Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/7/2006 4:05:44 PM EDT
I am a Coltman, I thought I will always be one. I have changed and so has my preferences.
I like the Bushmaster Varminter Rifle, is there any reason why one should not purchase this particular model. I own a Colt M4 and now I'm looking for a long distance shooter.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
If you buy it, and then decide that you don`t like it, you might regret it. If you don`t buy it you may regret that you didn`t buy it. However,  if that`s what you want and can afford it then buy it. But how about  holding onto your hard earned money awhile and see what else is out there? Money has many uses. You could decide to keep the one that you already have, if you have one, and not get another. Best thing to do is back off from rifles awhile and see what else might come about in your life. I mean look at the guns from afar off and allow other things to come into your view, too.  Don`t look TOO close at the guns. Look around alot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:54:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I am a Coltman, I thought I will always be one. I have changed and so has my preferences.
I like the Bushmaster Varminter Rifle, is there any reason why one should not purchase this particular model. I own a Colt M4 and now I'm looking for a long distance shooter.

I have a Bushmaster Varminter. Out of all my ARs, this is currently my favorite for poking holes in paper.

I'm glad that I have it.

viator
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If you buy it, and then decide that you don`t like it, you might regret it. If you don`t buy it you may regret that you didn`t buy it. However,  if that`s what you want and can afford it then buy it. But how about  holding onto your hard earned money awhile and see what else is out there? Money has many uses. You could decide to keep the one that you already have, if you have one, and not get another. Best thing to do is back off from rifles awhile and see what else might come about in your life. I mean look at the guns from afar off and allow other things to come into your view, too.  Don`t look TOO close at the guns. Look around alot.

Sounds like you are screwing with my mind, what the hell are you talking about, I'm no idot. So write  in a decent form or don't reply to me at all.

Thanks viator, I did some research on it and many seemed to be impressed by it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one right now and am looking to change either the complete upper or the barrel and forend. It is a really nice rifle but I should have bought something different. It is LONG and not very mobile, did I mention it is LONG.
I really like it but I need a shorter precision AR right now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Varminter Test Link

1/4" 3 shot group!!!
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:53:25 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Weird.............................
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:03:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd look for a 308 platform
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:03:33 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

You ain't from these here parts, are ya mister?!?!??!  OBVIOUSLY not.  No SANE arfcomer would recommend that ANYONE back away from rifles.

Must be a lib!!

Oh yeah, more on topic.  I have always wanted a Bushy Varminter.  I let someone talk me into a RRA Varminter with an 18" barrel.  It is an awesome gun, shoots like a house afire, I will never sell it, but you know what?  I still want a Bushy Varminter.  When it comes to guns, I think it is always best to buy what YOU want.   Read, study, evaluate, but don't agonize.  Go buy what you want.

My .02
Doc
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:08:09 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

This is what happens when you drink and type.

I've also been looking into a long range weapon. The Varminter looks to be a great choice.

Good Luck.
4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 1:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have one right now and am looking to change either the complete upper or the barrel and forend. It is a really nice rifle but I should have bought something different. It is LONG and not very mobile, did I mention it is LONG.
I really like it but I need a shorter precision AR right now.

Exellent point being long, that's ok because I have a M4 to be mobile with, I'm looking for something to set up in a stationary position at the range and shoot 300 yards.

Interceptor_Knight,

Thanks for the link, it sounds like it may be worth looking into.

.308 is considered
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:24:17 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

You wont be dissapointed with this rifle.  It is truely a great rifle.  This rifle is the most accurate I have of all my rifles and has been extremely reliable for me.  Never regretted owning this one!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:55:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have one and I like it!

I need a bigger scope for it since I cant see whats going on down range!

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:00:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I have one and I like it!

I need a bigger scope for it since I cant see whats going on down range!

I noticed its a well liked rifle, I have made up my mind and I will be purchasing one within a week but I need to know whats the best way to buy them.

