User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 3:16:56 PM EDT
Hey guys, does anyone except Olympic make a 40SW upper
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Ive been looking for one for several years,  I did find one lesser known company that was selling an upper for about $650.  Sorry but I cant remember the company name.  They were selling 20 round mags with the welded on conversion so they would fit into the standard magwell.  

This was well after the AWB and they wanted something like $79 bucks a piece for the mag, needless to say I passed on the idea.

Im still waiting for someone to make a reasonably priced upper and some less expensive magazines.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:25:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I think Oly is the only ones making them at the moment. MGI will probably add it to the queue of calibers they are making for their modular lower/ CQB upper system

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=125&t=321244
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:49:01 AM EDT
[#3]
That's what I was afraid of. You would think as popular as the 40 has become someone else would jump on this. I like the idea of the glock lower that Olympic makes, but I can't find much feedback on how good they are.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Alot of people will tell you to steer clear of Oly. But I've read their products don't suck as much as they used to. Don't own and haven't personally touched one, so I cant help you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:33:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:36:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Bohica made a few of them.

There is a complete gun (bohica) sitting in the rack at Silver State Arms in reno NV.  Looks like it uses a 41 AE uzi mag, and a colt style bolt.

Lem
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a Oly 10mm upper, using modified GG mags with a Cav Arms lower/Hahn mag block, and it works flawlessly.

I am also currently putting together a Colt-style .40S&W upper using UZI .41AE mags, a modified Colt 1-piece block, and a Colt bolt with the bolt face opened up. The UZI mags are hard to find now, but Sten mags may work with an adapter. Also, colt barrels are easy to make. There are several folks who could do one up for you in .40S&W.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]

There is a complete gun (bohica) sitting in the rack at Silver State Arms in reno NV. Looks like it uses a 41 AE uzi mag, and a colt style bolt

To bad I'm in GA. I plan to be in Reno in December, that the story of my life. Wrong place at the wrong time. I'll keep a watch on that RRA plan. That would be perfect.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
RRA showed a prototype 40 S&W LAR pistol in our booth at SHOT.  If we can work it out, we'll make it in LAR rifle and carbine versions.
Steve/RRA

Neat! What mags does it use?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:07:44 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
RRA showed a prototype 40 S&W LAR pistol in our booth at SHOT.  If we can work it out, we'll make it in LAR rifle and carbine versions.
Steve/RRA

Details and pics!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#11]
You may want to try to find out the optimum barrel length for 40SW. A 16" barrel actually has less velocity than a standard pistol barrel. After a certain length the gases aren't expanding enough to overcome the barrels grip on the bullet and the velocity begins to decrease. This is the reason I  lost interest in pistol caliber carbines.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:50:43 PM EDT
[#12]

You may want to try to find out the optimum barrel length for 40SW

I intend to suppress it anyway, so velocity loss can be a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:17:40 AM EDT
[#13]

RRA showed a prototype 40 S&W LAR pistol in our booth at SHOT. If we can work it out, we'll make it in LAR rifle and carbine versions.
Steve/RRA

Any time table estimate on when this might take place? 6 months, 1 year? Would you offer just an upper?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:43:26 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:46:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
If we do it, it'll be essentially the same as our 9mm LAR rifle and pistols offerings, with a new mag designed for 40S&W, but which will still fit the std mag conversion block.
Steve/RRA

details on the mag please. Round count and manufacturer?

ETA:  Awesome!  About time one of the big boys decided to make a .40.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:15:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top