Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 2:04:56 PM EDT

Money is no object, this is just for fun.

If every single ounce counted what would you build?

I guess it would start on a Cav Arms lower right?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:10:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I would not start with CavArms, but it may be the lighter option

I would see a traditional AR lower (almost any make) with a super-light (TM name of pencil barrel) in a 10" set up

use car hand-guards, and a gen 1 collapsible stock, and you would have a very light rifle

Maybe the carbon line from Bushmaster would have the oz/lb advantage, but I cannot imagine buying one.

IIRC, there is a good lightweight picture thread here somewhere and it has many innovative featherweights

Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
It'd be tough to beat the Carbon-15.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:24:41 AM EDT
[#3]
My current project...super light. Not done yet, still collecting parts. Current plans are for it to have:

Colt 11.5 pencil barrel flat top upper
DD 7.0
std FSB
KAC 300m rear sight
Aimpoint in LaRue straight mount
old style CAR stock
KAC VFG
ladder panels
TD pistol grip
SF M600A

I hope it's under 7lbs with light and optic, not sure if I'll make it though. Considered a compact ACOG, but decided against it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:33:37 AM EDT
[#4]
CavArms lower, slick side SP1 style upper,  and Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel with standard carbine handgaurds would be very light.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:38:19 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
CavArms lower, slick side SP1 style upper,  and Bushmaster 16" superlight barrel with standard carbine handgaurds would be very light.

That is exactly what came to my mind, with the exception of a DD 7.0, and you might have thought it too but didn't say, an old school 4 position car stock.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd start with a Bushmaster Carbon-15 M4A3 14.5" chrome bore/barrel, swap out the brake with a vortex flash hider, throw on a Larue 9" or 12" Rail with a Larue LP Gas Block, an Ace K-Grip in Delrin.

That's the lightest setup you are gonna get (without a Form 1)

- rem
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 6:50:05 AM EDT
[#7]
SlumLord holds the record from over a year ago with Vulcan/Hesse Carbon Fiber recievers, and shaving a lot of material off of parts. You will have to look in the archives.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#8]
11.5 colt pencil bbl.
a1/slabside upper
car fiberlite stock
alum lower.

sbr
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#9]
I think I remember someone posting somthing in a similar thread a while back showing that the DD 7.0 was actually lighter than standard CAR length handguards. A photo of the two on scales or somthing like that.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:39:55 AM EDT
[#10]
DD 7.0 w/o rail covers is lighter installed than M4 handguards due to the aluminium barrel but.

IIRC the lowest weight for an assembled AR so far has been in the 4.9lb range.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
DD 7.0 w/o rail covers is lighter installed than M4 handguards due to the aluminium barrel but.

IIRC the lowest weight for an assembled AR so far has been in the 4.9lb range.

I built mine using ARFX skeleton stock, ABS carbon fiber barrel, Lightweight YHM free float quad rail and a vortex G6. Turned out at 6.5 pounds w/o sights. Wasn't too bad.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#12]
BM Carbon Fiber Lower (it's lighter than the Cav-Arms)
Ace Stubby Skeleton Stock (lightest stock available)
M16 Upper (no FA/No brass deflector - but it includes the sights)
A1 Pistol Grip (lightest)
'AWB' 16" Bushmaster LW barrel (adding a FS just increases the weight and isn't needed if you shoot Black Hills ammo - even cutting the barrel back and permanently attaching a FS would weigh more).
Hiperform Carbon Fiber Tube "Ultra Light" model - lightest handguard system available period (though no rails it does FF the barrel)
Use a Colt 'no ring' bolt carrier (I won't use an aluminum carrier).

Total weight: 5.65lbs

Rifle has sights and sling swivels to accept a standard sling.  Without drilling holes in parts or shaving the front sight (or part of the carry handle) you really can't make a lighter 'standard' AR-15.  This is lighter than a Bushmaster Carbon 15 flattop and lighter than the Carbon 15 Model 4

The only 'AR type' that is lighter is the Bushmaster Carbone 15 Type 97S which doesn't have an ejection port cover, nor does is have sling swivels to accept a standard sling (It also can't accept other stocks).
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:28:58 PM EDT
[#13]
So the Larue 9.0 or 12.0 is out...  Carbine barrels with Carbine gas systems is the way to go.

the 14.5 with vortex would be my barrel choice as well.  

Anyone measure the weight of different grips yet?  it seems all the grips or flip up sights and stocks should be weighed as well...

How come noone has mentioned a set of titanium parts from DPMS?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
BM Superlight 16" Brl w/ target crown and no muzzle devise.

M16 upper with no forward assist.

Colt bolt carrier with lower rear portion shaved.

Fiberlight collapsible stock.

CAR15 handguards with liner removed from upper handguard.

Shaved bayonet lug and no front sling swivel.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:50:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
BM Superlight 16" Brl w/ target crown and no muzzle devise.

M16 upper with no forward assist.

Colt bolt carrier with lower rear portion shaved.

Fiberlight collapsible stock.

CAR15 handguards with liner removed from upper handguard.

Shaved bayonet lug and no front sling swivel.

Close but my configuration is still lighter..

Anyone measure the weight of different grips yet?

Yes, and all that data is published on the Maryland AR-15 Shooters Site in an Excel spreadsheet that is stored in the Documents section there.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
anyone thought of using one of those AR15 pistol recievers with all of the holes machined into it?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 7:06:31 AM EDT
[#17]
My totally original SP1 CAR15 is 5 lbs 12 oz without a sling or mag and a 20 rd mag is 2.9 oz empty. The scale I used is damn accurate ! I just verified it with my NRA type trigger pull gauge wgts !!

rj
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top