Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 3:37:14 PM EDT
In the event of a Katrina like SHTF event, what will you be using to carry your spare magazines?  In the shooting schools, I have simply used a web belt with a single mag pouch.  I somehow think this would be a bit limiting in real life.  

Any advice?  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:01:50 PM EDT
[#1]
A simple set of standard military issued LBE would be the minimum.  Standard LBE will let you carry ammo, water, medical stuff, holster for pistol, and with the addition of a butt pack, extra socks, food, etc.  It's cheap and readily had.

Last year, while preparing to deploy for Katrina refief efforts, I realized just how "behind the power curve" I was in the "go to field gear" department.

I now have 4 sets of LBE (me, wife, 2 kids) as well as a Blackhawk tactical vest.  There are many options out there..................

I would imagine that this is one of the most over looked areas.

In my patrol car, I have 2 seperate shell belts, one has 25 slugs, the other 25 00 Buck.   One day a fellow officer laughed and made a smart ass comment about it and when I replied something to the effect "ok, if you want to be on track with the K-9, stand parimeter, responded to a robbery in progress, etc with only the 4 rounds that's in your shotgun, that's fine by me, but when you fire your 4 issued rounds, don't look to me for re-supply".

Gear is something you don't realize you need until it's too late............
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:05:58 PM EDT
[#2]
there are a lot of good ways to carry ammo and gear and you shouldn't have to spend a fortune on them to get something that works well.

don't want to sound like a mall ninja here but this is what i keep on hand:
i picked up a plate carrier in kandahar for about $30 so, of course that gave me an excuse to buy some steel plates for it because i wouldn't want to feel foolish having a plate carrier but not plates when i got home. i also bought some molle magazine pouches and gear pouches to attach to my iba (ironically i haven't used the plate carrier yet other than to try it on with the plates in) i have two 4 mag pouches, a water bladder pouch, a blowout kit and a couple pouches for miscellaneous crap. i'll probably put a holster and pistol mag pouch on the carrier as well. i have a large (huge, really) fanny pack type bag that i bought from cabella's which acts as my BOB. together this allows for a fairly compact american express type setup. hopefully it'll never be used. even if the evil robot alien zombies take over, i still feel the best strategy is to stay home and keep out of other people's hair for the duration.

dedicated vests are great but although i haven't tried any, i'd recommend you stay away from budget "tactical" vests. i really like the molle system as it allows you to put on what you want, where you want it. the lbv was a great improvement over the lbe but i still ditched the vest in favor of attaching gear directly to my iba.

hope this helps.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Blackhawk Industries Omega vest with Omega drop holster

360 rds of 5.56 ready or
120 rds of 7.62 HK91 ready plus my G22 with 4 mags
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:18:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I going to buy this just for SHTF. Probably a waste of my money but  you only live once.

http://www.spectergear.com/mk2_chest_rig.htm
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:20:53 PM EDT
[#5]
If you're walking out, are you going to have a longarm slung over your back?  If so, you won't be allowed into shelters.

If you're driving out, I would think a pistol would be more manageable.  

Either way, one of the tactical concealment vets, such as the Woolrich Elite series, would work.  The Woolrich has AR15 mag pockets on the front of it.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:23:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you're walking out, are you going to have a longarm slung over your back?  If so, you won't be allowed into shelters.

Either way, one of the tactical concealment vets, such as the Woolrich Elite series, would work.  The Woolrich has AR15 mag pockets on the front of it.  

Going to a "shelter" during a SHTF situation would be like seeking refuge in a concentration camp.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#7]
hear, hear
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:16:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going to a "shelter" during a SHTF situation would be like seeking refuge in a concentration camp.

Well, he did say in a Katrina like SHTF situation.  Most Americans aren't prepared to go and live in the woods until a city is restored.  They move from city to evacuation shelter to city.  Not city to living in the woods and foraging back to the city.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:13:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Try this: optactical.com/noname33.html

Add some mag pouches, a belt (std mil belt fits the belt loops), some misc stuff, and you're ready to go.

I find that 4 double AR15 type mag pouches works well, with some room on the front top and sides for extras.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I would not base any plans around the need to get admission to a shelter.  If you were so ill prepared that you have to go to a gov't run shelter, you're probably fucked already. Tourists and the elderdly without family aside, look at the people who were stuck down there in New Orleans: the unprepared, the stubborn, the poor.  And the stupid. (which greatly overlaps all of those last three categories).

