Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 1:50:56 PM EDT
Hey I was looking to buy a new AR.  Where I live Colt isnt available new anymore, so I have narrowed my choices down. I have eliminated DPMS and Olympic as quality seems abit inconsitent maybe.  What are peoples opinions on Stag arms? I know they are popular choice for uppers, but what about the whole rifle? Other choice was RRA or Bushmaster. But Ive heard some negative things about Bushmaster.  I have heard that Stag uses the same forgings as Colt? But then machines them? Also the Stag I am lookin at has stock chrome barrel, 1:9 twist.  Is there any benefit to going all Stag? Or should I consider Stag upper and RRA lower, or is the RRA trigger extras not worth the hype? Thanks for any feedback. Ive never seen a Stag up close and it will be mail order if I get it. Shot many Bushys and Colts.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:56:40 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an all Stag.  Fit and Finish on both upper and lower is amazing. And they match perfect, which is saying alot, considering I bought the lower stripped and the upper seperate, albiet from the same dealer.  

It drives tacks too.  And its even prettier now that it has that nice brass colored accent on the case deflector!

The Deer Rocks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:59:20 PM EDT
[#2]
The only complaint I have is the damn deer head on the side. The fit, finish, and overall quality is as good as anything out there. I love my Stag.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:01:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you go all Stag, look around for seperate uppers and lowers online to save money.

I just ordered a Stag upper from Aim Surplus for $475 with the ARMS #40 BUIS.

I am about to order a Stag lower with RRA National Match trigger installed for $300.

Add $15 for the FFL, $20 for shipping, and you have a complete gun for a little over $800.  The same gun has an MSRP of $925 on Stag's website.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:14:26 PM EDT
[#4]
THis might seem like a stupid question. But how hard is it to assemble an upper and lower? Is it just a matter of press in pins?     Do these pins come with either the uppers or lowers? Do I need special tools?  I own several rifles and pistols, but no ARs, so this will be my first one. Is assembling a stripped lower hard to do?  Anything else I should look for when I go for it?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
You just press in the pins. They come as part of the lower. No tools, other than an opposable thumb are required. It should take you less than 60 seconds to put together. If you can snap together Legos you can assemble an upper and lower. It's that easy.

Assembling a stripped lower is a little harder and you need some tools, but it is not difficult. I'm no tool guy, but I have assembled a few lowers. The last one took about 45 minutes. This site has great assembly instructions. Follow them and you can't go wrong.

That said, you would be better off buying an assembled lower the first time out, just so you can see how it works and is put together. Build your next one. You will have a next one.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:24:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Cant go wrong with either Bushmaster, Rock River Arms or Stag.  It's really about preference. Bushy triggers are single stage, RRA are two stage and I believe Stag are also single stage but I'm not sure. Bushmaster uses crappy plastic trigger guards, RRA's barrels don't come chrome lined on most models but you can add it as an option for more $ and Stag's deer head logo is FUGLY, IMO. Generally, Stag is the cheapest, then RRA and Bushy is usually the more expensive of the three. If cost is a factor and you can get past the deer head, then go Stag. If you like 2 stage triggers and don't mind paying extra for a chrome lined barrel, get a RRA . Bushmaster is also a great option and high quality, just more expensive. Replacing the trigger guard with an aluminum one is no big deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
THis might seem like a stupid question. But how hard is it to assemble an upper and lower? Is it just a matter of press in pins?     Do these pins come with either the uppers or lowers? Do I need special tools?  I own several rifles and pistols, but no ARs, so this will be my first one. Is assembling a stripped lower hard to do?  Anything else I should look for when I go for it?

FYI, you separate it back into upper and lower halves for cleaning.  It'll become second nature to you.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
yeah where I live Stag is alittle bit more money then RRA and Bushy is alittle bit more money then the Stag.  So would it make more sense then to say buy a Stag upper and get a RRA lower which isnt stripped? ARghgh very confusing. I think I will only get the one AR, as Ive wanted one for a long time, but Im gonna buy a Sig 552 non selectfire CQB next which is almost tripple the price of the Stag.  

Thanks for the replies.  For ammo I am gonna shoot mostly American Eagle cheap stuff as its readily available and cheap.  

Is there any major factors in quality separating RRA from STag other than the chrome barrel issues? Are tolerances or durability slightly better on either brand?
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 2:53:50 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
and Stag's deer head logo is FUGLY, IMO.

This is the chief complaint about Stag.....the Logo is ugly.  If that is the worst people can come up with, you know your getting a good gun.  

"It shoots great, but the logo......"
"Finish is nice, but the logo......"
"Reliable as hell, but the logo....."

I dont care about the stamp on the side, the way mine looks and shoots, you could stamp Bambi on the friggin thing and I'd be just as happy.  
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
and Stag's deer head logo is FUGLY, IMO.

This is the chief complaint about Stag.....the Logo is ugly.  If that is the worst people can come up with, you know your getting a good gun.  

"It shoots great, but the logo......"
"Finish is nice, but the logo......"
"Reliable as hell, but the logo....."

I dont care about the stamp on the side, the way mine looks and shoots, you could stamp Bambi on the friggin thing and I'd be just as happy.  

Safariland has a deer logo too.   I had shown a few guys at work my Stag lower. They wanted me to organize another group buy at work for some Stag lowers.  No one seems to have them in stock so we decided on RRA.  One guy was dissappointed that he couldn't get  the "deer logo lower".   The rest could care less and just want an AR/M4 that works.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

If you can operate Leggos, you can do it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:30:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I guess I'm in the minority that like the deer head logo. If that's the only thing negative about it then it's a great gun.

+1 on buying the upper and lower separately. I bought my complete lower back in the fall for $220, and I'm still waiting on my upper to be delivered from a company that I won't name because I'm pissed at them at the moment. A little hint for you sellers: If you don't have something in stock let the customer know and damn sure don't charge their card until you do get it in stock.

ETA: I highly recommend AIM Surplus.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:35:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I have two Bushmasters and had one STAG which I sold to fund a 9MM.

I would do STAG again and hopefully as I get a bit more cash flow will build another. I purchased the stripped lower complete upper and put in a DPMS parts kit. I loved it, shot great but just need the funds.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
STAG ARMS ROCKS! I HAVE A COMPLETE FACTORY BOUGHT RIFLE FROM THEM< AND IT"S THE BEST RIFLE I OWN FIT AND FUNCTION IS THE BEST! I LOVE THE DEER HEAD< IT ROCKS!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:15:15 AM EDT
[#15]
I have a Stag arms lower that I used for my first build. Great fit and finish on the lower, and will buy Stag again.  High quality stuff.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 3:15:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Have a Stag upper, and have been satisfied, except for one thing:

At an armorer's course two weeks ago, we couldn't get the FSB pins out.  A dozen punches and at least a couple hundred hammer blows later, we shrugged and swore.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 4:54:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I've got at Stag lower on the way.  I don't like the deer head, but I couldn't beat the price and quality.  However, someone got me to thinking.  Bambi.  Maybe I ought to paint it pink for my daughter.  Kind of like the Barbie-15 (which she likes) and call it the Bambi-15!
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Grug, where is YEM?  Too bad Colt is not available to you; I know a gent who's had the same predicament in the Caribbean.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top