Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 7:37:07 AM EDT
I was thinking about selling my AR15 ZM rifle but I decided to keep it. I just dont like the barrell.
Is there any way to maybe cut the barrell and add a longer flash hidder? Any ideas would be appreciated

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/galil300/ZM/PICT0062.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/galil300/ZM/PICT0069.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/galil300/ZM/PICT0071.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/galil300/ZM/PICT0074.jpg
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I am sure you could find a machinist or gunsmith who would cut and rethread the barrel.  Just find one who knows his way around the Black Rifle.

heavy.gif

Love the stock, that is nice.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:32:34 AM EDT
[#2]
IIRC, that's a 16.5" full length barrel w/ the phantom installed, so you could whack a bit off without the need for a longer FS.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:43:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Call ADCO or AR15 Barrels and see if they can cut it to 14.5 with Phantom or Vortex, or 15 with an A2 or A1.

Steve
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Whack it off to 14.5", permanently attach the flashhider. That'll bring you out to the legal minimum, but be certain it is a permanent install on that FS.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:50:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok Guys, I need phone numbers or websites. Plus who do you guys recomend.

Thanks
Galil30

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:50:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Forgive the question, but how does that AR work with out a buffer tube?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:00:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Thanks
Galil30

AR15.COM INDUSTRY FORUM

Scroll down to the Dealer section.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

One of the early piston models.

No buffer required.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:01:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Gas piston upper

Sly

ETA:
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:06:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Once again........ZM is not a piston.

It is a modified Morris type system, still direct Imp.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:07:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Thanks
Galil30

+1 for ADCO  Steve rocks great CS and fast
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:07:32 AM EDT
[#12]
ZM weapons: Complete guns, parts and kits for the high quality high priced ZM systems based on the AR15 designs but heavily modified.  The ZM weapons use a gas pistom system similar to that of the FAL and the AK47.  The folding stock is an Alan Zitta original and is probably one of the best designs ever made.  The downside is that these guns and parts kits cost as much as three times the price of a standard AR.  On the upside, a ZM derivative needs little or no improvement out of the box, as accessories like the Knight rail system, fore grips, metal folding stocks and low profile removable sites are costly options on standard AR15s.   Go here for ZM website http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm

Bushmaster: Considered by many to be the best parts and parts kits available outside of government contractors.  Bushmaster has held government contracts for the manufacture of M4 carbines from time to time and is known for high quality and good service.  Their prices are at the upper end of the scale for the more common parts dealers that deal directly with the public and their wholesale pricing is not much better.  Their quality is generally good, but quality control has lagged at times, especially when there has been panic buying based on impending legislation and their production facilities were running faster than normal.  They are also known to restrict the sale of parts in favor of the sale of complete guns or completed upper receivers (as opposed to selling individual component parts).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#13]
That looks really cool.  I have seen one of the older ones before, but that one looks pretty sharp.  How reliable is it?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:14:27 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
ZM weapons: Complete guns, parts and kits for the high quality high priced ZM systems based on the AR15 designs but heavily modified.  The ZM weapons use a gas pistom system similar to that of the FAL and the AK47.  The folding stock is an Alan Zitta original and is probably one of the best designs ever made.  The downside is that these guns and parts kits cost as much as three times the price of a standard AR.  On the upside, a ZM derivative needs little or no improvement out of the box, as accessories like the Knight rail system, fore grips, metal folding stocks and low profile removable sites are costly options on standard AR15s.   Go here for ZM website http://www.zmweapons.com/index.htm

WHERE did that come from?  That is completely false unless the gas system is now different than the one I have.

click for larger image

The gas key is hollow and gas feeds into the bolt carrier, it is a cleaner system and very reliable but it is still direct impingment.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Okay, I can't argue any of your technical points. You would know better, I don't have one.

Just know that no buffer is required.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:40:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm not a technical guy, just got the info from the internet.
I just dont like the long skiny barrell.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Well anyway ADCO is highly recommended. I'd have them cut it to 14.5 and perm attach the phantom.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I was thinking about selling my AR15 ZM rifle but I decided to keep it. I just dont like the barrell.
Is there any way to maybe cut the barrell and add a longer flash hidder? Any ideas would be appreciated

I'm missing what it is that you don't like about the barrel.  What doesn't it do that you want it to?

