Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/12/2006 4:07:25 PM EDT
I purchased a couple of lowers when I was stationed outside CA.  My home state (record) is CA.  Is it possible to register my lowers in CA even though I am outside the state at this moment?  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:10:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#2]
That's a new one.  I know for nonresidents who are given orders to CA we can register our AWs prior to moving into the state.  But, for those CA residents who don't live there, I'm not sure.  I recently read something to the effect that if you're moving into the state as a civilian there is a process to register your AWs.  However, I don't know anything about that process.  Good luck with this, and good advice to check the hometown forums.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I wouldn't mind knowing if Military can bring AR's into CA as well.  I'm not from there, but I never know where I'll be stationed next...  If I get stationed there, nearly all of my weapons will be illegal from what I know...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:16:22 PM EDT
[#4]

I wouldn't mind knowing if Military can bring AR's into CA as well. I'm not from there, but I never know where I'll be stationed next... If I get stationed there, nearly all of my weapons will be illegal from what I know...

Wonder if the NRA has considered lobbying for some remedy for gun owning military folks in that situation.  With all that military folks are doing for our country, that kind of petty harassment has no place.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:24:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are on AD you can take your AR to CA as long as you get orders there.  They no longer let civilians moving into the state bring their ARs.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 5:32:10 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you are on AD you can take your AR to CA as long as you get orders there.  They no longer let civilians moving into the state bring their ARs.

I've got all the forms saved to apply to bring AWs into California if anyone is interested...

Spooky
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:38:42 AM EDT
[#7]
A guy from the Navy marksmanship unit shot in a match in my club recently and said that guys on his squad have stil had guns confiscated, taking them there to shoot matches.  Even though I think there's a lame provision in the law for that case.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I am AD Marine and would almost rather deny orders to to CA than to even go through the hastle of registering what I have already registered. Ca Lawmakers have it all mixed up.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:38 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
A guy from the Navy marksmanship unit shot in a match in my club recently and said that guys on his squad have stil had guns confiscated, taking them there to shoot matches.  Even though I think there's a lame provision in the law for that case.

We need more details on this.

CA law allows one to take an evil AW into California IF you are a resident of another state, and IF you are going to an organized shooting competition, and IF the evil AW leaves the state as soon as a competition is over.  

It is very wise to keep a copy of the match program(s) of the matches being attended to prove such legality to any interested LEO.  It is also wise to unass the state ASAP after the end of the last match you are there to shoot.

It is also illegal to use a temporarily imported evil AW for anything other than an organized shooting competition.  Don't go plinking at the local range and get caught.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 4:31:52 PM EDT
[#10]

We need more details on this.

CA law allows one to take an evil AW into California IF you are a resident of another state, and IF you are going to an organized shooting competition, and IF the evil AW leaves the state as soon as a competition is over.

That's all the info I have, sorry.

I have exchanged email with people on a ca-firearms mailing list and they suggested there would be a risk of confiscation too.  Kind of like taking a handgun to compete back home in NY state, doesn't seem worth the hassle to me.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top