Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 6:22:14 PM EDT
Ok guys I tried searching for this but found nothing. I even google searched ARFCOM (tactical backdoor search h
Im looking to try this mod out to clean up the grittyness of my std single stage trigger. I will eventually upgrade to a better trigger as funds permit, so Im looking of if I can polish this one up to make a better cleaner trigger pull. ant thoughts/reccomendations? TIA hug.gif
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is my tread from a few weeks ago.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=429713

Glad I could help out
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 6:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for that link. I had the geocities site. The MD AR15 shooters site I didnt have and that seems interesting to do also. Now Im just curious if its truely worthwhile to do??? Did you try out the mod?
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:14:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Thanks for that link. I had the geocities site. The MD AR15 shooters site I didnt have and that seems interesting to do also. Now Im just curious if its truely worthwhile to do??? Did you try out the mod?

I am curious too... waiting for those more knowlegeable than I to chime in..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Curious too. I've got one trigger that's awfully gritty. I'd like to fix it, not replace it, if I can.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:24:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah it works great.  I have done several rifles over the years and the results are better than stock, but not as good as a Match trigger.  You will likely end up with a lighter pull that won't be gritty, but will be just as long as it was to begin with.  I like to dick aorund with guns and this is a fun project that does make the trigger better.  Be careful not to polish to much, or you'll run thru the surface hardening.  I have never had this happen, but have read about it before.  

Have fun and go slow.

Echap

ETA I did the pin polish that was listed on the Maryland site and I don't think that really made a difference, but hey it can't hurt.

Here is the other time I asked.  Not to many good things said here.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=265762
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:30:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I had the same question about a month ago. Can't remember who helped me, but they gave me a link to a reduced power spring kit from Brownells. I don't know hot to make a link, but go to Brownells and search for part # 989-000-001. It did the trick for me. Contains hammer, trigger, and disconnect springs for somewhere around four bucks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:38:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I had the same question about a month ago. Can't remember who helped me, but they gave me a link to a reduced power spring kit from Brownells. I don't know hot to make a link, but go to Brownells and search for part # 989-000-001. It did the trick for me. Contains hammer, trigger, and disconnect springs for somewhere around four bucks.

I did the same thing you did and it worked beautifully, nice crisp trigger pull around 4lbs.
best money I have spent on my rifle.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 8:06:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok I was brave and disassembled my new rifle. Hey I have to learn how it works someday. I checked how the trigger /disconnector rode on the pin and that was smooth. Next I checked the hammer on the pin and that was smooth also. I understand how the trigger breaks the hammer loose and I carefuully deburred and lightly polished the trigger where it catches on the hammer. I also lightly lightly deburred the hammer at the notch where the trigger catches. my trigger is a nice cleen pull and a crisp break(not match trigger quality, but good enough). Yeah its got some creep, but no more gritty feel to it. Its amazing the difference it has made. I was getting a memory of the notchyness on my dryfire practice and slowly guiding my finger through it for a straight pull w/o canting the gun, and now Im going to have to deprogram that out of memory. That is a good thing though. My offhand shooting should be much better now. My trigger literally felt like dirt grinding into metal on each trigger pull. Maybe it would have broken in, but its allready affected me in a negative way. Now time for some dry fire drills.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:09:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I have heard of light primer strikes with the JP spring kit using LC ammo or Wolf.
Have there been any reports of light primer strikes with the 15 min trigger job?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 2:24:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I have heard of light primer strikes with the JP spring kit using LC ammo or Wolf.
Have there been any reports of light primer strikes with the 15 min trigger job?

I currently have an M4 that I have done the 15min trigger job on. One of the things that needs to be done with this mod is that the hammer needs to be cut down abit to reduce weight. The original 15min trigger job did not show this.  After having it in my rifle for over a year now, the only issue that I have come across is an very occasional light primer strink on some Australian surplus ammo that I came across. Out of 500 rounds I encountered three light strikes resulting in FTF. That was the only time that I have encountered any FTF with this rifle. please note that I have not fired Wolf in this rifle, so I don't know how it would work with it.

