Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/7/2006 10:23:36 AM EDT
probably a dumb question - certainly not my first.

We talk about the proper twist rate eg. 1/7 1/8 1/9 1/12 etc etc but we never include barrel length in that discussion and I have always wondered why.

When somebody asks what rate of twist for a particular bullet is reccomended the topic of barrel length never comes up - maybe it doesn't matter in the equation...

Will a 16" barrel with a 1/9 twist have a better chance of stabilizing a 77gr. bullet than a 11.5" barrel with a 1/9 twist?  Could a longer barrel potentially reduce the need for a faster twist rate due to increased velocity, faster rate of spin due to the longer barrel etc?

thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:54:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I think there have been some people that have shot the 75/77gr loads out of 20" rifles that had better stabilization than in their 16" rifles.  That might just be a variance in the actual twist rates, but I really don't know.  It might have to do with the velocity and time under the influence of the rifling being longer.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
It might have to do with the velocity and time under the influence of the rifling being longer.

Exactly - that's my thinking right there.  But my idea is only based on common sense and nothing more.  I would think the longer a bullet stays in the barrel the more stable it's attitude will be as it travels down range.  So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better.  I honestly don't know...
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Increased velocity means faster rpm of the bullet means better stablization. Yes a longer barrel stablizes better than shorter barrels.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 6:51:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
...So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better.  I honestly don't know...

Buy a 1/7 and don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:38:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So - I'm buying a 14.5" Barrel that's 1/9 - will it handle a 75gr slug or would a 16" or 18" be better.  I honestly don't know...

1:7 for a heavy bullet like that.

Length won't make that much difference--once it's rotating, it's stable, and there's also a factor of rotation relative to velocity.  It might actually be MORE stable with the same spin in a shorter barrel.  quite a few bullets lose oscillation (Gain stability) as they fly (of course, any deviation has already happened) and then lose it as they go transonic/subsonic.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:44:29 PM EDT
[#6]
"Why?"

IMO, Too many variables.    Harmonic weight of the barrel in question, bullet weight, bullet shape, uniformity of bullet shape (within a given manufacurer), powder choice, burn rate.

I'm sure a comparison could be made using only the mil-spec 5.56 ammo but when you widen the choices to commercially available ammo and then the reload possibilities the range of variables becomes huge.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
MY 14.5 IS A 1/7 it works fine
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 9:56:57 PM EDT
[#8]
In the case of the AR15/M16 you should be asking how the length of the barrel and location of the gas port effect velocity and what velocity is needed to stabalize a given weight projectile for a given twist rate.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top