Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:38:31 PM EDT
I am working on building up a 600 yard plus 6.5 grendel rifle, and I am interested in your opinions of different aftermarket triggers.

As a rifle shooter I am well versed in a short light, incredibly crisp trigger pull.

In other words the pretravel that goes along with two stage triggers is not acceptable to me.

I see the JARD trigger in brownells and wonder if anyone has any experiece with this trigger or any other single stage triggers that are very light and crisp?

Thank you in advance for your input!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:52:44 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am working on building up a 600 yard plus 6.5 grendel rifle, and I am interested in your opinions of different aftermarket triggers.

As a rifle shooter I am well versed in a short light, incredibly crisp trigger pull.

In other words the pretravel that goes along with two stage triggers is not acceptable to me.

I see the JARD trigger in brownells and wonder if anyone has any experiece with this trigger or any other single stage triggers that are very light and crisp?

Thank you in advance for your input!

If you're set on a single stage, take a look at this:

JP Enterprises - Trigger stuff

They build pretty high quality parts and rifles.  I do like the idea of a low mass hammer for shortening lock time.  You may be familiar with "low mass" or titanium firing pins in bolt guns doing he same thing, but in an AR, it's the hammer that makes the bigger difference in lock time.  Most feel that a titanium firing pin is a waste of money in an AR.

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I am familiar with the "low mass" concept.

Thank you for your input, I will research the JP line of producte further and consider them in my final decision.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm confused about your aversion to two stage triggers.

Have you ever tried a GOOD, match quality two stage?  Like a KAC, Jewell, or Geissele?

I will tell you this: do not ever fire a rifle equipped with an Anschutz two stage match trigger.  Nothing else will ever be good enough.

The two stage dominates virtually all position target shooting disciplines.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:22:45 AM EDT
[#4]
the pretravel of any two stage trigger is inferior to a crisp clean breaking trigger without pretravel.

I've tuned many a bolt gun to have an incredibly light trigger with no percievable pretravel and minimal over travel. I would like to replicate this in an AR rifle if possible...

However I realize that it might not be possible in this platform, if not, I'll probably go with one of the match 2 stage triggers you talk about.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:01:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
the pretravel of any two stage trigger is inferior to a crisp clean breaking trigger without pretravel..

You say that as if that was an absolute truth.  

But the fact is that there are many world-class shooters at the national and international levels who will disagree with your opinion.

Some of them (David Tubb for one) will also disagree with you on the assumption that overtravel is undesirable.

Anyway, enjoy your rifle.

ETA: I do have a single stage Jewell in a Model 70 HP target gun that breaks like the proverbial glass rod.  So it's not like I have nothing to compare.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:11:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Don't Jewell triggers allow for adjustment of travel and weight?  MJD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:15:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Here's the deal--

* Pretravel and overtravel increase reliability.  What do you think stops overtravel?  Some sort of screw adjustment or physical block.  What happens when the trigger CANNOT move far enough to the rear to release the sear, due to debris on that physical block?   The FCG will not drop the hammer.  BAD.  Repeat for pretravel.

* I have tried the JP, JP modular, and the McCormick modular/drop-in triggers.  All have some creep/roll.  That said, the JP's can be adjusted to be light, reliable, and smooth, but there is still some trigger movement that corresponds to sear movement.  We're talking about roll/movement similar to a 1911, so less than 0.1" of movement (probably less).  Reset distance on these triggers is very short, and there is no trigger bounce.

* A good two stage trigger like the RRA NM or WOA will have an extremely crisp second stage.  The reset distance is longer.  There is some trigger bounce.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The Geissele trigger is all the rage right now.  Everyone, and I mean everyone, who has used one says they are THE best.  That comes from competitive match rifle and service rifle shooters.  These people shoot alot and have tried and essentially given up on all the other triggers.  From what I hear, even the White Oak is now in a distant second place.

They come in two configurations - one for match rifles and one for service rifles.  I have the match rifle version but have not installed it yet.

A word of caution - in a semiautomatic rifle a two stage trigger offers a degree of safety not offered by a single stage, especially a single stage set to very low pull weight.  I have had the single stage Jewell set too low and had the trigger release during an energetic bolt manipulation during rapid fire.  YOU DO NOT WANT THIS TO HAPPEN IN A SEMIAUTO with a single stage trigger set to too low of a pull weight.  That first stage adds to the total pull weight but consider it your "friend".  It prevents the actions virations from tripping the trigger accidentally.  A light, crisp second stage that is reliable and repeatable is what you are after.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:45:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:I have had the single stage Jewell set too low and had the trigger release during an energetic bolt manipulation during rapid fire.  

Same here.  I bought a used Model 70 match rifle with a Jewell single stage.  On day, while dry firing some rapid fire drills, I closed the bolt fast and heard the "click" of the pin falling BEFORE I had turned the bolt's handle all the way down.  

I quickly got on the sear engagement screw and gave it some........
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:54:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Lot's of time on the JARD.  It is a fantastic trigger, and adjusted properly, I don't think you can beat it for a single stage.  I've used the adjustable JARD in a couple of precision AR's, and I'm running the non-adjustable version in the gun I shoot in the tactical rifle matches.  The non-adjustable JARD has more take-up / over-travel than you would want in a trigger for a precision rifle.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:44:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don't Jewell triggers allow for adjustment of travel and weight?  MJD

yes
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:18:44 PM EDT
[#12]
i use the jp with the 3.5# springs.  short and crisp.  ive used it at 400 yds on golfballs in a dpms 308.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top