Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 4:16:16 AM EDT
Possible stupid question alert.

I just bought an a1 buttstock for my AR. When installed I noticed the bolt no longer chambers a round. I believe the buffer spring is to short. Can a Buffer spring be stretched the spring does pass the buffer tube opening but maybe by 1 inch.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:19:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The right way to fix this issue to get a new buffer spring or the correct buffer spring for the receiver extension you are using.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:24:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The right way to fix this issue to get a new buffer spring or the correct buffer spring for the receiver extension you are using.

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:25:10 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the stock, tube and buffer spring on midwayusa. I am not using parts from the folding stock as I knew there were not sized right. The mistake was not buying a kit score another for being cheap..
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:38:49 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I bought the stock, tube and buffer spring on midwayusa. I am not using parts from the folding stock as I knew there were not sized right. The mistake was not buying a kit score another for being cheap..

If you bought all the right parts....it would be irrelevent if you got them individually or as a kit.

An A1 stock uses the same buffer and spring as an A2 stock, cause the tube (receiver extension) is the same length. The A2 simply has a spacer behind it.

So, if you bought a Rifle buffer, and a Rifle spring... (and not a carbine spring) then it should be the correct parts for an A1 stock.

If the bolt carrier is not going fully into battery, and it did before the change, I wonder if you ordered the wrong spring.

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#6]
sounds like you might have bought the wrong buffer spring.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:47:24 AM EDT
[#7]
You can't stretch a spring to make it stronger.  In fact, you will make is weaker becasue the stretching damages the metal characteristics (it's called exceeding the plastic limit of the metal) by permanantly deforming it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:04:04 AM EDT
[#8]
If you think there is something wrong with the spring, I would send it back for exchange.  It seems your sure you have the right one, and just telling you that you don't might not be right.  You might have ordered a rifle spring and got a carbine spring, or a bad rifle spring, which wouldn't be your fault.

Maybe if you could take a pic of the spring in relation to the stock. it might help us to see if its the right spring.  When I get home, I will try to take pics of the 2 springs to show you the difference in length compared to the stock, if you think it will help...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Count the coils. Carbine springs, 37-38 coils. Rifle springs around 41-42. If you've got the carbine, you'll know. If you have a rifle spring and it is too short (I can't imagine why or how) then you'll have to exchange it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Count the coils. Carbine springs, 37-38 coils. Rifle springs around 41-42. If you've got the carbine, you'll know. If you have a rifle spring and it is too short (I can't imagine why or how) then you'll have to exchange it.

It might not be short, but it might be weak...
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Possible stupid question alert.

+1
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:46:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You can't stretch a spring to make it stronger.  In fact, you will make is weaker becasue the stretching damages the metal characteristics (it's called exceeding the plastic limit of the metal) by permanantly deforming it.

I had a weak carbine spring that I stretched once, and it worked fine after that.  

We'd occasionally do it in the army with SMG springs, and it would (at least temporarily) fix any problem.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Why stretch one when a brand new replacement is all of $3.58 from Brownell's?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#14]
When I got my CAR it came with an A1 stock.  That also had it's own buffer and spring.  Considerable difference between them.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:59:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
spring does pass the buffer tube opening but maybe by "1 inch".

Bingo, ya ordered the wrong buffer spring. Ya order the carbine and "needed" the rifle.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:04:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I had a weak carbine spring that I stretched once, and it worked fine after that.  

We'd occasionally do it in the army with SMG springs, and it would (at least temporarily) fix any problem.

I agree - why not do both?  I really dont see the harm in it .  Stretch the spring slightly and if it fixes the problem buy the proper new one.  If it doesn't fix it there might be other issues and the buffer spring isn't the issue at all.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks everyone, Ive added a pic. MarkM i see why your post count is so high http://www.rememberthese.com/guns/spring.jpg
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:23:07 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I agree - why not do both?  I really dont see the harm in it .  Stretch the spring slightly and if it fixes the problem buy the proper new one.  If it doesn't fix it there might be other issues and the buffer spring isn't the issue at all.  

Sorry fellas ya ain't gonna be able to stretch a carbine length spring enough to make it rifle length.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:20:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sorry fellas ya ain't gonna be able to stretch a carbine length spring enough to make it rifle length.

Mike

No - I totally agree with that!!

I was speaking about a carbine spring in a carbine that was somehow too weak, but worked fine about stretching it a little.

Fistandalis clearly needs to buy a new spring.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mike

+1
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top