Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 7:15:55 PM EDT
I've got a DSA ZM4 lower that I bought on the EE. Who makes this? LMT, RRA, CMT?? All replies are greatly appreciated!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:34:45 PM EDT
[#1]
DS Arms makes DSA recievers for the AR and the FAL.

DSA Inc
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#2]
DS Arms lowers are made by LMT.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:08:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks! I couldn't remember which who made it, now I do.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:01:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Yep, the DS Arms lower I had was virtually identical to the Lauer Custom Weaponry (also made by LMT) that I've got except for the markings.  Both purchased from Denny.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yep, the DS Arms lower I had was virtually identical to the Lauer Custom Weaponry (also made by LMT) that I've got except for the markings.  Both purchased from Denny.

All lowers are identical to each other, if made to the TDP specs.  

I am amazed at some of the brand-name Kool Aid drunk around here......
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:38:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If only Colt has the TDP specs how are all lowers made to the same spec?

Just curious.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but per BATF rules a firearm must be stamped with the city that the maker is in.  Therefore if the lower were made by LMT it would be stamped Milan, Illinois (like the old PWA lowers, made by LMT in Milan, Il but sold by PWA in Washington state).  The DSA lowers are marked with the city DSA is in.  Therefore I would say LMT does not make their lowers, DSA probably does.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 9:48:25 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You can't be serious.

No.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:46:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I couldn't have said it any better myself.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:48:03 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Correct me if I am wrong, but per BATF rules a firearm must be stamped with the city that the maker is in.  Therefore if the lower were made by LMT it would be stamped Milan, Illinois (like the old PWA lowers, made by LMT in Milan, Il but sold by PWA in Washington state).  The DSA lowers are marked with the city DSA is in.  Therefore I would say LMT does not make their lowers, DSA probably does.

DSA receivers are infact manufactured by LMT. Trust me.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:19:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I'm sitting here looking at a DSA and a Lauer lower. There's no way they were forged/ machined by the same outfit. Different lines, especially behind the forward assist.

I'd love this Lauer/ DSA mystery to be solved. Not because it matters, just because knowledge is cool, mmmkay?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 3:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
A license manufacturer can make for another licensed manufacturer and put only the one he is making it for info on the lower. I think they file some type variance or letter to the atf to do it.

The same company may buy forgings from different forge companies which can account for the forgings looking different even from the same company. What you have to look for are machining differences such as no side hole in the front pivot spring portion of the lower, one selector stop not milled half off, height of the rear shelf, how far the threads run through on the buffer tube area and pistol grip thread, machined off forge lines or ones left on the lower, The rear corners of the fire control portion for the extra machining steps on the back corners, where the lower machining is placed on the forging, the front milled portion between the pivot ears. the stlye of the engraving and on...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am assuming you have first hand knowledge that LMT makes the lowers i.e. you work there.

But I dont trust anything I dont see evidence of.  Dont take it personally, I am not saying you are wrong.   Could you point out the section of code where its legal for a maker to mark a firearm with someone elses name and location?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:49:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What did I write that had anything to do with brand name Kool-aid drinking?  I simply answered a question.

And no, not all lowers are identical.  Comparing a Bushmaster lower with a DS Arms lower, you will find differences.  My statement stands.  All the cuts, radii, finish, etc on ther DS Arms lower I had and the Lauer Lower I have are the same.  YMMV.

How do I know DS Arms lowers are made by LMT?  Easy, I asked the people at DS Arms on the phone and they positively confirmed my question.

Wow, even the technical forums are filling up with now.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:32:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am assuming you have first hand knowledge that LMT makes the lowers i.e. you work there.

But I dont trust anything I dont see evidence of.  Dont take it personally, I am not saying you are wrong.   Could you point out the section of code where its legal for a maker to mark a firearm with someone elses name and location?

Caspian arms makes frames for Nighthawk customs.

the receivers are marked "nighthawk customs"

it is legal, I believe someone referred to it as "a letter of variance"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top