Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/14/2006 7:02:32 PM EDT
Ok now here is the huge dilemma.

I have a Ruger 10/22 that I've been shooting with open sights, but have a 4x scope for that I'd like to use.

I am building a 16" M4.

Now, the only range that is convenient to me charges as this...

$6 for 18-20yd pistol range that allows me to shoot my .22 on it.
$15 for the rifle range, which is only 25 yds.  Both indoors.

I go down to the pistol range alot to play with my .22.  You have to buy their ammo, which isn't a problem because the .22 is cheap.

Now, if I put the scope on, at what range would I zero it?  Because I'll mainly be shooting it at this range to play around, but there's also a Police range further away with 50,100, and 200 yd ranges which I'd like to take my M4 and the Ruger to.

Now at what distance would I sight the M4 since I'll occasionally be shooting at the 25yd range near me, but the 50-100 also.

Sorry if that is confusing.

The 25 yd range is more convenient and I'll be going there occasionally.  $15 + $6 per 20 rounds.

But I don't really want to zero it in everytime i switch between ranges.  Any way to avoid this?

Should I just zero in the Ruger at 20 yds since I mainly shoot it on the pistol range?  And then just adjust elevation when I move to a longer distance, etc?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:25:01 PM EDT
[#1]
do a 50 yard Zero and adjust your aim for 25 yards
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:50:34 PM EDT
[#2]
On both rifles?

On the M4, how would I adjust it for 25 yds?  Just adjust the elevation or is there a way to select the yardage?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:00:41 PM EDT
[#3]
In the docments section of the Maryland AR-15 Shooter's Site there are some 25 yard targets designed for use with the IBZ 50 yard zero.  

Sarge
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:07:33 AM EDT
[#4]
What kind of sight on the M4?  If you have the A2 dial, zero for 50yds/200m per the Improved Battlesight Zero and then dial it up to the "4" setting for 25yds.  If you don't have the dial, then I'd probably zero for 50y/200m anyway, as that would be the best general purpose zero in case you ever used it for real and also for the outdoor range.  It'll shoot about 1.2" low at 25yds, so just hold over a little inside.

On the .22 I've zeroed mine at 50yds since that's where I usually shoot and it's pretty much right on at 25yds too.  (The trajectory I just ran shows .0" off at 25, .2" low at 20.)  I think that's better than zeroing at 20yds, but if you shoot almost exclusively indoors with it and need to be that last .2" closer then go with the 20yd zero.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:14:25 AM EDT
[#5]
As I noted in your other thread, find yourself a decent range.

Ya ain't shooting pistols and rifles deserve a "rifle" range .

Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:14:28 AM EDT
[#6]
What sights are on the M4?

Normally I'd just say sight in about 1"-1.2" low at 25y to get a nice 50y zero.  This works great for Red-dots or non-elevation adjustable BUISes.

However if you an elevation adjustable BUIS (say the KAC 600M) or a detachable carry handle etc, then zero at 25 yards with the range set to '4'.  Then when you go to the 50y range click down to '2' (for the KAC) or to 6/3 -4 for the detachable carry handle.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:28:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I am going to be using a carrying handle, once I find one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
As I noted in your other thread, find yourself a decent range.

Ya ain't shooting pistols and rifles deserve a "rifle" range .

Mike

I live in a pretty urban area so that's hard.  The police range I hear is nice, but it's only open certain weekends a month, and I work on the weekends.

I also drive a V8, and these places are pretty far away, other than the indoor.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:13:50 AM EDT
[#9]
M4A1 is there any chance youre going to bullseye gun range? just sounds familiar
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
M4A1 is there any chance youre going to bullseye gun range? just sounds familiar

Where is that at?

All I know of is Gator Guns and Archery (indoor)

And the Police Range further West
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:37:03 AM EDT
[#11]
deleted
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:50:48 AM EDT
[#12]
So M4A1 you set now?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I am going to be using a carrying handle, once I find one.

I just got a new RRA carry handle for $75 shipped from jensen arms.  They are in the industry and EE forums.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
So M4A1 you set now?

Pretty much.  I've decided that I'm going to zero both of my rifles at the 50yd police range on March 4th.  But if the indoor range opens before then, I'll use a temporary 25yd sighting.  Nothing fancy.

I still might need some help on how to do so hehe.  I'll read up on it a little bit.  Maybe someone at the range can help
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 7:42:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I use the 50 yd IBZ sighting and it works from real close to 200 yds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:04:41 PM EDT
[#16]
I was going to site in my rifle with the IBSZ 50 yard but the detachable carry handle I got from Bushmaster didn't include a hex screw to adjust the elevation.  The dial bottoms out at exactly 6/3. WTF?!  Guess I'm SOL.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:48:18 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I was going to site in my rifle with the IBSZ 50 yard but the detachable carry handle I got from Bushmaster didn't include a hex screw to adjust the elevation.  The dial bottoms out at exactly 6/3. WTF?!  Guess I'm SOL.

