Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:21:03 PM EDT
You know I was looking at the SIG thinking yes I am excited about this rifle but why- because it has a gas piston, has a captured bolt carrier return spring inside the reciever, has a side charging handle fixed to the bolt carrier, and has a quick change barrel system.

SO why don't they simply make one AR that can do all that?? I mean companies like OA and ZM make captured spring bolt carriers with side mounted charging handles with return systems to have a sidefolding stocks. Then LW  and such have gas piston systems. Then their is the QD barrel platforms etc.

Why not just make the ultimate AR, combine all the best upgrades into one sytem, elimate the need for a buttstock tube for a return spring, have a side mounted charging handle, an adjustable gas piston system, and QD barrel set up all with a sidefolding collasible stock like the SCAR. How fn' cool would that be? It would be extremely accurate, very reliable, very compact with the sidefolder for field carry etc.

Someday it might happen.

Creeper  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:18:47 PM EDT
[#1]
i guess that its b/c parts would cost more and there is not that much of a demand...

furthermore, would it be considered an AR anymore?

oh and the XCR seems to fit that bill (almost)
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:26:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Side mounted charging handle on an AR = open hole for dirt to get in your reciever.

I could really care less about a side folder.  Side folders are only usefull if you REALLY need compact storage.  A SBR with collapsed stock is mere inches from a folder in length.  I can think of no reason I would want a side folding stock personally.  If its a free add on thats cool but I dont care either way and would never pay more for it.  Plus youd have to give up the fancy AR recoil reduciing buffers.

I want to see a QD throw lever monolithic upper that uses standard AR barrels.  When one is released I will buy it.  It does not exist.  They have monolithic, they have throw levers, but not both in one unit.

Adjustable gas piston system?  LW is self regulating.  I dont want to have to turn any knobs.

PS: You forgot the carbon fiber wrapped barrel and super compact QD suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:28:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Well honestly I see these upgrades going for tons and your right the costs are killing the system. Most of these upgrades really not needed for the average shooter but I guess it wouldn't be an AR anymore, maybe more like a SIG. Only it would be nice to have parts interchangeability such as bolts, internals, lowers, barrels, etc.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:37:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Side mounted charging handle on an AR = open hole for dirt to get in your reciever.

I could really care less about a side folder.  Side folders are only usefull if you REALLY need compact storage.  A SBR with collapsed stock is mere inches from a folder in length.  I can think of no reason I would want a side folding stock personally.  If its a free add on thats cool but I dont care either way and would never pay more for it.  Plus youd have to give up the fancy AR recoil reduciing buffers.

I want to see a QD throw lever monolithic upper that uses standard AR barrels.  When one is released I will buy it.  It does not exist.  They have monolithic, they have throw levers, but not both in one unit.

Adjustable gas piston system?  LW is self regulating.  I dont want to have to turn any knobs.

PS: You forgot the carbon fiber wrapped barrel and super compact QD suppressor.

You could have a flip open panel like the AR has now over the area foward the mounted charging handle to keep dirt out. I guess I see the buffer tube the second weekest link in the AR design next to the first being the gas system. Basically if the spring is weak, or the buffer to heavy you get short strokes, malfs etc. The gas system just dumps carbon back in the system which requires a bit more cleaning and definate fouling on the bolt etc. An adjustable gas system is to control the recoil- you only set at low enough to engage the bolt catch like you would on an FAL, less gas pressure then less recoil, the rest is just bled off at the adjustment. Honestly the side mounted charging handle wouldn't even be necessary since you already have a foward assist. Sidefolder because compact in travel or vehicle carry does make a difference but collasible would work fine either way.

Essentially eliminate the buffer return spring set-up in trade for a captured spring and a piston with an adjustable gas setting and you would have one hell of a reliable set-up.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top