#1 Go to my local dealer and buy from them
#2 Set-up a purchase right from Bushmaster
#3 ?
#4 ?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#14]
There is one for sale on Predatormastersforums.com for $850.  I have not shot one of these but have looked at one in the store.  It has a really nice 2 stage trigger.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
There is one for sale on Predatormastersforums.com for $850.  I have not shot one of these but have looked at one in the store.  It has a really nice 2 stage trigger.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:11:19 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I'll check it out.............
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:19:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Go for it man!  I got mine last July and it was an impressive  shooter.  If the finances allow mount a  10 x super sniper scope from SWFA.  Have some 75 grain hornady 223's run through it and if you do your part you can hit dime size targets at 100 yards.  Its fun. Oh yeah.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Had 1 that was very, very accurate.  Thought I wanted something different and sold it, big mistake, wish I still had it.
Watch the EE unless you absolutely want it new, they show up there from time to time and are usually priced decent.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:23:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Why not just buy a varmit upper, like ones offered by J&T. You will most likely have a better upper setup that the Bushy, and pay less $$ for it. Just a thought.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:51:14 AM EDT
[#20]
here my 100 yard group once I got it dial in. using (kid you not) PMC 55BT ammo. I current use Walmarts Winchester 40 round value pack 45g varmint load with similar success

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#21]
I think there is at least on for sale on the EE. Might be two.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:50:04 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Why not just buy a varmit upper, like ones offered by J&T. You will most likely have a better upper setup that the Bushy, and pay less $$ for it. Just a thought.

Thats an Idea.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
here my 100 yard group once I got it dial in. using (kid you not) PMC 55BT ammo. I current use Walmarts Winchester 40 round value pack 45g varmint load with similar success

img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/V-Rod/88a6e260.jpg

Nice, Is that with the Bushy Varminter?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:02:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My Bushy Vee likes 75g hornaday BTHP Match with 24.0grains of TAC. Shoots .25 to.35 groups at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
My Bushy Vee likes 75g hornaday BTHP Match with 24.0grains of TAC. Shoots .25 to.35 groups at 100 yds.

Thats a sweet shooter.............

This is your first Post and you signed on in 2002?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#26]
I recently bought a Bushy Varminter.  It will do 0.5 inch groups at 100 yds with Black Hills 52 gr BTHP, and is probably most limited by my skill.  The two stage trigger is great.  Buy it.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I recently bought a Bushy Varminter.  It will do 0.5 inch groups at 100 yds with Black Hills 52 gr BTHP, and is probably most limited by my skill.  The two stage trigger is great.  Buy it.

I will buy it. I worked my butt off this past month in overtime just to stash some cash for my Bushy Varminter. I quess mostly every one agrees with the .223 (5.56)

Theres one that says get it in a .308, would I have to buy the upper separate and build one in a .308 version?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:30:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:46:31 PM EDT
[#29]
buy it.   I am buying mine tomorrow, I think Bushmaster offers the most bang for the buck.   What kind of scope are you going to use?    I still need to figure that out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:49:42 PM EDT
[#30]
If I Buy directly from Bushmaster do I have to have the rifle sent to a FFL or do they ship directly to the home?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Go for it! I have been very happy with mine(yes, that is an A2 Varminter).

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568

However, before you order it, I'd wait to see what Bushmaster is coming out with in the morning.....trust me!

You have 2, well that says one thing it's a nice rifle to own.....

Give me a hint, what are they coming out with in the morning?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
If I Buy directly from Bushmaster do I have to have the rifle sent to a FFL or do they ship directly to the home?

It's cheaper to go to a dealer to get it.And yes you use a ffl
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Dont buy the varminter. Buy one of those Les Baer "urban sniper rifles" for $3000. It will do exactly the same thing as the varminter but it says Les Baer on it Just kidding. Get the varminter it's a hell of a rifle. I love Bushy. Never have been let down by one.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#35]
MY gun is built out of a Vmatch. This is what it would do with 75 grain Blackhills at 100 yards. I have a CM 2 stage flat trigger in it now.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:34:14 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice, Is that with the Bushy Varminter?

