Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:28:09 PM EDT
The triangle cap that holds the front part of the hand guard and the hand guard it self, has excessive play in it. Its bothersome. I would like to know if there was a way to tighten it up or fix it somehow.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:36:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a little high temp silicone.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
use thin piece of metal as a shim and wedge it in the gap...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:56:44 PM EDT
[#3]
what upper assy is that?

if you are capable of doing so then knock the fsb pins out of the front sight and then put a washer or shim between the fsb and the handguard cap. it it was recently purchased it and in new condition i would return it to who you got it from and get it fixed.

it could be a simple problem or a major problem if the fsb is actually off and drilled to far from the gas port or have the gas tube no deep enough in the upper.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not moving from front to back, its moving from side to side. It feels like if the gas tube wasn't there it would do a 360

eklikwhoa... what upper assy is that?  Its an armalite, and its about 5 -6 years old. I bought it new.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
is there a fix for this?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:21:13 PM EDT
[#7]
You are talking about rotational 'play'.
This has been described by many here and the concensus is that barrel nut contact is the place to address it. The handgards have moulded in notches to engage the nut. This is where it is reccommended to bed some silicone rtv to rectify the rotational play. Let it dry for a day, use the grey varriant and good luck. [ There are different grades of rtv. Grey is a goodone].
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:27:59 PM EDT
[#8]
I had a little wobble in mine and I put some black electrical tape on the teeth of the barrel nut and jammed the handguards on. It's not a permanant fix, but it seem to last awhile and it's easily redone.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:50:16 AM EDT
[#9]
the handguard cap has two notches in them which mate to slots in the handguards, this keeps them from rotating amongst other things.

might check to see if your handguards are worn in that area or if the notches have been flatten.

eta:
this is how the round ones are, just looked back and saw you have the triangle one.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 8:15:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Do you notice movement of the Delta ring as well?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:12:26 AM EDT
[#11]
tag
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 9:15:51 AM EDT
[#12]
shouldn't the gas tube keep the HG cap from rotating?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 10:13:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I actually had this exact same problem on an AR-10 of mine.  My final solution was going with a free float.  But I did find a few other solutions.  First was that the original handguards were a little bent on the ends and the nubs (the parts that stick into the d-ring) were worn down, so replacing the guards themselves helped.  I also found that the two end caps had loosened up a bit, so i tightened them against the handguards.  That fixed all my problems...

-C4-
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:07:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The Delta ring does move as much as the hand guards, but when the hand guards move the Delta ring does not. I have noticed two small notches at the rear of the hand guard inside the "ring that slips into the barrel nut. (Check Fig. 1 & Fig. 2 Below) They are worn and the plastic has been eaten out, I don't know if this is the cause or it was due to the constant rotating back and forth. I have always noticed a small play but now it really bothers me when trying to aim. On this rifle I only use the A2 Iron sights, and even then it erks me to death.

On these notches is were I will place the silicone rtv ALAN308 advised and instructed, but wouldn't this were after time? What about new Hand guards? If I do go the New Hand Guards rout I'd like something solid that has no play in it, but I don't know of any manufactures that have them (solid triangle cap, and mid length). I have noticed on my Bushmaster carbine, the Hand Guards DO NOT move at all, but on my LMT the M4 Hand Guards have quite a bit of play in them as well but nothing on the Armalite Middy level. The Lmt has a round cap that does not move, and the Armalite has the triangle cap (see Fig.3) and it does have just as much play in it as well.

Fig.1

Fig.2

Fig.3

Link Posted: 2/11/2006 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I had a similar problem with my cap rotating.  I solved it by laying a bead of blue lock tite between the cap and th FSB on each side.  I let is sit over night and then did it again.  The cap has not moved again in over 2000 rounds.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
On these notches is were I will place the silicone rtv ALAN308 advised and instructed, but wouldn't this were after time? What about new Hand guards? If I do go the New Hand Guards rout I'd like something solid that has no play in it, but I don't know of any manufactures that have them (solid triangle cap, and mid length).....

bump
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:42:54 PM EDT
[#17]
What does one do if the delta ring rotates?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top