and brass marks; they are military weapons, they are supposed to be like that.

As for the optics, they are ACOG TA31RCO Scopes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:18:48 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
It's out at 29 Palms for the shooting portion of the PPT, the course of fire is either the MOCS or EMP(basically the same thing).  It's an H&S company doing the shooting, having all the M4 means its a more recent deploying unit, since the Marine Corps has just fielded about 20000 of them.

The Marine Corps decided that the M4 is a eventual replacement for the M9, so it only makes since that Staff and O have them.

Thanks for the update, STLRN; that's exactly what I was aware of.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#40]
notice the reciever end plate.  Its one of those with the sling swivel atachment.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:58:34 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
OMG!!!I see scratches!!

Actually...We the taxpayers paid for them.

Let's see...I've been in the Army for going on 17 years now, and yep...pay taxes too
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Good catch I did not see the bars on the vest...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:15:35 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Maybe it is their first day in country and they are taking hero shots....but would guess they are qualifying and just got a shipment of the new cammies....or are in garrison instead of the field.

crap..I really need to read all the threads before I start answering....LOL...apologize for stating the obvious again.hippie.gif
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:18:33 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe it is their first day in country and they are taking hero shots....

Because that isn't Iraq. The mountains in the back make it appear to be range 113(A) at 29 Palms
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:34:12 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
No rear backup irons?

I've seen that alot with the acogs.  I don't think their eye relief allows enough room for a buis.  Alot of times special forces and what not have that one with the irons on top of it.  Not sure which model that is.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 1:44:31 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A little surprised they don't have the HK mags.

Why's that? I thought they used USGI mags?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 2:43:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Nice Desktop Picture, thanks.............
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top