Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/7/2006 3:46:14 PM EDT
I am in the market for a new 20" AR-15. I got rid of my Colt 6721 a while ago because I needed to fund an engagement ring. I've run into some excellent luck and have some extra money to spend on a new rifle. Money isn't an issue, and all I want is a standard 20" govt. profile. I'm stuck at a crossroads in deciding between brands, I see very goo dthings about CMMG, and would like to give them a try, but I don't know. I'm perplexed.

My brands that I'm going to select from are:

Armalite
Bushmaster
CMMG
Rock River Arms

Poll coming...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:52:33 PM EDT
[#1]
1: Bushmaster
2: RRA
3: Armalite
4:CMMG

Go with Bushmaster first and if you change your mind go Rock River.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Here is the abcd's of AR15 purchasing...........you will not go wrong with any of them.

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt
DPMS
oh dont forget RRA for you haters out there........
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Get the one you want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#4]
which ever tends to your needs/wants.

i voted but it was personal preferrence, but i built the majority of my rifles so it was based on the lowers only
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i voted but it was personal preferrence

I refused to vote. I don't understand these threads. I really don't but I'm not flaming ya. I just would never both making a post like this without providing more information as to why I was considered brand X, Y or Z or ruling out any of them.

A while ago I was trying to decide whether or not to sell my HK-94 (semi-auto MP-5) and replace it with a 9mm AR. I made a big, long post outlining what I considered to be the pros and cons of each one, based upon my needs and preferences. Doing that alone helped me alot. Once you write down all the pros and cons of each one, you can more easily see which is the one you really want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:02:25 PM EDT
[#6]
another one
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:04:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Colt, its worth the money.  MHO.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:05:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#9]
You sold a Colt for a Ring? Are you sure she will allow you to buy one???
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 5:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Armalite, i owned a M4c and it was a great gun traded it in on another gun after i bought a LE 6920.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
CMMG 14.5” A1 SOCOM M4 Carbine w/Permanent Phantom tis only $1,075.95. Thats what I would get IMO.

Scout

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I am in the market for a new 20" AR-15. I got rid of my Colt 6721 a while ago because I needed to fund an engagement ring. I've run into some excellent luck and have some extra money to spend on a new rifle. Money isn't an issue, and all I want is a standard 20" govt. profile. I'm stuck at a crossroads in deciding between brands, I see very goo dthings about CMMG, and would like to give them a try, but I don't know. I'm perplexed.

My brands that I'm going to select from are:

Armalite
Bushmaster
CMMG
Rock River Arms

Poll coming...

SMITH AND WESSON
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:17:50 PM EDT
[#13]
CMMG, every bit as good as Colt IMO

4150 barrels
MP tested
extended feed ramps

every barrel contour option you could imagine.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:29:41 PM EDT
[#14]
RRA
CMMG
Bushmaster
ARmalite
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:31:32 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Get the one you want.

+1

4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#16]
POF with the lower of your choosing.

My $.02

TS
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:39:55 PM EDT
[#17]

I have..
            Armalite SPR
            Colt SP1
            Two "Mutts" -( 1 with Bushy lower and 1with Rock River Lower.)

I Love em all
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
RRA, but Bushy would be a close second in this instance.

Armalite 3rd and CMMG 4th (only because I've never dealth with them).

WIZZO
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:41:52 PM EDT
[#19]
  I don't think it matters all that much between the ones your picking find the one with the best deal so you can buy more ammo.    
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm not an AR guru, but I've got a Bushmaster and it's worked flawlessly.  I don't shoot as much as some people, but I do expect a gun to work, all the time.  If my Bushy didn't go 'Bang' every time I pulled the trigger I wouldn't recommend it.  But it does.  

There may be better looking, or better 'made' rifles, but I like what I have.

Ancedotally, I've heard that Bushmasters tend to be the choice of the casual tinkerer, since they accept parts from almost anywhere, and Bushmaster offers a bunch of stuff themselves.

Did I mention my rifle always works?  That's what impresses me the most.  I know a guy with a Colt who says the same thing about his gun, but he paid more than I did.  SP
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#21]
CMMG seems to offer the closest clone with all the features except a mil-spec telestock,but that can be added and with their barrel offerings,individual MP inspected barrels and M4 feedramps I think the CMMG carbine is the closest and a great price.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:50 PM EDT
[#22]
CMMG rocks, go with them. Or Bushy.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#23]
RRA
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 3:11:34 AM EDT
[#24]
edit to remove 2nd hand information/comment

I'd recommend a Bushmaster A3, or the RRA 20"er.