This isn't a knock on the efforts of the Guard, etc., who worked hard down in LA and other places, but everybody here should be perfectly able to take care of themselves.

That being said, good gear isn't expensive.  Take a look at Tactical Tailor; they make MOLLE compatible modular stuff.  It's made in the US, has a lifetime warranty, and is tough.  A two-piece (front opening) MAV chest rig, a couple mag pouches, and a couple pouches for a canteen and first aid stuff, and you're all set.   All the military guys are moving to ACU or coyote, so the woodland stuff is on sale.  Best bargain going at the moment in gear.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Sir,

I have a Tactical Taylor 1 piece MAV and Padded harness in woodland that I am looking to get rid of.
I never used it, I bought Body armor and am attaching my pouches directly to that instead.

Let me know if you are interested.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I don't have anything at the moment, but I have been looking at these: www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=2098&d=

I can't seem to decide whether to get a full chest rig or not.  It just seems like a full chest rig would be mighty cumbersome on a long hike, versus a sling type rig.  I am still researching, though.

Brian
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:20:23 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Good point.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:23:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sir,

I have a Tactical Taylor 1 piece MAV and Padded harness in woodland that I am looking to get rid of.
I never used it, I bought Body armor and am attaching my pouches directly to that instead.

Let me know if you are interested.

Shit, I thought I IM'd that, sorry.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1922&d=

I absolutly love this vestI have had it for 2 years now and it works great, holds 6 ar 30rd mags , pistol and the back has multipe things that can be attached to it via alice clips or velcro.

Andy
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:46:09 PM EDT
[#16]

I have a vest in a similar setup but mine holds 12 mags (2 in each pocket, it would help if I had
ranger plates from Magpul) in the front with 3 pistol mag pouches.

I need a drop-down leg holster for my right leg that will fit my PX4 though. I also need a BOB and a drop-down leg mag holder for more mags on the other leg.

The one I have is in black, I am trying to trade it for the same one in OD green.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:51:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Does anyone have any experience/reviews on this one:www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.asp?product_id=1929&d=
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a Battle Lab Low-Vis Rack on backorder... gonna be available in a few more weeks.... i havent used it yet, obviously, but it seems simple, compact, and solid.

Battlelab Low-Vis Rack
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:04:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
i18.ebayimg.com/02/i/06/04/2b/d0_1.JPG

I have a vest in a similar setup but mine holds 12 mags (2 in each pocket, it would help if I had
ranger plates from Magpul) in the front with 3 pistol mag pouches.

I need a drop-down leg holster for my right leg that will fit my PX4 though. I also need a BOB and a drop-down leg mag holder for more mags on the other leg.

The one I have is in black, I am trying to trade it for the same one in OD green.

+1  got this one that Galls markets (just like the Blackhawk one)--got it off the EE for $45

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I think I might want this one next

Not in the tech forums...
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:23:29 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/04/aa/81/d6_1_b.JPG

Oh crap, you're going straight to BOTD hell for that pic since she has some skin showing.
Nice ahhhhh vest.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:18:47 AM EDT
[#22]
I would use an Eagle but that is because it is my work vest
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:33:42 AM EDT
[#23]
I would use a LBE set up for my SHTF senerio.  Couple of mag pouches, compass, canteens, first aid, butt pack with poncho, dry socks, one MRE, 550 cord.  All other esstenisals will be in the ruck on my back.  Live out of the ruck and fight with the LBE.  Course you have to have a basic understanding of SURVIVAL/fieldcraft to make the most out of every piece of equipment.  I have several set up for different weapon systems however the only get used during deployments.

CD
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 2:09:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Good Old MOLLE II Vest with:

MOLLE II Vest
4X Dual Mag Pouches
2x Grenade Pouches
1 Buttpack
1 Canteen pouch with canteen & cup
1 Utility pouch (originally made for SAW Ammo, I carry 2 double clamped mags)
2 pistol mag pouches (attached to buttpack.

I carry about 12 mags for my AR, 4 mags for my Sig P226, food & medical stuff on the buttpack & grenade pouches and all is within easy reach, just grab my vest, my AR and my Sig and head for high ground.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 11:39:24 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't want to get into how much tactical gear, WWII to the present, is packed into the one room of the house my wife lets me keep the stuff in. I've got LBE, a 1996ish LBV since that's what we used when I first came to the 101, a MOLLE II, and my SOTech Hellcat chest rig is over here with me. I liked the layered setup, allowed me to hide mags behind my 203 rounds.  I LOVE my Hellcat, but it is Way Not Cheap. How it's set up right now will have zero relation to you guys as I have a lot of shit on there I would not have when I'm off the clock.

