Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/9/2006 2:59:51 PM EDT
I am thinking of joining a gun club is open air better one or indoor one where you are confined to your own box.

thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:04:31 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't shoot outside when it's raining or snowing (well, you can with rain, but I wouldn't recommend it). If you're indoors, you get more lead exposure.

I'm a member of a gun club with indoor and outdoor ranges. I should outside when the weather's nice, inside when the weather's lousy.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I like to shoot outdoors, it's easier on the ears and I enjoy the fresh air. You might have to take the weather into consideration though, if its too hot, cold or wet where you are you may want to just plink indoors.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:17:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't mind shooting in rain, snow, heat, cold, mud & even hail... But I hate wind.  If there were an indoor range in my neck of the woods I'd join just to be able to shoot without the damn wind.  As to higher lead exposure in an indoor range, I think they have to have a ventillation system installed.  Even at that, I'd put mustard on lead and eat the freakin stuff if it meant not having to deal with WIND.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the climate. If it never snowed here, or got bitterly cold, I'd always shoot outdoors. I don't like the thought of shooting in a massive thunderstorm, but a little sprinkling never hurt anyone.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:32:20 PM EDT
[#5]
also indoor ranges are usually shorter than outdoor ranges.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:33:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Outside.   What's not to love?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Definilty like outdoor ranges better.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:36:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Outside.   What's not to love?

Damn right...If it ain't rainin', we ain't trainin'.  The only thing about shooting in the rain is that you have to be more meticulous about your cleaning when you guns get totally soaked; well except of course with your Glock, which will go through many torrential down pours with nothing more than a vigorous shake to remove the excess water.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
High power long guns all types, outdoor (longer ranges available than most indoor ranges).

Handguns, mostly indoor.  May be hot or cold, but DRY.  Well ventilated as per EPA rules, etc.  Lead exposure minimal.  

We don't allow mag loads on our indoor range. The backstop is old and it has taken a beating. We also limit pistol cal sub-guns to short (2-3 round) burst. No mag dumps! Not probable or likely as it is tilt wall, but one round that found its way out of the building would end it all.  But damn little is impossible.

Because some indoor ranges limit ammo, sometimes the only choice is outdoors.  Mag pistol cals and all CF rifle, including FMJ almost require outdoor.

Hey WeekF.  Just be glad you have ANY guns you can shoot ANYWHERE down under.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:50:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Join both.

I prefer outdoor.  Some indoor ranges are very poorly ventilated.  Check your blood/lead levels regularly.  I am sure mine were way off scale before, since I also worked with lead at work.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I shoot outdoors.  And with covered benches, even in the rain.  Don't have to worry about snow, but they do close up on account of lightning.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:02:56 AM EDT
[#12]
i like the outdoors

but both is probably best
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 4:41:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Outdoors!
Indoor ranges are ok for pistols, but Ill take the outdoor kind any day.  
And it can be too cold to shoot, but it is never too hot.  A little shade over your position and plenty of water, and your good to do.  Sweat never hurts your aim.  Shivering on the other hand, that sucks.  

Ill agree, wind is a pain in the ass.  Even if your shooting ok, it plays hell with the targets.  A little rain, no bother.  Thunderstorm with lightning, thats cause for you and your bang stick to go home.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:27:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Outside, without a doubt.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
I have only shot at an indoor range once.  It felt un-natural to me.  Then there was the time I took the screen off the bedroom window and shot crows and blackbirds.  that was sort of inside.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 5:51:43 AM EDT
[#16]
What is this "indoor range" You speak of?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

What is this "range" you speak of??

Life in BFE has its privileges...

What neighbors we do have don't even look (or think) twice anymore...

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#18]
I absolutely hate indoor ranges, especially if there is someone with a hand cannon next to you.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Outside for me it's only $15.00 a year. And the indoor range close to me wants like $10/hour.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#20]
I too prefer the "great outdoors".  Although there are no indoor ranges here that allow rifles, so outside is really my only option for the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:30:54 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
You can't shoot outside when it's raining or snowing .

Wuss.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:06:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 12:08:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 7:14:06 AM EDT
[#24]
If I could only choose one, it would have to be the outdoor range.  

As it is, I have access to both.  Any more, I only use the short indoor ranges during the coldest times of the year.  When you're shooting several hundred rounds of handgun over two or three hours, it's nice to have the temperatures warm enough that your fingers don't freeze when reloading magazines.  I have done some winter outdoor shooting where I would reload in my nearby idling vehicle and then step out to shoot after the mags were topped off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#25]
indoors and under ground
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Outdoor rules.  I think I would need three layers of ear protection if I shot a 14/ 1/5" BM with military spec ammo indoors.  If they let me.  I am very lucky that my club has a outside shooting porch & a heated shooting house with about 12 stations.  You can get a station to line up with the 25 yard, 50 yard, or 120 yard ranges.  I usually have the range all to myself because I am retired and go on weekdays.  Life is good and so is outdoors.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top