Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
Ok where I live there are not a whole lot of good gunsmiths that I have found, so I'm thinking of doing my own Phantom flash hider pinning.  I have a 14.5 barrel and I want to make the hider permant.  Its my understanding that what I need to do is drill through the hider and into the barrel alittle bit.  Is this correct?  Than I install a pin right?  What size and what type of pin?  Than when Im done with this I solder the hole closed right?  Than what do I do to refinish where I drilled and soldered?
Thanks,
Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't even mess with it.  Send it to ADCO.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:27:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Ok where I live there are not a whole lot of good gunsmiths that I have found, so I'm thinking of doing my own Phantom flash hider pinning.  I have a 14.5 barrel and I want to make the hider permant.  Its my understanding that what I need to do is drill through the hider and into the barrel alittle bit.  Is this correct?  Than I install a pin right?  What size and what type of pin?  Than when Im done with this I solder the hole closed right?  Than what do I do to refinish where I drilled and soldered?
Thanks,
Mike

Correct, drill into the barrel slightly. I use a 6-32 x 1/8" set screw instead of a pin. Drill and tap, tighten set screw and then weld over the top of the set screw. MIG or TIG works. File smooth and touch up or re-park.

Here's what it looks like before welding.

I use my mini-mill to do the drilling and have a Miller SychroWave 180 TIG welder to do the welding.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:00:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey thanks where is a good place to get reparkerizing?  I have built a number of strret rods over the years so the drilling and tapping is no biggie at all.  I'll use one of my old flashiders to find the right heat for my mig welder so I dont over heat it, and get the feel.
Mike
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks,
Mike

Correct, drill into the barrel slightly. I use a 6-32 x 1/8" set screw instead of a pin. Drill and tap, tighten set screw and then weld over the top of the set screw. MIG or TIG works. File smooth and touch up or re-park.

Here's what it looks like before welding.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Dsc00746.jpg

I use my mini-mill to do the drilling and have a Miller SychroWave 180 TIG welder to do the welding.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v224/comp1911/Guns/Dsc00698.jpg

Nice post!!!

I would not recomment a set screw, as most people just use a pin which will aid in removal.  The pin will sometimes fall out after the weld is ground off, but a set screw will have to be drilled completely out.  Eitherway works!!!  Just thought I would mention that.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:12:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the 1100 degree Silver solder not used too often?

ETA:  I meant to say 1100 degree not 100 degree.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:45:48 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hey thanks where is a good place to get reparkerizing?  I have built a number of strret rods over the years so the drilling and tapping is no biggie at all.  I'll use one of my old flashiders to find the right heat for my mig welder so I dont over heat it, and get the feel.
Mike

If you are carefull grinding/filing, cold blue should be sufficient but will be a slighly different color. You sould end up with a 3/16" diameter spot where the weld is. Even the park will probably be a different color since the weld will have different metallurgy then the barrel steel. I don't know where you could send for park since I do my own.

Custom stainless tank with cover, custom frame with burner from gas fireplace. I use a automotive temp gauge to monitor temp and use Brownells mangenese phosphate sauce and directions.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:52:26 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Ok where I live there are not a whole lot of good gunsmiths that I have found,

Mike,
That is what the USPS is for.  Ship it down to Randall at www.AR15barrels.com and he can permanetly attach it for you (done right!) for decent cost.  Send it priority mail with insurance and it WILL get there.

-Forest
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Silver solder is the way to go.  You dont always have to refinish, and it is easy to remove if you need to take the bbl apart.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top