Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/3/2006 8:45:53 AM EDT
Going to the gun show on the 11th and I'm looking into building an AR-15 or just buying one complete.  Looking to spend around $600 for something of good quality and looks like this...

http://dubisteinspundloch.com/1995M4gery01.jpg

What do I want to look for and avoid?  What's an M4gery?  Is it still considered an AR15?  What's the difference between it and a standard AR-15?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:51:51 AM EDT
[#1]
You will be hard pressed to find any new A3 M4gery with carry handle for $600.  You will be hard pressed to find a well used one for that price.

RRA's and Bushmasters in that config run from $750 to $900.

Build your own?

$100 - lower.
$510 - stag/CMT m4 upper complete with bch and carry handle
$ 65 - stock
$ 65 - LPK
-------------------
$740, plus tax or shipping.

You only $600 option is to buy a really cheap "kit" from Model 1/M&A/J&T and a cheap lower.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:56:35 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You will be hard pressed to find any new A3 M4gery with carry handle for $600.  You will be hard pressed to find a well used one for that price.

RRA's and Bushmasters in that config run from $750 to $900.

Build your own?

$100 - lower.
$510 - stag/CMT m4 upper complete with bch and carry handle
$ 65 - stock
$ 65 - LPK
-------------------
$740, plus tax or shipping.

You only $600 option is to buy a really cheap "kit" from Model 1/M&A/J&T and a cheap lower.

Good luck!

Hmmm...

I'll probably pick up just the complete lower at the gun show since that is the only thing that has to go through the FFL.  Then look into the upper afterwards.  What kind of lower should I look for?

I was thinking about getting a Stag online, but I'd rather not have to deal with going through an FFL and transfer fees, etc.

Also, what's an LPK?  Keep in mind I'm new to this and don't know half the acronyms :)

Only owned a 10/22.

Are all lowers generally compatible with all uppers?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:57:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Everything he said and I'll add that even my Model 1 Sales 11.5 cost almost $700. Of course I did buy a Rock River lower which was $124. Minus the extra I paid for the MI flip sight it was still over your budget.

Save a little more and go new or good used or build with good parts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:06:02 AM EDT
[#4]
All of my questions still went unanswered
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#5]
In your price range, you want to avoid buying an AR, as it is nearly impossible to get at 600.  Maybe if you shop the EE for used parts and a couple months later you can build the AR

M4gery is the forgery of the Colt M4.

Closest thing to a real M4 is the Colt LE6920, or even better Colt LE6921 SBR.  Anything else is 2, 3, 04 forth place.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:17:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes it is still a AR-15, as a M4 lower you can't buy.

Difference 3 Round Burst or Auto
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks.  I'm not dead set on $600, but that's what I was hoping to spend around.

If I have to, I'll wait a little while, but I'm definitely hoping to get at least the lower and stock at the gun show.

What would you recommend as a good lower?  $150 max

Are all stocks pretty much the same and compatible?  I just want a 4-6 point adjustable like in the pic above.

And that's what I figured M4gery meant.  What's the different between an M4 upper and an AR15 upper though?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:49:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Try this guy for some parts.  I have not bought from him personally but I plan to in the near future.  He has a very good rep on this line.  Good Luck!
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:54:02 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks.  I'm not dead set on $600, but that's what I was hoping to spend around.

If I have to, I'll wait a little while, but I'm definitely hoping to get at least the lower and stock at the gun show.

Are all stocks pretty much the same and compatible?  I just want a 4-6 point adjustable like in the pic above.

And that's what I figured M4gery meant.  What's the different between an M4 upper and an AR15 upper though?

lower (stripped): should be ~$100--MEGAs, RRAs, stags, rb, etc are all good ones

stocks: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=188153

M4: M4 cuts/feed ramps, M4 contours usually

$600? good luck
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:16:17 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

lower (stripped): should be ~$100--MEGAs, RRAs, stags, rb, etc are all good ones

stocks: www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=188153

M4: M4 cuts/feed ramps, M4 contours usually

$600? good luck

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/programming/expand.asp?Prodid=22

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:20:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I don't have personal experience with Olympic. The general rule though seems to be to avoid them. If I remember right, I think there were some threads about that carbine in question and the response was not positive.

Not all stocks are the same either. Some are better quality than others. I have a 4 pos. fiberlite(sp?) on 1 carbine and a factory Bushmaster 6 pos. on another. The 4 pos. is an el cheapo and it definitley shows it. Then you got the magpuls, vltor, ace and so. They are expensive, but they are very well made and usually pretty comfortable.

I have used a Rock River Arms lower on the one build I've done. Excellent quality, but they are a little tight. My other two are factory Bushmasters, which their lowers are pretty pricey. Avoid Hesse/Vulcan for sure, they will say the military  uses them. They don't and they're junk.
You could probably find an assembled lower receiver with the stock on it for fairly reasonable and then save a little more and get an upper receiver at a later time.

Another option is use the $600 to put one on layaway. A lot of gun shops have layaway, and 14.5" Bushmasters are going for about 850-900 last time I checked anywhere near me. 20" are in the 800-850 when I bought mine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top