Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/13/2006 5:39:31 PM EDT

I'd get it with the flat top and put my own scope or carry handle

What's the difference between that and an M4?

What's the difference between chrome-lined and chome moly?

Going on a Stag lower
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#1]
takes a long time to receive it i ordered that upper, patiently waiting for it to arrive.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd order it from someone in the EE.

Do I want chrome moly or chrome lined though?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:49:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:59:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I believe it is Troy who says, go chrome, or go home.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:01:56 PM EDT
[#5]
The RRA has a barrel that only uses the M4 profile on the exposed part of the barrel. Under the handguards is heavy unlike a real M4 barrel. But unless you plan on attaching an M203 or can't handle the minimal extra weight, it probably doesn't matter.

The RRA also uses 4140 steel as opposed to 4150 of a real M4. That's pretty much a non issue though.

The RRA has the feed ramps dremeled after assembly, so it looks a little sloppy but still functions the same. A real M4 would have the ramps cut prior to assembly.  

I myself prefer the added weight under the handguards. IMO, it adds a good balance to the rifle.

Choosing the RRA would not be a bad choice at all.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#6]
RRA is the way to go!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#7]
You want chrome-lined.  The barrel IS chrome-moly steel, you just want to make sure it has chrome lining to prevent corrosion among other things.  Most mil-spec type AR barrels are made of chrome-moly steel.  Unless it's stainless or something else higher-end for sniper or competition use, it usually goes without saying that it's a chrome-moly steel barrel.  Chrome-lined or not chrome-lined is the only question.

So to answer your question, chrome-moly is the type of steel that the barrel is made of.  Chrome lining is exactly that, chrome lining inside the barrel to prevent corrcsion, ease cleaning, add longevity, add muzzle velocity, etc.  Mil-spec calls for chrome lining inside the barrel.  Bare chrome-moly steel does not wear well as a barrel material and it is highly prone to corrosion. As an alloy of different metals, chrome-moly is not blended well, so it doesn't wear evenly.  When an unlined chrome-moly steel barrel wears out, it will be in the form of a bald spot in the middle of the bore somewhere and will usually show itself through bullers keyholing on target (hitting it sideways).  The bald spot is an area where a specific, weaker metal in the alloy is in a higher concentration and wears out faster than the metal surrounding it.  Stainless steel, as another popular barrel steel, wears out evenly as it's more uniformly blended and it is not nearly as prone to the accuracy-robbing corrosive pitting that chrome-moly is.  This is what makes tham ideal sniper and competition barrels.

Differences with the M4?  This is sort of their rendition of an M4.  The true M4 barrel is only 14.5 inches, this is 16" to comply with minimum legal length requirements.  I believe Rock River barrels are heavier under the H-guard than true mil-spec M4, but not sure

That detachable mount is crap, so I'd agree with you in losing it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
img.villagephotos.com/p/2002-4/18550/RRATacupper.gif

I'd get it with the flat top and put my own scope or carry handle

What's the difference between that and an M4?

What's the difference between chrome-lined and chome moly?

Going on a Stag lower

.........could build one for cheaper, or at least the same amount of money including tools, then forever and ever build my uppers with said tools for cheaper then anyone is selling them for.

Thats what I think of it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I think I'm gonna go with it if the price is right :)

Chrome-lined and flat top

I don't mind the weight at all, especially if it gives a little bit better balance as you said.

The Stag upper I wanted hasn't been in stock in forever.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:32:10 PM EDT
[#10]
you should try ADCO
build your M4
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:34:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:42:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I'd get a stag, that RRA has the thick barrel under the handguards, I think, it is a "cosmetic" m-4 barrel. Skip the goofy tactical carry handle if you do get.

Eagle has them for $440 but theyve been out of stock forever.  Everybody else wants well over $500
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:48:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I'd get a stag, that RRA has the thick barrel under the handguards, I think, it is a "cosmetic" m-4 barrel. Skip the goofy tactical carry handle if you do get.

I agree. I almost bought that exact upper but ended up buying a stag from G&R. The stag had a chrome lined barrel and no tactical carry handle for about the same price. I opted for the chrome lining and I have no regrets.  I lurked the EE until I found a used detatchable carry handle for a good price to hold me over until I can afford a decent optic.

Grant is an EXCELLENT guy to deal with fwiw.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:51:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:25:52 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Eagle has them for $440 but theyve been out of stock forever.  Everybody else wants well over $500

Eagle has very low prices on most stuff

$ 475 www.bravocompanyusa.com/CMT.html

This guy is worth checking for stag
www.rainierarms.com/

I have an LMT 16" on the carbine leaning against the wall in my bedroom

www.bravocompanyusa.com/LMT.html

You're paying for probably better quality metal in the barrel, a real (lighter) m-4 barrel and a 1/7 in twist-I think that's worth a couple of extra bucks, for whatever that's worth.

edit Stags are 1/9

edit 2-I'd get this instead of a carry handle, though that would depend on what optic you are eventually going to use

www.laruetactical.com/marketplace/servlet/Marketplaces?webEvent(ProductDetailAddPage,loadProduct)&productID=1859&scrollTop=808

Eagle is out.

Emailed Ranier, he's out for another couple weeks, but is willing to price match Eagle.

Bravocompany is on backorder

I think that covers all your links :p
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top