Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 1:42:02 PM EDT
So I just got a TD VFG for my MI carbine length rail and after reading this post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=263775

I thought it would fit right on there.  However, after measuring the vertical distance of the rail with my dial calipers it turns out there is about 0.054 inches of "extra" material on the rail compared to the grip.  I thought these rails were suppossed to be top notch in terms of tolerances?

Should I just file down the top of the grip or do I need to get a new rail?

Thanks,

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:59:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So I just got a TD VFG for my MI carbine length rail and after reading this post:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=263775

I thought it would fit right on there.  However, after measuring the vertical distance of the rail with my dial calipers it turns out there is about 0.054 inches of "extra" material on the rail compared to the grip.  I thought these rails were suppossed to be top notch in terms of tolerances?

Should I just file down the top of the grip or do I need to get a new rail?

Thanks,

Edit: Id just file down the grip a little. Especially if only .054" is all that is holding you back.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#2]
YHM/Tango Down VFG Discussion

Made the link hot for you.

Sly
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:06:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#4]
OK

I dremeled down the top a bit, then used a mallet to get it on there.

The pins don't lock in all the way but I understand this is a fairly common problem/occurence?

It's tight as can be though and doesn't move at all.

Thanks everybody
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Just don't be a dumbass like me and remove too much from the foregrip.        Second one I got fit perfectly right out of the box.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:56:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Is it tight, but will still go on, or so tight it won't go on at all?
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:08:34 PM EDT
[#8]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/dxdgenert/IMG_0878.jpg
Mine was a bear to get on but it seems that my locking tabs engaged quite nicely (better than some guys have)...  Never had to use the rubber mallet bid di have to give it some serious tugging and pulling!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:20:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I had a hell of a time getting my TD vertical grip on the MI rail.  I used a block of wood and a hammer to move the grip down the rail.  The only problem I found with this approach is it made the grip channel on the TD so wide that when I switched to a KAC RAS I had to buy a new vertical grip because the one off of my MI rail was a bit loose.  

I have to admit that the MI rail has my RAS beat when it comes to the finish.  The only reasons I switched was to save a little weight and I like the slimmer profile of the KAS unit better.

Kevin
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:36:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Yea it looks like stickman's picture.  It's on there now and super tight so I guess that's better than a loose grip.  Thanks for the input guys!

I also got a PM from the MI guys saying they would send me a new unit if it did turn out to be the rail.  Looks like there's no need for that.  Great customer service though!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top