+1 Don't change anything--it's just fine as it is.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:11:34 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

The trouble is you have a 16" barrel with an additional 1.5" phantom flash hider on it, so the OAL of the barrel is pushing 18".  You could do a lot better by having a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 14.7, then permanently attach a standard A2 flash hider to get the OAL just above 16".  Basically, you would be creating a complete barrel with flash hider that would be as long as your current barrel minus the phantom flash hider.  It would look a lot better, but won't do much for the pencil profile.

Not that familiar with the ZM conversion, so I don't know if it will work with heavier contour barrels or not.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The trouble is you have a 16" barrel with an additional 1.5" phantom flash hider on it, so the OAL of the barrel is pushing 18".  You could do a lot better by having a gunsmith cut the barrel down to 14.7, then permanently attach a standard A2 flash hider to get the OAL just above 16".  Basically, you would be creating a complete barrel with flash hider that would be as long as your current barrel minus the phantom flash hider.  It would look a lot better, but won't do much for the pencil profile.

Not that familiar with the ZM conversion, so I don't know if it will work with heavier contour barrels or not.

WRONG!

As I noted above the ZM comes w/ a 16.5" barrel w/ phantom....

Mike

ps - YHM sells these uppers and the specs for them are right there at YHM's website.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:05:19 AM EDT
[#24]
That is not how you measure a barrel - you need to drop a rod down the bore till it hits the bolt face (make sure the bolt is back and the hammer cocked).   Mark the rod at the end of the muzzle.  Pull rod out and measure from the mark to the end of the rod.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Thanks Forest, I just think is longer them 16.5 even if I did it the right way?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:12:38 AM EDT
[#26]
I think it is 16.5".  Your tape measure lines up right where the Phantom ends.  The rest is a sleeve.

Anyway, measuring arguments aside, cut the barrel down to 14.7", then permanently add an A2, as I said.  judging by the tape measure, this will shave almost 3 inches from the barrel.  It will look much better.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

click for larger image

Ahh that's a much nicer barrel length.  The other one looks more queer than a $3 dollar bill.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:19:03 AM EDT
[#28]
So I can used the same flash hidder? just cut the barrell to 14.5 and permanently attach the flashhider?

Thanks
Galil30
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:25:38 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
So I can used the same flash hidder? just cut the barrell to 14.5 and permanently attach the flashhider?

Thanks
Galil30

Yes!  and it will save you $30.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#30]
That Phantom seems a little long at 2+ inches...

How could you possibly want to get rid of that sexy ribbed portion of the barrel; hot damn!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:29:43 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Thanks Forest, I just think is longer them 16.5 even if I did it the right way?

I'd tell ya measured wrong, but take your one of those fellas that'd argue w/ a fence post.....

Mike

ETA - www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/lr.html, excerpt below

Standard Features:
* Caliber .223
* Semi-Automatic
* 1 in 9" Rifling
* 16.5" Chrome Lined Barrel
* Choice of YHM Muzzle Accessory
* Skeleton Stock
* Multi Sling Mount Points
* Flat Top Upper Receiver
* Picatinny Full Rail System
* Field Strips With NO TOOLS
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:33:33 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v86/vanloch/Kit/th_zm_innards_005.jpg
click for larger image

Ahh that's a much nicer barrel length.  The other one looks more queer than a $3 dollar bill.

Ya that was going to be my original suggestion, but then I saw he was from NY .
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:54:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I preferred the look of the old kit. Having 8 miles of barrel sticking out is unsightly. The rails or handguards need to be longer. Where this trend of lots of exposed barrel came from I dont know, but I've always been against it. It's ugly, gives a shorter sight radius and gives you lots of chances to get scorched.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
That is not how you measure a barrel - you need to drop a rod down the bore till it hits the bolt face (make sure the bolt is back and the hammer cocked).   Mark the rod at the end of the muzzle.  Pull rod out and measure from the mark to the end of the rod.

+1..... but didn't you mean make sure the bolt is forward.  (closed bolt right?)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top