Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 1:57:07 PM EDT
I have a Colt Sporter Target I have had for years. I was out sighting in a new Eotech and was told by a guy at the range who was looking at it that I have a Colt lower that was a transition gun. I was not sure what he meant but he went on to say that, it has the small sear pinhole and that they are hard to find. Is this guy correct? If he is, what do I have??
Thanks in advance,
Craiger
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
think the guy is full of it.

what i think you have is a sear block installed in your lower to prevent the insertion of a rdias or LL.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Model number would be R6551.  If it has a sear block, it would be a Blue Label, probably.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys for your answers. I have been looking at uppers, I am wanting a flat-top 16" mid and they all seem to have the small hole push pin that attaches the upper. My Colt has the large hole screw type attachment. who makes large hole flat-top uppers? Is there some sort of conversion kit? Sorry if these are stupid questions. I have searched the site but cannot seem to find anything.
Thanks,
Craiger

edited for spelling
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#4]

Is this what you're looking for?

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/we-003.asp
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:48:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes sir that is what I need.
Thank-you,
Craiger
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I would assume that what the guy was trying to say was that you have a Colt that has the small hammer/trigger group pins. Since my target model also has the same and NO sear block your's could be the same. What letters do your serial number start with? GS?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:19:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:27:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I would assume that what the guy was trying to say was that you have a Colt that has the small hammer/trigger group pins. Since my target model also has the same and NO sear block your's could be the same. What letters do your serial number start with? GS?

fxntime,
    I am not sure what he was saying as the range was busy that day everyone checking and sighting equipment for a 3gun, the next day and I really do not hear well with ear protection. I have the .168 trigger pins. He was pointing at the small pin above the fire position on the safety and said it had the small pinhole. He also said something about the barrel or the upper but I think he was talking about the barrel and said you will see one of these to 5 of the others.
The barrel is stamped   C MP 5.56 1/7
The SER. ST 0121XX
I just found it strange that someone I had never seen or talked to before took such interest in my Colt.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#9]
He was jealous you had a COLT and he had a copy? lol
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Is this what you're looking for?

www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/we-003.asp

You're much better off getting the conversion unit sold by  www.cdnninvestments.com.

The piece of junk sold by Bushie, and most everyone else, rotates every time you open the action, and has to be reset w/two screwdrivers.  The unit sold by CDNN stays in the correct position once set.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:09 AM EDT
[#11]
It sounds like he was referring to the different types of sear blocks Colt has used.  The first picture is from a pre-ban Colt Sporter Target Model and the pin holding the sear block is smaller than the one in the next picture which is from a pre-ban Colt AR-15 A2 Gov't Carbine.  Also, the smaller pin version only protrudes from the right side of the reciever whereas the the larger pin version protrudes from both sides of the receiver.

Link Posted: 2/17/2006 9:10:40 AM EDT
[#12]
I thought "transition" meant that a particular model rifle had a feature from a previous model. For instance, my Sporter HBAR was manufactured sometime in 1990. While it has A2 sights and A2 flash suppressor, the lower receiver has no raised fence around the mag release or magwell nor is there any type of receiver block. The bolt carrier is of the open end variety unlike the SP1. In Scott Duff's AR-15 book on the page of Colt serial number info it shows my model HBAR should have the fence. I believe there is a footnote for that particular rifle that mentions the word transition, but I am going on my memory alone.

I may be way off here but I believe my HBAR was one of the first ones to come out after Colt went PC and removed the bayonet lug and the "AR-15" from the receiver stamping, hence using the term "Sporter" instead.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:03:47 AM EDT
[#13]
I like how Colt decided to self regulate their customers by installing sear blocks, larger front pins, and larger trigger group pins. Now trying to keep civilians from owning even semi-auto's and regulating their new gas piston uppers for LE only. Sorry but I don't understand the lure of Colt these days anymore considering.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 10:48:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I like how Colt decided to self regulate their customers by installing sear blocks, larger front pins, and larger trigger group pins. Now trying to keep civilians from owning even semi-auto's and regulating their new gas piston uppers for LE only. Sorry but I don't understand the lure of Colt these days anymore considering.

a deal made that allowed them to keep selling the AR15 at all

In a word (or 2) Law suits.

In our increasingly litigious society, it has become sporting to sue everyone anytime something happens

and plaintiffs look for those with the money
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:39:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Well to shed some more light on my original post. Stopped in at a shop that is a RRA dealer and builds custom AR's from RRA parts. Showed him my rifle and was told by him “I am Para Phrasing” that this Colt lower has not be altered by Colt at the factory and the lower can be legally used to make a full auto rifle if you have the proper permits, which I cannot have here, He also said you could have the selector switch changed to add the 3 shot burst if it was made into full auto. I had never heard of this, but the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. Does this sound right? Sorry if all this sounds stupid this just has peeked my curiosity.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 3:44:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Craiger, Can you post pictures of both the leftside and right side of your lower receivers? Also open it up and take a pic of the sear block if you have one. If you do have the small sear block pin like Molon pictured it is in the wrong place and is the wrong size for what was used for the autosear in a full auto rifle.

SPTiger, I'll bet your rifle has an SP serial number. Those use the older SP1 receiver with the newer rollmarks. This is what I have. In another thread someone said the SP no.'d receivers were the old slabside type and the ST no.'d are the ones with the full mag fence. Both would be Blue Label guns.

I started a picture thread in the Colt Industry forum for transitional rollmarks. You guys may find it an interesting thread. And it would be cool to see what you have. You can "X" out the last 2 or 3 digits of your serial numbers if you like.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:08:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Well to shed some more light on my original post. Stopped in at a shop that is a RRA dealer and builds custom AR's from RRA parts. Showed him my rifle and was told by him “I am Para Phrasing” that this Colt lower has not be altered by Colt at the factory and the lower can be legally used to make a full auto rifle if you have the proper permits, which I cannot have here, He also said you could have the selector switch changed to add the 3 shot burst if it was made into full auto. I had never heard of this, but the guy seemed to know what he was talking about. Wanted to know if I wanted to sell it. Does this sound right? Sorry if all this sounds stupid this just has peeked my curiosity.

I think I would tell him $1200.00 and the lower is his.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:15:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Well so much for that SP/ST serial number theory. Colt's strikes again.

You're sear block pin is too far rearward, besides being too big for an autosear pin. The dealer you spoke to didn't know what he was talking about. Pretty much what I expected.

The Blue Label Sporter models, Sporter Target and Sporter Match HBAR, were very mixed lot of rifles. Colt was transitioning from the old SP1 style lower receiver with it's large pivot pin, small fire control pins, no sear block and no mag fence to it's newer A2 type receiver with small pivot pin, large fire control pins, sear block and mag fence. For a while Colt's was using whatever they had on hand and you can find some real different configurations. This irritates the heck out of some people, but most of the Colt owner's find it "interesting". It also makes for very interesting collecting if you're into serious Colt collecting.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:15:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks everyone for taking the time to share your information.
Take care,
Craiger
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top