Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 2:20:16 PM EDT
Hello all.

I'm starting to become interested in acquiring an AR-15, but I have a question.

My wife is recoil sensitive, and does not like the recoil on my Mauser rifle.  But she is much more accurate with a rifle than with a pistol.  It's not the main reason I want an AR-15, but I figure if I get a rifle that she can handle it'd make her more interested in shooting.

To give you an idea, I'm not sure if it helps at all, but with handguns, she doesn't like my 9mm Beretta 92 either, but she can handle my .32 Tomcat and my Ruger MKII.

What is the recoil like on an Ar-15 compared to say, a full rifle like my Yugo M48 shoots,, or a 9mm carbine like the storm?

Sorry for my Naiveness, but I've never fired anything in .223 Rem/5.56 Nato.

Also, does .223 blow up water jugs like a full rifle caliber would?

Thanks,

ArmoredCat
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Its a pussycat and will blow the hell out a water jug.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Recoil in a .223 AR-15?  What recoil?

All kidding aside, the recoil is very mild compared to just about anything else out there.  In fact, my 11 year-old cousin enjoys shooting AR-15s owned by various members of the family, therefore your wife should not have a problem handling one.

Going one step further, I have found that recoil is almost nonexistent with factory .223 varmint rounds, BUT, some AR-15s are picky about cycling them through.  The military 5.56 loads seem to recoil a tad bit harder, but it is still considerably less than 7.62x39 fired from an SKS or AK.

Edited to Add:  Welcome to ar15.com
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Much less than a bigger caliber bolt rifle or sks. I've terminated many a water jug with mine!!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:33:27 PM EDT
[#4]
My 6 year old son loves to shoot my m4. No recoil to speak of.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
she will be very happy and your AR will be HER AR once she sees how little recoil there is.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:54:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello all.

My wife is recoil sensitive, and does not like the recoil on my Mauser rifle.  But she is much more accurate with a rifle than with a pistol.  It's not the main reason I want an AR-15, but I figure if I get a rifle that she can handle it'd make her more interested in shooting.

To give you an idea, I'm not sure if it helps at all, but with handguns, she doesn't like my 9mm Beretta 92 either, but she can handle my .32 Tomcat and my Ruger MKII.

What is the recoil like on an Ar-15 compared to say, a full rifle like my Yugo M48 shoots,, or a 9mm carbine like the storm?

Thanks,

ArmoredCat

First off:  Recoil is like that of any .22 long rifle.  None really.

Second: What do you mean " Full rifle caliber?  WTF???  .223/5.56 is a full rifle caliber.

Just buy one, you both will love it, as will your children(if you have any).

Travis
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[
What do you mean " Full rifle caliber?  

Travis

The .458 Winchester Magnum is a good "full rifle caliber" too!    Once you shoot one, you may not want to shoot it again.  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:03:57 PM EDT
[#8]
As the others have said, the .223/5.56 has virtually no recoil. But the many people not familiar with guns tend to confuse the movement of the bolt assembly in a semi auto as recoil. The rifle will move around, muzzle jump and such, but it's not really recoil. If you have a place near you that rents guns then I would sugguest renting out a Ruger .223 bolt action to show her how little recoil the round has. Then let her shoot an AR or Mini14 and point out all the extra movement is just the operating system doing its job rather than recoil.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:04:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Its more than a 9mm carbine but not much more.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[
What do you mean " Full rifle caliber?  

Travis

The .458 Winchester Magnum is a good "full rifle caliber" too!    Once you shoot one, you may not want to shoot it again.  

Bring it on.

I'll shoot anything once or twice.

Travis
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:20:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Its more than a 9mm carbine but not much more.

comparing to my colt 6450 the recoil on the ar is less.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:23:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Depneds on weight of weapon, buffer type, ammo type etc.  I have shot two different 5.56 rifles that had at least 50% difference in recoil though they looked similar.  Were you the guy who uses a tape switch on his magwell?  That AR has some of the least recoil I have felt on an AR.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Hi ArmoredCat, and welcome to the board.

Your wife will certainly appreciate the very low recoil of the AR15 rifle. That's one of the great things about them, you could shoot them for hours comfortably. My son's been shooting my AR since he was ten, now he's twelve and he has his own. He hardly shoots his Marlin .22 now.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#14]
The AR-15's greatest attribute is the lack of recoil and relatively lightweight. Also, the ergonomics.

This allows you to take a small figured, totally untrained female, spend 30 minutes with her, and with a properly configured AR (scoped with a bipod), have her hitting man-sized targets at 400 yards with EASE.

Now, that's what I call a good tool for defending liberty.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:58:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I was shooting my dad's AR when I was eight and could do it perfectly fine.

Very light recoil.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
It vibrates more than recoils. It a whole lot bark with very little kick.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:24:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Depneds on weight of weapon, buffer type, ammo type etc.  I have shot two different 5.56 rifles that had at least 50% difference in recoil though they looked similar.  Were you the guy who uses a tape switch on his magwell?  That AR has some of the least recoil I have felt on an AR.

no tape switch, dont think i have had the pleasure to meet you.

both my 9mm and my 5.56 have the mgi buffer so the both run the same buffer and are atually plain and similar other than the caliber.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:25:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I put the buttstock up to my balls and squeeze off a few rounds to convince any girls that might be at the range with us that it doesn't kick.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:37:24 PM EDT
[#19]

What do you mean " Full rifle caliber?  WTF???  .223/5.56 is a full rifle caliber.

Just buy one, you both will love it, as will your children(if you have any).

