Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 8:12:16 PM EDT
I was shooting earlier and got a fine dusting of sand and dirt covering the inside and outside of my rifle (it was verrrrrrry windy). Is it OK to use a towel with water to clean it off.......do I need to keep the water out of the interior or can I use it inside as well as long as I oil......would the bolt rust....anything I need to know? Sorry for this basic question I just dont want to rust my rifle and this seems like the easiest and fastest way to clean it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:16:10 PM EDT
[#1]
um, just clean as you normally would. wipe everyhting clean with solvent then coat with gun oil
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:17:18 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
um, just clean as you normally would. wipe everyhting clean with solvent then coat with gun oil

Coat the outside of the rifle w/ oil too?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If it was an AK you could fill it with sand and still shoot it.
No dont coat the outside of the rifle.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy a cheap 1 or 2” paint brush to use during cleaning. I have one I cut the bristles down on to make it stiffer, I use this to clean off the exterior of the rifle. Also a can of air for PC’s or a compressor helps as well.
I have some lube tips posted below which cover desert environments, check the bottom of the second illustration.

Quib

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=265747

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:36:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Coat the outside of the rifle w/ oil too?

No need for that.  The exterior of the rifle (other than the barrel and front sight base) is either anodized aluminum or a plastic polymer.  Neither of which need oil for any reason.  Oiling the oustide of the rifle is only going to make a bigger mess when you take it in the field.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#6]
take out back and hit it with the water hose if you want.

just make sure to wipe it down and re-oil it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Go to your local drug store and get a cheap shaving brush.  Those are great for dusting weapons of all sorts.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top