Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:32:19 PM EDT
I was having a few Beers the other night watching some Sci-fi. (V if you were wondering) But I noticed the rifle that the aliens were using. The forward grip was mounted on the left side of the barrel. My Ar15 is pretty plain jane compared to alot of other one. I have basic standard hand guards. But I know some people have hand guards that you can mount stuff all the way around. Has anyone ever tried mounting a grip on the side and holding the rifle like a Sten.

Maybe I can find some pictures later.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:06:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Maybe I can find some pictures later.

Thats okay, dont waste your time.......................................
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
what would you gain? how would you shoulder the weapon and keep it steady? Are you plannign on shooting from the hip like Arnie?
If you are indeed an alien with multiple appendages and a laser rifle that aims for you, it may work out just fine...
For us humans, I think mounted on the bottom (or not at all if that suits you) will be the best bet...
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:21:20 PM EDT
[#3]
How about one you could bite and hold with your teeth. That would be cool.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:24:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:47:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the point is it will be used in the verticla position even if its mounted on the side.  We all know current military and police shooting techniques utilez the wepon held at 90 degrees in the strong hand.  The side mounted vertical grip just allows it to remain in the normal position when using this more modern shooting technique.

Dont forget to include the new style pistol shooting technique with it.  It requires that your holster be mounted on the wrong side so its facing away cross draw style so you can get his kind of a shooting grip.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:53:05 PM EDT
[#6]
]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
socal.southwestmovies.com/VTheFinalBattle/finalbattle28.jpg]

hahahahh...bwahahahahah..

Check out the guy in the back right up against the metal gate.....

He's like..."Dont look at me...I didn't do it."

Too funny.What kind of C rate movie did that pic come from?...hahah
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:13:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
socal.southwestmovies.com/VTheFinalBattle/finalbattle28.jpg]

hahahahh...bwahahahahah..

Check out the guy in the back right up against the metal gate.....

He's like..."Dont look at me...I didn't do it."

Too funny.

What kind of C rate movie did that pic come from?...hahah

V.

At one time I had thought about useing a four rail to mount a pistol grip on the left rail and bottom rail . Mount a long range optic on the top rail and a red dot on the right . I then realised I was being retarded .

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:46:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Those guys didn't get the memo.  Orange is sooooooo not tacticool.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:00:24 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd never bother trying it because it wouldn't work out well and here's why.

First, it wouldn't accomplish what a VFG mounted in the traditional manner would which is make it easier to shoulder the rifle for extended periods of time. It's all about ergonomics.

Second, while it might reduce the vertical profile of the rifle somewhat (a 30 round mag extends a little further than a VFG anyway), it would make the horizontal profile of the rifle wider and I would bet you would find yourself catching the VFG on all sorts of things (e.g. doorways, brush, etc.)

Third, having the VFG mounted on the side of the rifle would probably cause you to pull the rifle to the side which would  correspondingly throw your shots off.

Last but not least, never ever emulate what you see on TV or in movies. They do things with firearms that look cool but rarely work.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Last but not least, never ever emulate what you see on TV or in movies. They do things with firearms that look cool but rarely work.

That bears repeating .
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:41:41 AM EDT
[#12]
mounting the vert grip on the side
  1 might scratch your other safe queens
  2 works great if ya plan to shoot gansta style
  3 great if ya need a friend to help hold yer AR up cause ya got so much crap mounted on it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 9:50:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Those guys didn't get the memo.  Orange is sooooooo not tacticool.

Bullshit!!

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:00:16 AM EDT
[#14]
A good vertical grip on the BOTTOM of a rifle is also very handy for gripping when you tuck your weapon under your arm on long marches.

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That bears repeating .

So this one time I saw a movie with Kiefer Sutherland and he was shooting at somene running away, so he made his arm into a V with his hand at his face, rested his REVOLVER at the point of the V for support, and pulled the trigger.  Wow he obtained great accuracy using that method because he gunned the person down.

Fast forward to me purchasing my first revolver.  We were out in the mountains, shooting at long range and I figured, well why not try hitting stuff from really far away with my revolver.  So, I made my arm into a V pointing my elbow at the target, hand by my face.  I nestled the revolver into the point of the V for support, and slowly pulled the trigger.  BOOM.  Searing pain in my arm, both below the elbow and above it.

Because of the gap between the cylinder and the barrel, I guess gas shoots out the side, gas that is VERY hot and moving very fast (I know everyone knows this but I didnt at the time.  I received a 3rd degree burn on my arm below the elbow and a second degree burn on my arm above the elbow.  i still have powder flecks underneath the skin.  Here are some pictures.

My sweatshirt from above the elbow.  Notice the burned area.  Second degree burns on the skin.

My sweatshirt below the elbow, it blew a hole in it, thrid degree burns on the skin (as you can see).

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 12:56:48 PM EDT
[#16]
that takes balls to share!!!! thanks for the laugh!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top