Mine did.  It's really a set screw that keeps the two halves of the BDC dial together, and it's acessed through a hole in the top of the dial.  Go here for directions and pictures.  

Quoted:
...  I've decided that I'm going to zero both of my rifles at the 50yd police range ...
I still might need some help on how to do so ...

Follow the intructions at the link above for adjusting the dial on the rear sight.  As it says, use the small aperture with the dial all the way down.  Leave it there and adjust POI up or down by turning the front sight post.  Adjust left or right with the windage knob on the rear sight.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:17:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
...but the detachable carry handle I got from Bushmaster didn't include a hex screw to adjust the elevation.  .....

Nobody includes the wrench.  You actually have to hit your local hardware store and buy the $0.25 wrench.  

<shaking head>
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:Follow the intructions at the link above for adjusting the dial on the rear sight.  As it says, use the small aperture with the dial all the way down.  Leave it there and adjust POI up or down by turning the front sight post.  Adjust left or right with the windage knob on the rear sight.  

Sounds simple enough :)
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:44:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
...but the detachable carry handle I got from Bushmaster didn't include a hex screw to adjust the elevation.  .....

Nobody includes the wrench.  You actually have to hit your local hardware store and buy the $0.25 wrench.  

<shaking head>

<Shaking Head>

Who said anything about a wrench?! I said there was no hex SCREW to adjust with my hex wrench because it wasn't there.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:23:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<shaking head>

<Shaking Head>

Who said anything about a wrench?! I said there was no hex SCREW to adjust with my hex wrench because it wasn't there.

I'll bet you the screw IS there, you're just not looking in the right place for it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:46:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

<shaking head>

<Shaking Head>

I'll bet you the screw IS there, you're just not looking in the right place for it.

OK how much do you want to bet? Looking in the right place? OMG dude, first you say I need a wrench and now I'm not looking in the right place...How many places could there be? I only see ONE hole. Stop wasting your time replying to threads when you have nothing even remotely positive to contribute.  
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:47:25 AM EDT
[#23]
We should add a poll.....

How many people here have read the manual?    or the links that EVERYONE sends out about zeroing....   or done a search....   or .....

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:04:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
OK how much do you want to bet? Looking in the right place? OMG dude, first you say I need a wrench and now I'm not looking in the right place...How many places could there be? I only see ONE hole. Stop wasting your time replying to threads when you have nothing even remotely positive to contribute.  

Yeah I'm sure out of the 30,000 detachable carry handles Bushmaster puts out in a year they deliberately made YOURS differently.

I don't know HOW many times I've had to help people like you (only more willing to listen) find the set screw and get it loosened.

But hey WTF do I know?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah I'm sure out of the 30,000 detachable carry handles Bushmaster puts out in a year they deliberately made YOURS differently.

I don't know HOW many times I've had to help people like you (only more willing to listen) find the set screw and get it loosened.

But hey WTF do I know?

Look, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest but you really aren't helping by telling me I need a wrench, I'm not looking in the right place and being a wise ass to boot.  Go figure...I never said Bushmaster made mine differently, just that the screw was not included, which it wasn't.  You're right though, it is unfathomable that Bushmaster would ship out a handle with a tiny missing screw that isn't noticable at a glance.  I MUST be wrong because Bushmaster is simply incapable of making a mistake. Maybe it was a handle that was returned and somebody took the screw out. I don't know. All I know is there is no screw in the damn handle.  Thanks for nothing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:46:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Hmm, it sounds like you need to find a rifle range. I'm not positive at what ranges you need to zero your 10/22. All I know for sure is that for your AR, the trajectory of the round (M855) provides that the round will strike at the same point at both 36 meters and 300 meters. Not sure about 25 yards though. I hope that little bit helps though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
...I never said Bushmaster made mine differently, just that the screw was not included, which it wasn't.  You're right though, it is unfathomable that Bushmaster would ship out a handle with a tiny missing screw that isn't noticable at a glance.  ... Maybe it was a handle that was returned and somebody took the screw out. I don't know. All I know is there is no screw in the damn handle.  Thanks for nothing.

Step back and take a deep breath...

If the screw were really missing/gone the top half of the dial with the numbers on it would turn independently of the bottom part with the threads and you wouldn't be able to dial the sight up and down.  I'm going to assume that's not the case...

If you look at this picture

you can see how you access the screw through the hole in the top.  Note how the aperture is flipped back to reveal the hole.

Now you just have to find the click that puts the set screw under the hole so you can get the wrench into it.  Usually the sights are shipped with it set so that all the way down is the 6/3 setting and the screw is lined up at that setting--mine was--but it's possible yours is different.  If you put it at the 6/3 setting that should put the screw under the hole, regardless of the height at that point.  

Once you have the screw loosened--don't take it all the way out--you turn the base so that the sight moves up 4 clicks.  The allen wrench keeps the indicator half of the dial from turning.  Then you lock it back down and you can click it back down to the bottom, which is no longer 6/3.  Re-zero the rifle at 50yds with it bottomed and you're all set.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top