Travis

.223 is considered by many to be an intermediate caliber.  Incidently, that's part of the definition of "assault rifle" (e.g. M16, AK-47, G36), a select-fire rifle chambered in an intermediate caliber.  That's opposed to a main battle rifle, chamber in a "full" rifle caliber such as 30-06, .308 Win, etc.

This guy shoots 8x57 probably in his Mauser, which is definitely a "full" caliber in comparison to the .223 Rem
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I put the buttstock up to my balls and squeeze off a few rounds to convince any girls that might be at the range with us that it doesn't kick.

That would be plenty proof that an AR doesn't recoil. Just don't try that with a Mauser.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#21]
recoil is practically non-existant

add on a rubber butt pad and a nice cheek rest, and its smooth
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Wife was Army, had more of an issue with length of pull on the M16A2 than anything.

She shoots my M4gery just fine adjusted to her small stature, but the muzzle blast is rather loud.

For some reason she decided my Kel Tec SU16 is hers, and has stuck with it.

And she hates my Mosin Nagant carbine with a passion.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:31:57 PM EDT
[#23]
It hurts slightly less than a branding iron. Just kidding, chicks dig the AR:

get one and put a red dot or other optic on it and I'm sure your wife will love it
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:38:14 PM EDT
[#24]
For most people, the noise is more of an issue then recoil.  If you live in a freedom friendly state, consider getting a suppressor.  Not only will it cut mussel blast, they are the ultimate  in recoil reducers!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:44:26 PM EDT
[#25]
No kick or recoil, just a whole lot of noise!  THe noise will scare her more than anything!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#26]
+1 to all comments above.

Full rifle calibers are fun, I just shot a .30-06 for the first time this weekend. About 40 rounds worth and my shoulder is still tender. But worth every abusive shot.

landslide.dyndns.org/ar15/700.jpg

Pic of the lovely.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:17:09 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

FWIW, a guy at the range let me shoot a few mags through his storm a few weeks ago. I thought that the "recoil" of the storm was roughly equivalent to my M4--which is to say.......very little "recoil." And, as others have said, it's not really recoil in the traditional sense.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:53:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I was actually surprised at the Beretta Storm 9mm recoil. It's more than I expected.

In all honesty, the AR will recoil a bit more than the 9mm and be about twice as loud. But, it should be good for waht you're intending. The only other "common" rifle that seems to recoild less is your typical 10/22.

Let's put it this way. Even a newbie who's never fire a gun won't cut themselves from the scope from an AR unlike a .308/.30-06/8mm Mauser bolt action.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 4:38:25 AM EDT
[#29]
What recoil ?

She will do fine. Hardly any felt recoil .... noisy, yes! Recoil, no.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:02:52 AM EDT
[#30]
Plug:  MGI Rate Reducing Buffer calms down a Carbine to pussycat levels.  Great product.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:03:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Back in the day, 1992, I did a two week reserve stint as a troop handler at the School of Infantry at Camp Pendleton.  As luck would have it, I got to hump Mount Mother again, but I also got to fire the SAW.  Nice thing about being staff versus student is that all the left over ammo is yours.  

Anyways, some of the kids were a little apprehensive about shooting the SAW.  Alot of them came from non-shooting families.  So we saw alot of flinching, and tensing up right before trigger pull.  I mean real bad, like waiting to be kicked by a mule.  I gathered up the second relay and held a little class.  I started the class by using my baby sister as an example, who was 10 at the time.  She fired her first rounds at 4, and shot both my AR, and one belonging to my father and loved it.  I added that to date, she had never been afraid of any gun, or recoil, and she would love a chance to shoot the SAW.  She would laugh at you guys if she saw you flinching like sissies.  

The kids got the point, and subsequent relays really had a lot more fun.  

If a 10 year old girl can shoot an AR, and have fun, your wife will love it.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:22:50 AM EDT
[#32]
You won't be disappointed and neither will she.  Just be prepared to get a 2nd one.  As stated before she will love it so much you might not get to shoot it.  
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 5:31:01 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Hello all.

Thanks,

ArmoredCat

I do not think the AR-15 would be a good choice. Since I am only 17 all my guns have to be given to me as gifts by my parents. Also, I have to with an adult when I go shooting. Guess who I go with?

MOMMY!

She usually just sits back and watches my brother and I blast away. We have a hard time trying to get her to shoot the "Big guns", basically anything over .22 and 9mm. She enjoys shooting the .22 LR Ruger Mk II Target, and ocassionally she will shoot the Lugers with us. But that is IT! Kimber Warrior, Beretta 96 Vertec, HK USP .40 S&W, nope, the kick is too much for her.
I thought it would be a good idea to get her to try the M4 one day. Keep in mind it only weighs perhaps 8-9 pounds with all the crap I have on it. Immediatly she complained that it was too heavy and long, but I told her to adjust the stock and that seemed to help. Then I gave her a thrity round mag and told her to have fun! After about 4 rounds she actually complained of the kick! WTF?

My mother is by no means a weak person or anything, she worked in a heavy lifting factory for some of her life, and can bench press about 95lbs, pretty good for a women. But she disliked the M4 alot.

You need to rent one or something before you buy her something that she may never enjoy. You could always have fun though .
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:20:25 PM EDT
[#34]
My six y/o son and 8 y/o daughter both love to shoot my 16" HBAR.  Now that I replaced the A2 stock with a CAR 4 position, they can both hold it correctly and they shoot the hell out of it.

My son weighs in at 53 lbs and my daughter at 55 lbs.  Felt recoil is nothing for either of them...

Although, I do have another problem now...my son wants a CAR stock on his Crosman BB gun.  Guess I'm gonn have to go Airsoft...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:26:47 PM EDT
[#35]
like shootn a .410 or a .22lr
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top