Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/2/2006 12:55:37 PM EDT
Is thier any reduction in accuracy or zero hold when mounting optics on a quality non-FF rail system like the KAC or MI 2 piece rails? From the fact that these are no gunsmithing rails and go on and off like normal handguards I would assume so. But I have seen numerous instances of optics and lasers being mounted on KAC's that are used by the military. could someone fill me in?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:05:29 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is thier any reduction in accuracy or zero hold when mounting optics on a quality non-FF rail system like the KAC or MI 2 piece rails? From the fact that these are no gunsmithing rails and go on and off like normal handguards I would assume so. But I have seen numerous instances of optics and lasers being mounted on KAC's that are used by the military. could someone fill me in?

I personally would not do it no matter whose system it was, there is always a room for a little play and it doenst take much play to get even a quality optic off. I would stick with a FF system if you where going to mount an optic to it.

I have a non FF YHM handgaurd and although its very tight i wouldnt think about mounting an optic on it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
i wouldnt either.

they are susceptable to movement and would cause zero problems.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't mount optics or lasers on non-FF rails.

You can obviously mount other stuff like white lights, vfg, bipods, etc.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:16:45 PM EDT
[#4]
I stuck my Aimpoint on my non-ff rail and put a magnifier on the receiver and pulled
around on the VFG and the dot was moving around quite a bit...

If you're hellbent on forward mounting, there are now some pretty affordable
FF's that don't require a ton of 'smithing...MI comes to mind.

my .02
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I stuck my Aimpoint on my non-ff rail and put a magnifier on the receiver and pulled
around on the VFG and the dot was moving around quite a bit...

If you're hellbent on forward mounting, there are now some pretty affordable
FF's that don't require a ton of 'smithing...MI comes to mind.

my .02

Yes just put a set of MI two peice FF on my Beowulf (although I had to do some modification on the cap to get it to fit, but the beowulf is like .050 thicker than a typical barrel), the quality is GREAT! I would highly recommend MI for the quality and price! Just cut off the delta ring and spring/c-clip and bam install it with a few screws!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 1:26:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Supposedly they will repeat like FF rail systems, but handguards have play in them which may just be enough for a potential loss of repeat. I don't have enough faith in them personally, even if the loss is negligible, but some shooters wouldn't notice the difference.

If free float rails are not an option I would go with a gooseneck rail where you won't have this issue.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:22:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thats what I thought, but I see the military mounting all kinds of lasers and optics on thier system, so I wondered what the deal was.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Lots of PAC4's and PEQ-2A's on non free floated KAC RAS's killin bad guys out their....

at CQB ranges you can get by as well, but that's not the best way and I would not do it it. I keep my Optics on the receiver rail where it belongs and I don't need a Laser.........YMMV
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:06:32 PM EDT
[#9]
What about the RAS II, it has the raised portion of rails that clamps to the reciever. Looks like it was designed with optics in mind.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:13:06 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Lots of PAC4's and PEQ-2A's on non free floated KAC RAS's killin bad guys out their....

at CQB ranges you can get by as well, but that's not the best way and I would not do it it. I keep my Optics on the receiver rail where it belongs and I don't need a Laser.........YMMV

I've seen picture of PEQ-2A's held on to A2 handguards with tape.  I don't know how common this is, but it sweems to me that it would limit the ability oif the user to get full use from his weapon.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:58:14 PM EDT
[#11]
I have used the YHM 2 piece handguard (#YHM-9670) to mount my EOTech on my Bushmaster for some time now. I have not noticed any movement or play that has caused a shift between p.o.a. and p.o.i. as mine appear to be solid and secure. Since I am a LEO, I have however after receiving the enclosed e-mail from Yankee Hill, removed the EOTech from this location and installed it on the upper receiver. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry! I hope this information helps.

Hello,
>

>
>Does this 2 piece handguard (YHM- 9670) mount securely enough on the
>rifle to mount and use an EO tech on it?
>

>
>Thank You,

Sorry about the delay in answering your e-mail.
It depends on the rifle, some guys say our 2 pc. hanguards are rock solid and some say they have a little play. These handguards are not guarantied not to have a little play in them. If you buy a set dirrectly from us and you are not satisfied with them, you can return them for a refund as long as the handguards are in resellable condition.
Thank you
Customer Service
YHM
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have used the YHM 2 piece handguard (#YHM-9670) to mount my EOTech on my Bushmaster for some time now. I have not noticed any movement or play that has caused a shift between p.o.a. and p.o.i. as mine appear to be solid and secure. Since I am a LEO, I have however after receiving the enclosed e-mail from Yankee Hill, removed the EOTech from this location and installed it on the upper receiver. I feel it is better to be safe than sorry! I hope this information helps.

Hello,
>

>
>

>
>Thank You,

It depends on the rifle, some guys say our 2 pc. hanguards are rock solid and some say they have a little play. These handguards are not guarantied not to have a little play in them. If you buy a set dirrectly from us and you are not satisfied with them, you can return them for a refund as long as the handguards are in resellable condition.
Thank you
Customer Service
YHM

Not to change the subject, but you waited a long time before your first post.  Nice to hear from you, though.  My Sure-Fire two piece is very solid with loc-tite, but I haven't put any optics on yet.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:25:57 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hello,
>

>
>

>
>Thank You,

Thank you
Customer Service
YHM

Not to change the subject, but you waited a long time before your first post.  Nice to hear from you, though.  My Sure-Fire two piece is very solid with loc-tite, but I haven't put any optics on yet.

Thank you. I unfortunately do not have a lot of free time to read and post, but I do try to pass on whatever information and knowledge I may have to help. Overall the people on this site seem to be very knowledgable and helpful.

If I am not mistaken doesn't the SureFire also have a set of locking screws in front for a more secure fit at the end cap?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#14]
 Yes, the Sure Fire does have screws at the end.  They are what need the Loc-tite, as they will loosen after a couple hundred rounds or so.  I do think it is a good product for the money and ease of installation.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top