Yes, using a VXII 6x18-40 tactical scope
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#37]
I've had one for aabout a year now and have only taken it out once to sight it in.  I got a new scope for it so it's time to take it out again.  
I see that some of you are shooting 75gr ammo.  I was told that it was too heavy for a 1X9 twist barrel.  Have been thinking about selling it b/c of that.  But after reading that you guys are shooting the heavier stuff, I'm a little more inclined to try it.  Maybe I'll keep it if it shoots the heavier stuff well.  
BTW, when I went to sight it in I was useing .45gr UMC and after I got it dailed in it held five round groups the size of a quarter.  I was very surprized.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 1:48:12 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I've had one for aabout a year now and have only taken it out once to sight it in.  I got a new scope for it so it's time to take it out again.  
I see that some of you are shooting 75gr ammo.  I was told that it was too heavy for a 1X9 twist barrel.  Have been thinking about selling it b/c of that.  But after reading that you guys are shooting the heavier stuff, I'm a little more inclined to try it.  Maybe I'll keep it if it shoots the heavier stuff well.  
BTW, when I went to sight it in I was useing .45gr UMC and after I got it dailed in it held five round groups the size of a quarter.  I was very surprized.  

If I owned yours I would be shooting the hell out of it. 200yrds, 300yrds, shit I'll go 500 with it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:05:14 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I noticed its a well liked rifle, I have made up my mind and I will be purchasing one within a week but I need to know whats the best way to buy them.

Sportsmans warehouse has them for about $1050 new.  
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:05:56 AM EDT
[#40]
My 24" Bushy is great. Usually .5 MOA or better 10 shot groups at 100 yards with 55gr Ballistic Silvertips, .75 MOA or slightly better with 75gr TAP.
Once I put 19 of 20 shots in a 3/4" hole at 100 yards in about 25-27 seconds, the one flier I'll blame on the dissapearing second stage in the trigger.  I've got a KAC in it now.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 4:20:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I've got a KAC in it now.

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=40583

Same here. Great rifle but the trigger is a joke. When it fails upgrade to a KAC.

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:03:14 AM EDT
[#42]
All these great pictures, I assume KAC is a trigger assembly that is better then the stock assembly. Is it easy to swap them out?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
All these great pictures, I assume KAC is a trigger assembly that is better then the stock assembly. Is it easy to swap them out?

Not if the dang screw strips out on the Bushmaster proprietary safety like it did with mine!
2 minutes with the dremel and it's out, the KAC trigger group installation is all of a 30 sec job, nothing to line up, they use a removable pin to hold everything in place while you install it.
Setting the adjustments up is also easy, especially compared to the Bushmaster one, thanks to the excellent instructions!

Link Posted: 2/9/2006 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#44]
What about buying the varmint kit from model1sales.com and putting a bushy (or any other good lower)?  Has anyone done this and what were the results?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:38:15 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not if the dang screw strips out on the Bushmaster proprietary safety like it did with mine!
2 minutes with the dremel and it's out, the KAC trigger group installation is all of a 30 sec job, nothing to line up, they use a removable pin to hold everything in place while you install it.
Setting the adjustments up is also easy, especially compared to the Bushmaster one, thanks to the excellent instructions!

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/52620777/large.jpg

www.pbase.com/edwin907/image/52620779/large.jpg

It looks easy, first I have to buy the rifle, second shoot it to see if I'm ok with the stock trig. assembly. If not satified i'll install the KAC assembly.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Go for it! I have been very happy with mine(yes, that is an A2 Varminter).

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=568

However, before you order it, I'd wait to see what Bushmaster is coming out with in the morning.....trust me!

You have 2, well that says one thing it's a nice rifle to own.....

Give me a hint, what are they coming out with in the morning?

Yea its morning, now what is it?
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:44:29 AM EDT
[#47]
Good catch, so what is it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:46:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It looks easy, first I have to buy the rifle, second shoot it to see if I'm ok with the stock trig. assembly. If not satified i'll install the KAC assembly.

If it has the bushmaster adjustale trigger PLEASE replace it, that trigger is a joke, my LMT 2 stage non adjustable is WAY better than bushmasters adjustable trigger... Plus their instructions are horrible and its a PITA to adjust right IMO.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:54:24 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it has the bushmaster adjustale trigger PLEASE replace it, that trigger is a joke, my LMT 2 stage non adjustable is WAY better than bushmasters adjustable trigger... Plus their instructions are horrible and its a PITA to adjust right IMO.

I can't figure out why Bushmaster does not put a quality trigger assembly in the Varminter in the first place consider that they claim it to be a precision shooter. Why not compliment it from the start. But i do beleive you about the KAC trig. assembly. I'm 99.5% sure the stock assembly will go bye-bye...
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#50]
I mean its not bad, its better than factory. But its lacking from the other options out there IMO.

Josh
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top