Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/6/2006 5:29:08 AM EDT
I shoot outdoors in 20F temperatures. Should I be concerned about thermal shock to AR Match Barrels?
Thanks for your comments..
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]
No problem at 20F. Charles.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:39:16 AM EDT
[#2]
it isn't something i worry about... i took my match-chambered krieger out when we were in the single digits. when we warmed back up into the 30's, i shot it for groups again, and it shoots as tight as ever.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 5:44:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I suppose I could understand where the concern comes from. It would seem that the temperature would have to be very, very cold to make the difference you're worried about.  With modern heat treating and tempering, it shouldn't be a problem.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 7:10:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Once you get a few rounds through the barrel, its not winter anymore.

In reality NO, I spent 19 years in the Alaska National Guard.  15 of that on the AKNG Rifle team.  We shot in a lot colder temperture then that.  The problem was condesation freeze the action.  But that wasn't a problem if normal care was taken to prevent it.  IE dont take a warm rifle out in below temps.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:47:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks everyone for your comments..

Quoted:
Once you get a few rounds through the barrel, its not winter anymore.

In reality NO, I spent 19 years in the Alaska National Guard.  15 of that on the AKNG Rifle team.  We shot in a lot colder temperture then that.  The problem was condesation freeze the action.  But that wasn't a problem if normal care was taken to prevent it.  IE dont take a warm rifle out in below temps.

Wouldn't condensation it be worse bringing a cold rifle into a warm room?

My situation is that I shoot a few rounds, leave the rifle sit for a while (getting cold) and then shoot it again. So I am concerned about cold barrel... then thermal shock shooting... cold barrel... thermal shock shooting...etc.
Any problems doing this?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#6]
i guess so.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:23:10 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks everyone for your comments..

My situation is that I shoot a few rounds, leave the rifle sit for a while (getting cold) and then shoot it again. So I am concerned about cold barrel... then thermal shock shooting... cold barrel... thermal shock shooting...etc.
Any problems doing this?

Hey a new acronym -  TSS Thermal shock shooting....................We shoot our AR's in the dead of winter in Alaska all the time - Don't let that new acronym "TSS" scare you, fire away - As matter of fact some of the best groups I've ever fired from the bench at 200 yards was at 16 degrees, and that was slow fire. Shoot five round, then wait about 5 to 10 minutes break in-between strings.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot in temps as low as the mid teens and my SS match barrel is still in one piece.

They are not as delicate as some of the know-it-alls think they are.  I wonder why the Army is using SS match barrels for their SDM-R, if they are so delicate?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
If it was much below -40 I probably wouldnt want to shoot it much.

Course, I wouldnt be out if it was that cold anyways so.......
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:57:57 PM EDT
[#10]
I've shot mine all day at 35 below and it was hitting everything I pointed it at................- Clint
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:10:19 PM EDT
[#11]
NO PROBLEM, JUST SHOOT IT!

Phil
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#12]
When you get ≈ -273° C  I would not use the rifle.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, there is ONE consideration for precision rifles:

Some propellants like W748 are a little temperature sensitive and you may get a change in velocity.  So, check your zero if at all in doubt.

If you're just concerned about effecting the life of your barrel, don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#14]
NOOOOOoooooooo.  It will destroy your barrel.  Pack the gun up immediately and ship to Florida.  I'll take good care of it until summer when YOU can safely fire it again.  

Shoot it.  dont worry.  there isn't enough mass (metal) to be significantly affected by temperature change.  Really.  yes, the bullet may strike slightly different from the FIRST round vs the 30th when the pipe is warmed. But overall, aint nothing to be concerned about.

Orrrrr. if youre still not convinced, let me know, I'll be glad to baby sit your gun here in florida this winter.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Shoot five round, then wait about 5 to 10 minutes break in-between strings.

Shoot five round, then wait about 5 to 10 minutes break in-between strings for it "cool" down.
I guess it would. Interesting but I would not worry about it after hearing the post here.

Bill
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 8:18:37 PM EDT
[#16]
"Thermal Shock" failure is one of those things that more people have heard of than actually seen... but a few people that I know who have seen it, I trust.

I have never actually seen a barrel burst from it, but have seen pictures of a couple of rifles that were said to have burst as a result of low temperature firing -- B.J.O. is reported to have documented some barrels bursting in cold weather and a few of the barrel makers do not recommend light contour SS barrels in cold weather... Krieger makes the recommendation to avoid SS in cold weather on their web site.

All of that said, given the temperature you are talking about, I would not worry... first off, that is not really that cold, I think Krieger and others call sub-zero cold? Also, 416R is the real culprit and any reports of bursting barrels is always in a large bore rifle with a light weight contour, given the ratio of bore to profile of a SS AR barrel, I would think it would never be a problem.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top