I have recently purchased the JP spring kit and the Yellow Tavern springs. I will be putting the JPs in theis M$ and the Yellow Taverns in a 9mm Carbine I have. I will be playing around abit with these kits and hopefully report back as time allows. One of the things I will try is keeping in the stock hammer spring and seeing what kind of trigger I can achieve.

Nox
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I currently have an M4 that I have done the 15min trigger job on. One of the things that needs to be done with this mod is that the hammer needs to be cut down abit to reduce weight. The original 15min trigger job did not show this.  After having it in my rifle for over a year now, the only issue that I have come across is an very occasional light primer strink on some Australian surplus ammo that I came across. Out of 500 rounds I encountered three light strikes resulting in FTF. That was the only time that I have encountered any FTF with this rifle. please note that I have not fired Wolf in this rifle, so I don't know how it would work with it.

I have recently purchased the JP spring kit and the Yellow Tavern springs. I will be putting the JPs in theis M$ and the Yellow Taverns in a 9mm Carbine I have. I will be playing around abit with these kits and hopefully report back as time allows. One of the things I will try is keeping in the stock hammer spring and seeing what kind of trigger I can achieve.

Nox

That sounds like a plan. I have the JP springs and wasn't too impressed overall. The trigger had trouble returning if I managed to let off right before the hammer breaks. I have heard of LP strikes with the JP springs before, so I cannot depend on those.

Since I fancy single stage triggers only, the only option I see is the Accuracy Speaks drop-in trigger. When I asked Accuracy Speaks whether it was duty-quality, they didn't say anything (probably due to liability). For $170 though, I'd probably look elsewhere.
I looked closely at the RRA 2-stage triggers and do not like the idea of that extra pin holding the disconnector. Even though Adco uses a different hardened steel pin, it should have been designed to use the trigger pin as Stoner intended.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 6:59:53 AM EDT
[#12]
I know there are quite a few threads on this but here goes:

I bought some extra hammer and trigger springs to try this on a 24" HBar that I feel is more suited as a varmint/range use/long distance rifle rather than a go-to/SHTF rifle. If there are some FTFires, it's not that big of a deal.

I tried the JP spring kit but the trigger return spring was weak enough to allow the trigger to BIND if you let off halfway before squeezing it through.

I decided to follow the  15 min trigger job instructions, including bending the hammer spring leg a little in the direction of the spring winding (according to the instructions, this should give 100% primer ignition). I used trig to figure out how much is 25* for the trigger spring legs, which ends up to be about 3/16" - 1/4" height when you put the legs flat on a table.

The trigger pull went from 7-7.5 lb down to a 4.5 lb - 5 lb pull. It was a significant enough change IMHO. The next question would be its reliability in igniting primers on the ammo I shoot (Wolf, only some LC, Federal and Winchester commercial).

The other alternative to me would be the $170 Accuracy Speaks drop in comp trigger. But $170 is a lot of dough to spend just to get a good trigger pull. I'll use this 24" AR setup for the test rig to see how reliable it is before attempting it on my M4 build.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#13]
For some reason cutting and bending stock springs seems like it would be more likely to decrease reliability to be worth the difference in trigger pull.  Personally I wouldn't consider doing this as an alternative to buying a match trigger.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 4:52:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
For some reason cutting and bending stock springs seems like it would be more likely to decrease reliability to be worth the difference in trigger pull.  Personally I wouldn't consider doing this as an alternative to buying a match trigger.

The cut is not at a fatigued area of the spring. It simply rests against the receiver. Any part that will be moving/bending is not cut, and the trigger spring legs are only bent to reduce the force a little. As long as it gives good primer strike force, I don't see how it will break or be unreliable.

I've searched and could not find a reasonably priced "competition" single stage trigger. The only one that I'd use is the Accuracy Speaks and its overpriced. I can buy about 113 sets of hammer and trigger springs for that price. And as I said before, it went on a gun that will be primarily used at the range. My "SHTF/go to" rifle has the stock FCG parts.
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 5:09:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 2:04:00 PM EDT
[#16]
I'll either keep it stock or buy something that looks like it will work good.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top