The former is most closely modeled after the 20" service rifle, and the latter is likely a better fit, finish, and has a better trigger option

either way.......A3 all the way
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:19:34 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:27:57 AM EDT
[#26]
RRA!  Hands down!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:34:18 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:42:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:13:31 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
1: Bushmaster
2: RRA
3: Armalite
4:CMMG

Go with Bushmaster first and if you change your mind go Rock River.

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#30]
You should try one of those COLTs.

I hear they're pretty good, fr00t!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:25:41 AM EDT
[#31]
My vote going to Lewis Machine and Tool. Don't pass these guys up, if you want quality!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:41:03 AM EDT
[#32]
BUSHMASTER FIREARMS!!!!!
BUSHMASTER FIREARMS!!!!!
BUSHMASTER FIREARMS!!!!!
BUSHMASTER FIREARMS!!!!!

I have one and I love it. I have a couple thousand rounds through it and never had a problem. RRA is my second choice.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:57:01 AM EDT
[#33]
The best value seems Stag at http://www.eaglefirearms.net/
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#34]
The fact is unless one has seen, inspected and shot multiple rifles from each company then one's opinion is based upon (for the most part) a very narrow perspective.

For example, if someone buys a RRA and that's the only AR they've ever shot, then if if they have had not problem with their RRA, they will tend to prefer RRA. If the inverse is true and they had nothing but problems with the RRA, their opinion will be based upon their single bad experience.

Most folks on these boards don't have the experience I referred to at the top of my post. I for one do not so I know my opinion on what I like wouldn't be very helpful.

The 4 brands you're looking at are all good brands. They all make exceptional rifles and, on the rare occasion, pop out a lemon. When you manufacture as many rifles as they do, the odds are that once in a while they will rifle that has problems.

Make a list of all (and I do mean all) the features you want, right down to the grip and trigger, then see which manufacturer has all the features you want in one rifle. If all else fails, consider warranty, price and customer service. The smaller companies also tend to offer more personalized customer service.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#35]
buy one of each
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:18:49 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
buy one of each

Sure, suggest the easy way out.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:22:09 AM EDT
[#37]
I love my RRA.  I have limited experience in the AR realm, but the build quality was good and the price was competitive.  The warranty is lifetime and customer service seems above average.  I would purchase from them again and would recommend them to others.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:01:57 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Uh....  No.  Before you post something like this please do a little more research(but you are forgiven).  

damn.

and that post seemed like a bad idea at the time too.

Kinda like taking a shot and wishing you had the bullet back about the time it was clearing the Flash hider.

sorry. you know where that came from, right?

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:09:22 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:12:52 AM EDT
[#40]
Build your own!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:25:22 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Uh....  No.  Before you post something like this please do a little more research(but you are forgiven).  

damn. and that post seemed like a bad idea at the time too. Kinda like taking a shot and wishing you had the bullet back about the time it was clearing the Flash hider. sorry. you know where that came from, right?

Around here, saying someone uses bad parts is akin to saying they're in league with Satan!

I just went back to find the place I read that- found it - and I was wrong. It wasn't (company mentioned earlier) that was suggested.

I mis-quoted it. Wish I hadn't, but I did, and removed it from my posts.

It was a bad idea to offer it either way.  

sorry CMMG. Tons of folks love your stuff, and thats commendable (and not easy)  in this industry

would be grateful to the 2 others here who quoted me - removing the reference. Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#42]
+1 for buy one of each  seriously RRA, LMT,Bushy, Colt
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 7:40:05 PM EDT
[#43]

CMMG  or   RRA or  BM  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I just voted for Bushmaster and now BM and RRA are all tied up at 80
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#45]
either colt or just put your cash in  a paperbag, light it on fire and toss it out of the window of your moving car.

otherwise Armalite.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:11:14 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt
Colt

Why??????
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 3:24:02 AM EDT
[#47]
I wanted to get Rock River arms because of all the good things I've heard about them, but they don't have much in barrel choices. You can choose any barrel you want, so long as its a Wilson Arms heavy-barrel in various lengths and profiles (all heavy under the handguards).

I've bought a Bushmaster barrel for my 24" build and was generally satisfied, so I went with a 16" M4 Bushmaster barrel (Patrolman's Carbine) to cut the weight.

I don't shoot heavy bullets so the CMMG 1/7 barrels would be a waste for me.

If Rock River ever decides to get different contours for their barrels, I may buy their barrels the next time around.
Link Posted: 2/9/2006 11:26:25 AM EDT
[#48]
RRA. All the brands you listed are good ones, but RRA seems to be the best bang for the buck. Great quality, questionably the best fit and finish. Make sure you get the barrel chrome lined, it's something RRA ought to hurry up and make standard.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top