Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/11/2006 8:22:31 AM EDT
Is there any way to legally own a Colt, marked M16 or M16A1, Property of US Gov't.? Supposedly the sear hole was pinned/welded and the fire control group is all semi.  Someone I spoke with recently said he saw one about five years ago that was up for sale and the owner said it was perfectly legal and that he also had documentation.

I never saw one of these before, but it doesn't sound right.
Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is there any way to legally own a Colt, marked M16 or M16A1, Property of US Gov't.? Supposedly the sear hole was pinned/welded and the fire control group is all semi.  Someone I spoke with recently said he saw one about five years ago that was up for sale and the owner said it was perfectly legal and that he also had documentation.

Any thoughts?

Better get a ruling from the BATF because they generally say "Once a machine gun, ALWAYS a machine gun".  
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:56:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:35:43 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Any thoughts?

I think there has been an M16 marked Colt AR15 for sale on Sturmgewehr. IIRC, it is a laminate build with the left side sliced from an M16 and welded onto a matching cut AR15 receiver. I think this is advertised as built by Norrel, but I'm not sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
There are transferrable US government-marked M16s that were remanufactured from cut up surplus M16 receiver pieces.  I guess someone could have taken similar receiver pieces, welded the autosear hole in the rear piece shut, then welded all the receiver pieces together to make a semi-auto receiver that still had the M16 markings.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but that's the only legal way to do it that I can think of.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
"Once a machine gun, ALWAYS a machine gun".  

Once destroyed a machine gun in no longer a machine gun.

Quoted:
There are transferrable US government-marked M16s that were remanufactured from cut up surplus M16 receiver pieces.  I guess someone could have taken similar receiver pieces, welded the autosear hole in the rear piece shut, then welded all the receiver pieces together to make a semi-auto receiver that still had the M16 markings.

I've never heard of anyone actually doing that, but that's the only legal way to do it that I can think of.

Correct, the same way Hahn Machine welded up destroyed M14 and AR-10 receivers into semiauto, John Norrell did up some semiauto M16A1 receivers.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:58:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the replies, I find this very interesting. So -in theory- this could have been a legitimate weapon.

In the case of the rewelded M14 receivers, would there be any documentation/paperwork required? What about the M16 panels?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top