Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2006 6:17:06 PM EDT
I had heard some talk awhile back about people using a H buffer ? in their rifles and that it had something to do with reliability issues. Can anyone explain this to me and while were at it any other tips or mods that I can do to increase the reliability of my AR? Such as a bigger o ring on the extraction and such. Or should I stick with the old "if it aint broke don't fix it"  I have a RR tac entry if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:37:49 PM EDT
[#1]
A lot of people use H and even heavier buffers on SBRs , Full Autos , and AR pistols.

A normal 16" Car should run fine with a standard car buffer.

RR makes decent ARs , should run good out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:49:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
RR makes decent ARs , should run good out of the box.

And so far it does, just seems I head so many little tid bits of info, like if you this this and this then it will run better, or this will make sure your trigger breaks better. Ect... Just looking to make the reliable rifle I can.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#3]
A heavier buffer will give you less recoil and muzzle climb.  A JP 4lb trigger spring will improve your trigger alot...

TS
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:55:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an H buffer in my mid-length along with an ISMI recoil spring and my bolt locks open with Q3131 and WWB 45gr. varmint no problem. In a carbine length gas system, I'd start with an H2.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I put a H2 buffer, and Wolfe extra power spring in my carbine. It made a difference.
Reliability was never an issue, I made the mods to make follow up shots quicker.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Using a different buffer than the one that came with your stock will not likely increase reliability.

A lot of people use H and even heavier buffers on SBRs , Full Autos , and AR pistols.

In these instances are the only times I have heard of a Heavy buffer increasing reliability.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:04:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I used to run a regular carbine buffer, but when I switched to a VLTOR, it came with an H buffer.  Both ran/run perfectly.  I would just run the carbine buffer if you already have it, but if you want to reduce recoil some you could get the H buffer.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If your AR works fine.. It would already be reliable...Experiment, but remember what works best in your gun.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:44:49 AM EDT
[#9]
My Colt AR15's all came with H buffers.

My Bushmaster originally had the CAR buffer, which I changed to the H

I have never had a buffer related issue, but use the H since it is widely advertised as being the more reliable option

Haven't tried the H2/H3, or 9mm buffers, but those who use them endorse them

there is a 10+ page thread on the topic around here somewhere
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:55:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top