Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:55:01 AM EDT
How difficult should it be to close the dust cover?  Mine takes a lot of pressure to do so.  Watching my father close his with one finger leaves me wondering why I have to really push hard to close mine.  TIA
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#1]
should take a little pressure to close it. Does it open normally?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:25 AM EDT
[#2]
put a drop of oil on the detent on the dust cover. That should help.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Functions 100%.

Edited to add.
I put a drop in there and pushed the detent many times to get the oil in there with the same result.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:15:08 AM EDT
[#4]
My brand new Colt 11.5" upper is a motherf'er to close.  I actually have to tap my fingernail on the detent to get it to shut.  I'm getting the file out shortly.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:09:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm having a similar problem and I put some oil on the detent and then pressed it down and it won't pop back up....
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 3:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Hummm, these "stiff" dust cover issues would not perhaps be on the newish BCM upper products would they?

Mike

ps - fwiw, it's the only thing I could possibly find slight disapproval (not a big enough deal to warrant a true "complaint" IMO) with on my BCM M4, as mines harder than any other upper I own to close.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 4:02:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Bushmaster, purchased Jan '06

detent stuck in

Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:23:28 AM EDT
[#8]
There is most likely a burr on the inside of the area where the ball bearing is. Replace that and inspect the spring and area where they all go. Dust cover's are cheap if you have to replace it or a small jeweler's file would fix it.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top