Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 12:18:58 PM EDT
this may seem like a silly question, but here goes....I live in PA and cannot use a semi auto rifle for hunting.  I'd like to use my Colt match target for groundhogs and was thinking of removing the gas rings on the bolt to convert it into a straight pull bolt action rifle.  Any problems or possible damage to the rifle by doing this?

Thanks,
Tom
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Removing the gas rings may not be enough to satisfy that requirement.

Some people have tried it and the damn thing still cycled(not all, but some), stranger things have happened.

Better to get an adjustable gas tube and turn off the gas.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Removing the gas rings may not be enough to satisfy that requirement.

Some people have tried it and the damn thing still cycled(not all, but some), stranger things have happened.

Better to get an adjustable gas tube and turn off the gas.

HA,

How about that.....

I never thought about that...

Now we know and knowing is half the battle.

Thanks
Mike
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:00:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Tom,
Does the bolt-action regulation relate to removing pests/varmints?  I thought it was only for hunting game animals?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#4]
believe it or not, the groundhog is considered a game animal in PA.

Tom
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:03:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I think the best way to do it would be to block the gas from even entering the gas tube.  I'm not sure the best way to do that.......
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Simply drive out the roll pin, and remove the gas tube. Now a single shot.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Tom,
Does the bolt-action regulation relate to removing pests/varmints?  I thought it was only for hunting game animals?

Pests, varmints, doesn't make a difference to the PA Game Commission. I can't even hunt Coyotes with my AR.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#8]
What a retarded law.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
just dont get busted and you'll be fine.  Where abouts your from in pa?  im  from pennsyltucky,  SW pa.   just go huntin with it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:31:02 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And let the gas blow back in your face?  

I don't think so..........
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:53:32 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That was my initial thought also....... Adjustable gas block is probably the way to go but I really don't want to have to change out the FSB.  I'll probably give removing the rings a try and see if it still cycles.  Are there any issues with not using gas rings on the bolt??

Tom
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 9:44:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Even if removing the gas rings prevents it from functioning properly, will that be enough to satisfy the game warden (or whoever would enforce this law)?

Just take the gas block off.  You won't need to remove the gas tube for that, just the tapered pins.  Slide the whole assembly off.  The gas will vent straight up.  

A set of punches isn't too expensive, hell you really only need one thin tapered punch and a hammer.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:10:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Will a single shot magazine follower satisfy the PA Game Commission's requirements?

Bluesled   Plastic $9.95

Aluminum   $16.95

4X4SC

ETA: Not sure if you have to disassemble the mag to install or if they just snap in.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:23:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about removing the gas tube, and then blocking/sealing the hole so the gas can't blow back at your face?  

No Expert
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:24:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Solid rod the same size as gas-tube, then drill a hole in it and replace where gas tube would be. Duhhh...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#17]
If you lived where I do in PA, you would be glad that you're not allowed to hunt anything with a semi.  It's bad enough that a certain group of people have pump remington 7600/760's.  If you hunt or live in lancaster or chester county, you know who I mean.  These people will sling lead at any patch of brown they see.  Hell, I've had people tell me in my shop that they heard a deer and let a mag (4) loose on it!!  But, I do agree that not being allowed to hunt varmints with a semi kinda sucks.  I would love to hunt squirrels with my suppressed Rugers!
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 11:11:16 AM EDT
[#18]
^^^I live in southern Lancaster county and it would be nice if they would allow the use of semi-autos.  The last time my neighbor wanted to shoot a groundhog he asked to borrow my AK-47.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 1:16:51 AM EDT
[#19]
I took this idea from Jake Kempton now at JP Enterprises and formerly of Accuracy Speaks.  On his 3-Gun AR, he disabled the gas system completely via taking out the adjustment valve on the JP Gas Block.  Then, he threaded a bolt handle onto the bolt carrier.  

Once done, the rifle would fire one shot and the rifle wouldn't cycle as all the gas bled out.  From there you would rack the bolt (and carrier).  As you pushed forward the next round came up out of the mag.  Tah dah.

That's one way.  I did it on a dedicated build for my SR-25.  It's the only way it worked to bring it into the state prior to joining the Army chambered in .260 Remington and another upper 6XC.  Another is a project that I'm currently working on, and is a little hush-hush.  Once that's complete I'll post pics.  I'm working out the magazine load feature on it for different calibers.  All this while in Korea...so progress is a little slow.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 6:24:26 AM EDT
[#20]
My guess would be to research a little case law on the interpretation by the judges who've heard cases regarding what is single shot and what is not.  Many states have laws regarding the size of shotgun magazines. A plug does the job instead of changing the mag tube. Something as simple as a solid plastic magazine may work for you, or as was mentioned, changing a follower.

Can you hunt with a suprressor ?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top