Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:50 AM EDT

SPECIAL OPS

Hollywood legend, writer-director John Milius (Apocalypse Now, Conan the Barbarian, Hunt for the Red October) and guests explore, analyze, and debate an historic, military Spec Ops mission. Using military and archival footage, dramatic reenactments and interviews, they'll take viewers inside the strategy and execution of a daring military operation, analyzing the situational background and goal, and how strategy is being applied as each mission unfolds. Includes the 1970 storied raid on Son Tay Prison just outside Hanoi to free American POWs during the Vietnam War. Milius's guests include: John Plaster, author and former Special Operations Officer, and Special Forces Sergeant Terry Buckler, the youngest soldier on the Son Tay Raid.

Who knows.  It might be interesting and educational.  If you're looking to build a period correct XM177-E2, it might have some good pics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#1]
What time is it playing?  Thanks for the heads-up.

Regards,
PatG.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#2]
tag for time!?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
tag
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
According to my schedule, 2200 (10pm) Eastern & Pacific.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:36:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Doh...it's on at the same time Battlestar Galactica is on...I'll have to record one of them.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Doh...it's on at the same time Battlestar Galactica is on...I'll have to record one of them.....

I'll bet the history channel will be playing it more than once, someone should be able to find out if its on this weekend again.  We wouldn't want to deprive you of quality toaster time.....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:00:25 AM EDT
[#7]
In Arizona (MST) it's on at 8pm then again at midnight.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the heads up.

It is on at 9:00pm in New Orleans (Central Time)
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:11:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Eastern time its on at 2200 and 0200.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:21:30 AM EDT
[#10]
west coast 1900 and 2300 on direct tv
thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll bet the history channel will be playing it more than once, someone should be able to find out if its on this weekend again.  We wouldn't want to deprive you of quality toaster time.....

You are correct!..I checked the guide and it's on again at 0200...so I'll set my blaster to record.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:54:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Just watched it, I liked it overall. A few highlights:

-A definitive answer on the reason for the red goggles: to protect the raiders' night vision from the dropped flares
-Anecdote about the adoption of the OEG sights
-The discussion of the "sooper seekret operation within an operation" vs "accidental" landing at the secondary school and elimination of 200 advisors of an unknown nationality
-Mucho respect for the raiders and POWs - real heroes

I don't think it is a great source for XM177/CAR info, the carbines looked "retro" and had the OEGs, but I also saw the M203 barrel cuts on an M4gery at one point. Still, I think Milius could expand on the Son Tay story and make an excellent full length movie, a la BHD.

I didn't watch the credits, does anyone know if they used a reenactor group or ordinary actors?

BSG repeats at 1:00AM
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Just got done watching it...it was very cool, there was an attention to detail that you don't see in a lot of the "dramatic re-enactments." XM177s with red dots, red goggles, miners lamps on the web gear, OG107s, the right helicopters (hardest part probably) right nown to the nomex pilot gloves.  Every time I've watched Vietnam to current era TV re-enacments I thought "they should have hired me" the one on Long Vei camp they were using M16A2s!  

I liked seeing Plaster, one of my favorite authors and the mini interviews with all the raiders, even had John McCain (I know but this is one area I will listen to him on).  The guy they had playing Bull Simmons was good too.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:14 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Just got done watching it...it was very cool, there was an attention to detail that you don't see in a lot of the "dramatic re-enactments." XM177s with red dots, red goggles, miners lamps on the web gear, OG107s, the right helicopters (hardest part probably) right nown to the nomex pilot gloves.  Every time I've watched Vietnam to current era TV re-enacments I thought "they should have hired me" the one on Long Vei camp they were using M16A2s!  

I liked seeing Plaster, one of my favorite authors and the mini interviews with all the raiders, even had John McCain (I know but this is one area I will listen to him on).  The guy they had playing Bull Simmons was good too.

Were the red dots actual SinglePoints or something else?

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You are correct!..I checked the guide and it's on again at 0200...so I'll set my blaster to record.

ETA:  Yep, them toasters are much more appealing than the one on our kitchen counter.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:14:47 PM EDT
[#15]
+1

Great show with a lot of great information.  I hope this is a series and focuses on more than just the US spec ops community.  I would love to see what they could do with the Israeli raid on Entebbe, Uganda!
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#16]
One thing I noticed were the Vietnam Jungle Boots with Panama tread.  That's not correct for 1970, is it?  I thought that came in use years later.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
One thing I noticed were the Vietnam Jungle Boots with Panama tread.  That's not correct for 1970, is it?  I thought that came in use years later.

I think the second generation of Jungle boots (would have been '67 or so) had them... let me check a book real quick...

The recognized jungle boot was adopted in '66... the modification from the test run included the Panama Sole, the webbing ankle re-enforcement and the punji stake insert.

On a side note I don't know what the scopes were, I don't think they were real singlepoints.  I remember reading the book when I was a kid and they were having problems with the single points mounted to the carry handles.  The fix was "liberal amounts of electrical tape" when they were discussing the red dots on the show I wondered if they would mention that.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
They were Singlepoints, not OEGs.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top