Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 11:56:35 PM EDT
What do you guys think? So far I have an RRA midlength dissy-ish and an RRA 16" m4gery. I really want a 20 inch m16a2 clone, 14.5 m4gery,  and some sort of spr.

For the price of building just the base rifles I want it will cost as much as a sig 55X. I just cant really justify spending that much on a rifle that doesnt do too much more than a regular AR. I am really an FN scar fan and would put out big money for that, but they are never going to put a release date on it.

What would you do?

thanks
matt
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:01:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the ARs. The more rifles the better.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:04:45 AM EDT
[#2]
what price for the 556 are you basing your calculations on and how much do you estimate each ar variant will cost?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 12:08:04 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what price for the 556 are you basing your calculations on and how much do you estimate each ar variant will cost?

the swat version of the 55X msrp. I know msrp doesnt mean shit, but at this point its all guesstimation. I have a dealer who has a sweet deal on some RRA lowers and I am trying to figure out if I should pass them up.
basically itll cost me about $150/lower with no stock.
Then around $500 or so for each upper.

Stocks I will add later on, so I am not figuring them in my price. But basically $1800 or so for the 3 ars.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:32:00 AM EDT
[#4]
i would go with more.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:41:40 AM EDT
[#5]
I'd just save the money for when the SCAR-L comes out...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:44:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I just cant really justify spending that much on a rifle that doesnt do too much more than a regular AR.

I think you answered your own question.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:45:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Another option would be to increase your stockpile of magazines, ammo, and spare parts. How are you fixed for these?

More rifles are always fun, but they don't do a lot of good if you don't have the above to support them.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:09:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Sig 556.  We're in the second golden age for evil black rifles.   Get 'em while you can.  You already have an AR.  Get a Sig 556 and a few stripped AR lowers, then build the lowers as money permits. Variety is the spice of life.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:18:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
build 1 AR and buy a bunch of practice ammo and take a training class.

+1

5sub
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:54 AM EDT
[#11]
You have an AR15. Get the 556
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:48:41 AM EDT
[#12]
So it's really two complete ARs or the one Sig 556.  The SPR clone will cost $1800 alone with glass.  

I'd base my decision off getting an SPR clone or Sig 556.  You already have similar rifles to the M4gery and M16A2 clone (kinda.)

I'd take the 556 over the SPR.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:23:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Or save up for one of the new FN/FS2000s. Now that's unique. Or if they ever sell an Aug civvie model.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I guess I should'nt have started a new thread!  so ill bury this question here, Thanks

Saw the thread on the sig 55x (556) and jumped over to thier site, that weapon LOOKS great. I sent a mail to my dealer and have not heard from him. Any one know the availabilty of the weapon and the cost MSRP would be great. I just got a Mosquito and have not been thirlled by it. I just finished 500 rds so maybe after break in it will behave a bit better. Have three full size and cant kill em. Never investigated any sig rifles and I would go forward if I heard the good word. Thanks in advance
Tiggy
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:41:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
build 1 AR and buy a bunch of practice ammo and take a training class.

You should know training classes are worthless.
Everyone automatically becomes a expert when they buy an AR15.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:21:56 AM EDT
[#17]
I'd get more ARs.

Without seeing a clear PROBLEM with the AR that the SIG fixes, I'm not sure I would pay more than a couple of hundred bucks extra for a SIG, simply for the novelty.

Then FN 2000 however, I will gladly pay a huge premium for, because bullpups make me feel funny, and make my pants tight.  So, go with whatever will make you happier - not whatever makes more "sense"
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:28:28 AM EDT
[#18]
Buy some AR lowers and save for the 556. Remember the old Pre 89 SIG's run in the $8000+ range and even at the height of the ban Pre 94 Colts ran in the $2200 range. Figure it as an investment. The SIG may cost more but then again how much would it cost to upgrade an AR with a gas piston system and quick change barrel platform- considering what the SIG has to offer I think it is by far the better deal considering you could probably buy on for under $1500. Hell we live in the best time in human history to own firearms- which is awsome!!

Creeper
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:29:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Niether -

I see no good reason to buy a Sig 556. I don’t see that it offers anything that a well built AR doesn’t already give you? If it’s the piston driven aspect you like, I would still wait because I believe there are better options either currently, or soon to be, available.

I also see no reason to have as many AR's as you mention. If you have the money to burn, great, have at it and build\buy as many as you wish but judging by your post here, it would appear that you don't have that kind of money. (Don’t sweat it, most of us don’t) When budget constraints are an issue, it doesn't make sense to me to have a number of weapons that basically do the same thing. As an example, what would be the reason\thinking behind having both a 14.5" and 16" M4gery?

I would try to limit your AR collection to no more then 3 or possibly 4 total. Really, I think most people could get away with 2 for probably about 99% of anything you would want to use an AR for. One would be a business oriented carbine for close in work (>100yds) and the other a rifle length AR setup for longer range work (100-300yds). Anything above those two is just gravy IMO.

The best use of the rest of your money would be to use it for training, perferable a formal class but at least for ammo\mags\range time to practice with. If you are looking for another firearm, how about something different to round out your tool box? Maybe a larger caliber battle rifle (M14\M1A, FAL, AR10, etc) or maybe a long range precision rig or maybe a tactical\combat style shotgun?

That’s just my opinion, only ‘cause you asked
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:33:52 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I would go with the ARs. The more rifles the better.

But, you can only shoot One at a time...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:45:50 AM EDT
[#21]
I'd go with more ARs. Right now I have four in my collection and would like to have just one more before I'm satisfied.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top