As for ready to go, loaded bug out LBE for my best personally owned rifle. For the Garand, a complete M1936 pistol belt rig with suspenders, bayonet, and canteen, four rigger pouches packed full of Garand clips. Think it was 32 eight-round clips plus two spare 1911 mags last I counted, backed up by another 96 rounds in bandoleers in the bug-out bag which also contains some chow and a decent load of medical stuff. Remember, I do not yet have my first privately owned AR.

Now at work, I'm currently driving a Hummvee. Driving out, yeah, a handgun is easier, but if something happens to end your ride, you'd better have a good long gun handy and the rest of the people whose hands AREN'T on the wheel better have long guns out covering their assigned sectors of fire, 'K? And the belt and thigh rig combos we all love for stand-up shooting really suck when you're trying to squeeze in behind the wheel. Body armor if you have it (we do) compounds the problem. I highly recommend a couple load-up tests, where you put on your gear then get in the car. Do it in the garage if it will scare the neighbors, but figure out, if you're planning a 500 mile exodus up the road away from where your local S is HTF, if you can carry your mags wherever you're planning on having them and still get the driver's door closed.

Survive off what you carry on you. Fight off your LBV. Live out of your pack, and think of your car as resupply for your pack. Do not load so that you cannot step out of the car, grab your bag, and make it for a week.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Missing is the 1st line setup consisting of duty belt, 6004 (for the G19 w/ X200), M60 pouch, Eagle 3 mag pouch for Glock mags, Tac Tailor leg panel for 2 spare AR mags, 1 Glock mag, 1 ALS mini smoke grenade, and 1 Surefire G2

Also my Camelbak Hawg would be worn for hydration needs

Ruck also not included.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 3:44:22 AM EDT
[#27]

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 4:16:12 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I going to buy this just for SHTF. Probably a waste of my money but  you only live once.

www.spectergear.com/mk2_chest_rig.htm

This is what I have.

It holds three magazines and packs down nice and small.  It will fit easily in the front pocket of one of these, plus my Eagle case is blue.  I wish I could get one of these in a non-tactical color though because I think it's a better case for this purpose.

I evacuated two times in 2004 (once right into the path of a storm) and semi-evacuated once in 2005 (went 30 miles inland right into the path of the eye of Wilma).  I took at least one rifle with me every time.  The most important thing to have every time was my regular CCW.  Beyond that it was comforting to know that I had a rifle with me as well.

With hurricanes you never know if you're evacuating in the right direction or not, at least in Florida.  If you wind up right in the path of the storm, like I did, you never know what might happen.  Do I think I'm likely to ever need a handgun, let alone a rifle, in these situations?  No.  Do I like the comfort factor of having firearms and ammunition for them in these situations?  Abso-fucking-lutely.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:25:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
A simple set of standard military issued LBE would be the minimum.  Standard LBE will let you carry ammo, water, medical stuff, holster for pistol, and with the addition of a butt pack, extra socks, food, etc.  It's cheap and readily had.

Last year, while preparing to deploy for Katrina refief efforts, I realized just how "behind the power curve" I was in the "go to field gear" department.

I now have 4 sets of LBE (me, wife, 2 kids) as well as a Blackhawk tactical vest.  There are many options out there..................

I would imagine that this is one of the most over looked areas.

In my patrol car, I have 2 seperate shell belts, one has 25 slugs, the other 25 00 Buck.   One day a fellow officer laughed and made a smart ass comment about it and when I replied something to the effect "ok, if you want to be on track with the K-9, stand parimeter, responded to a robbery in progress, etc with only the 4 rounds that's in your shotgun, that's fine by me, but when you fire your 4 issued rounds, don't look to me for re-supply".

Gear is something you don't realize you need until it's too late............

AMEN
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:12:56 AM EDT
[#30]
What's an LBE.  I want a vest, but can't find one that I really like without having to spend $200 either.

Any suggestions?  I want one that carries AR mags and Glock mags

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
What's an LBE.  I want a vest, but can't find one that I really like without having to spend $200 either.

