Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 4:24:16 PM EDT
Will you need a new lower for the 6.8?  Also, who all is making the uppers?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:27:16 PM EDT
[#1]
No, std AR lowers work fine.

Take a while a go through the 70 pages of 6.8 thread that is tacked at the top of the AR Discusions page.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard AR lower is what it takes although there are some that mark them with the 6.8 rollmark. As far as manufacturers there are Barrett, PRI, Bravo Co., MSTN, and thats all I can think of right now.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:37:11 PM EDT
[#3]
What is the link to PRI and the MSTN company?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:20:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't forget Model 1 sales.

G
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#6]
eaglefirearms sells the 6.8 lowers from Stag.

All you need is a new bolt/barrel/mag. You can get away with loading about 2-3 in a 5.56 magazine.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:49:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been looking for an upper for some time now.
I have yet to make a decision.
I was all set to buy a Model 1 Sales upper, then the problems that Bravo Co. and some others have had with the chrome E.R. Shaw barrels scared me away for a while.
So I started researching again.
I also thought to wait until after SHOT to see what crops up.

These are the current players that I know -

Barrett - Feddersen barrel ($$$$ and I have never seen a Barrett upper yet)
Bravo Company - Shaw barrel
CMMG -
DPMS - they told me they make their own barrels
Eagle Firearms -Shaw
Jarvis - excellent reputation
J&T Distributing -
Leitner-Wise - Shaw ( $$$$ gas-piston)
Model 1 Sales - Shaw
MSTN -
PRI - $$$$

Right now I am leaning toward the CMMG 16” 6.8 Mid-Length Upper.
I understand that the mid-length is recommended in the 6.8 for functioning, although some have carbine length gas system with no problems.

Please correct me if I have anything wrong or if you can add someone to the list.

I will appreciate any recommendations for an upper, but bear in mind I plan to buy 3 uppers once I settle on one and must keep the cost down around $500 per upper.

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I was all set to buy a Model 1 Sales upper, then the problems that Bravo Co. and some others have had with the chrome E.R. Shaw barrels scared me away for a while.

What problems are you refering to?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:02:29 PM EDT
[#9]
On another thread here there was a caution about the M1S barrels being too tight after chrome lining was applied and causing pressure problems. I think Silver State also backed off on their FMJ ammo 200 fps because of this.

Also, Paul at Bravo Co assembled a bunch of 6.8 uppers with M1S barrels and they would not even chamber a round. I don't know what he wound up doing.

I know a lot of you folks have M1S uppers and have no problems, but I don't know if they are the chrome-lined or not.

I personally want a chrome-lined barrel.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:27:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Timanator

This is the thread - ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263211

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:55:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Timanator

This is the thread - ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=263211

Thanks. cptrfwright.

I have done alot of loading and testing on the 6.8 before I finally gave it up. The 6.5 has more options for bullets which will make it a better shooter for the civilians. And since the 6.8 will never get adopted by the mil the cheap ammo is out the door. Too bad Remington dropped the ball on this.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I will lay the disclaimer that I am buying both a 6.5 and 6.8 and will enjoy/use each in their own rite - does that relinquish me as a basher of either?

Anyway, another good source for a great quality and price 6.8 (where mine is coming from) is John Holliger of White Oak Precision. He will be turning out some Wilson stainless barrels (in the proper chamber dimensions) in the next week or two for $270 in any barrel profile you want. The $270 wasn't a complete upper, just a barrel assembly, but I'm sure it would be worth your while to ask if he'll do a complete upper for you. He will also be chambering a wildcatted 6.8 - a 6.8 necked down to 6mm. I've done some shopping and I was sold with John and the recommendations he comes with.

I will admit though, I'm a little skeptical of how 6.8 will fair in the long run because of the seeming mishandling of it by Remington. Will ammo ever be as inexpensive/available as Grendel ammo will be in 2 months? Will consumer demand be satisfied with both sets of very different ballistics for the long run? I dunno...
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 6:25:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Didn't know that about Shaw, thanks.

G
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top