LBE is generally used to describe the old school ALICE gear used by the Army up until around 2002 or so.  You should be able to go to a local Ary/Navy store and pick up an entire rig for under $100 (mag pouches, pistol mag pouch, canteens, etc)
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:52:31 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

There are people that read these boards from work, please remove the picture.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 8:54:25 AM EDT
[#33]
tag for later
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

By the time you get a high quality vest and all the various MOLLE pouches, that $200 won't go very far. You could do it by buying cheap gear, but you know the old adage about only buying the good stuff once vs buying cheap stuff, having it break/wear out, and then buying the good stuff (or keep on buying cheap stuff)...

Now if you can live with the older LBE gear, you can do it for less that $100. Much less comfortable though, I find. Save your pennies and get the good stuff, IMHO.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 9:10:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

There are people that read these boards from work, please remove the picture.

Firstly, why are you supporting people who waste company time?  Secondly, get rid of that gun in your avatar.  It's much more offensive at the workplace than a fully clothed female.

As for the lot of ya, you are hearby prohibited from purchasing Blackhawk's products.  Go buy something made in the USA not Vietnam and China.

dave3006-

Go get yourself one of these for the time being.  Once you figure out what you really want, you can start putting it together.

That is all.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 10:06:26 AM EDT
[#36]
I have a blackhawk SOS M16 Mag pouch

http://www.copsplus.com/prodnum3417.php

It holds 6 mags, wears like a sling or satchel. Very comfortable and VERY affordable. 180 rnds .223 at your side.

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#37]
I've spent about 4K on gear in as many years. My advice... go borrow some before you buy anything. Think about what you'll be carrying. Ammo is one thing, but having a camelback or Hydrastorm is just as important. I won't try to tell you how to plane your survival stuff, but 1st, 2nd, and 3rd line gear IS the way to go (as was already mentioned.)

As a contractor, I've carried a bunch of stuff in a bunch of places, since getting away from the crap the Army issued. I would make the following obsevations from my experience.

Keep your pistol on your 1st line, along with a good quality "work a day" knife. Keep a couple of mags for your pistol (more if it's lo-cap) and at least two mags for your long gun as well. I had Gene over at HSGI make me a custom rig that carried two of each and a radio pouch last time I was in Iraq.  You'll want a bug out kit with some first aid supplies, spare batteries for anything you have that uses them, and a map and compass.  For survival, you'll probably want a nice water filtration system too. Chlorine works but does nasty thing to you.

If you don't need a lot of ammo (just for self defense and if you have a resupply in a ruck like you should have) you can get by with a 5.11 tactical vest. It's not overbearing in appearance and can carry a lot more than ammo in case you have to acquire "stuff" while you're out and about.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 2:38:33 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Firstly, why are you supporting people who waste company time?  Secondly, get rid of that gun in your avatar.  It's much more offensive at the workplace than a fully clothed female.

Learn to think outside the box, there is more to things than just what you see in your world.  Did you ever stop to think that the deployed military surfs the web as well?  Images like that are enough to get them in trouble.  Oddly enough, the military isn't offended by "guns".  

Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:36:53 PM EDT
[#39]
I think that for the situation the original poster asked about, this would be perfect.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 5:55:25 PM EDT
[#40]
a LCE is the old ALICE belt and suspenders.  a LBV is the vest with mag/grenade pouches, and pistol belt.
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 6:13:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Here is my chest rig, I'm sure its a copy from someone elses design. I'm over that
It holds 9,30 rounders, has two gear pockets(one on each side of the mags), a large map pocket that you could stuff a lot of shit in.
Is it as durable as the high dollar items? No, i'm sure it isnt.
It has however with stood the abuse of shooting and training.
I like it and it is comfortable with a full load.
Point is it works for me, it may not for others. Others may need something alot more sturdy
Cheaper Than Dirt $19.95
Reaper
http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/1fastgxr/mine.jpg
Link Posted: 2/4/2006 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#42]
As someone who has actualy been in a few SHTF situations, I keep a number of these:

From www.galatiinternational.com/

www.galatiinternational.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=GIO&Product_Code=GLMP30&Category_Code=Magazinepouches

The Galati International GLMP30 mag pouch.  It holds 6 USGI 30's, each in its own separate pocket with velcro flap... so they don't rattle.  Four D-rings, shoulder strap.  KISS

It is very easy and fast to grab a rifle and mag pouch, and go.  You can pin one of the GI cleaning kit pouches on the strap if your AR is a carbine.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top