Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 9:14:47 AM EDT
Guys ... some questions.

Is there any reason a YHM fore end could not be modified like the DL Sports fore end below?

dlsports.com/ar15_stock_handguard.html

Where exactly (measurements) would the holes have to be drilled in the YHM to allow for the set screws?

i.e. how long is the jam nut?

Is this feasible?

Do you think if suggested, YHM would do this either as a one off or factory option?

I don't need 2 feet of rail but do not need the rail spinning either.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:22:27 AM EDT
[#1]
think mongo did this

drilled and tapped for a setscrew sounds like a good idea.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the YHM light weight forends, and they already have the rails on them.  I'm not sure how they did it, but they look milled in place.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:34:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Roger that dragonfly.

Was interested more in the set screws. Rail holes are pre-drilled / tapped and GTG.

Would one of you guys ask Mongo over to the thread? I do not know the man.

Seems like it would be "no-brainer machine work" to pull off ... if the nut the set screws are going into is long enough.

BK
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:51:36 PM EDT
[#4]
YMH has one with holes so you can add rails to it. www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearms.html               3rd one down
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
YMH has one with holes so you can add rails to it. www.yankeehillmachine.com/store/forearms.html               3rd one down

Roger that bro.

I am talking about set screws that keep the tube from spinning ... anchoring it to the barrel nut ala the DL Sports in the link.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:11:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Oops. Should have read slower.  That was one thing I didn't like about the YHM rails I had was the fact they could turn. Shouldn't be too hard to add some locking screws to one. The barrel nut is a fairly large chunk of aluminum so plenty of meat.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:11:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
[I am talking about set screws that keep the tube from spinning ... anchoring it to the barrel nut ala the DL Sports in the link.

Hey that is what locktite is for.  

ETA:  I now have 5 rifles that all sport the YHM LW FF forearm, one of them is definately not a safe queen, NONE of them have ever come loose.  YMMV
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:39:22 AM EDT
[#8]
i thought you meant the setscrews to hold the lock ring and tube in place but everyone was talking about the rails

i have two that didnt even need loctite just a good whacking with the hammer and the yhm tool.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
[I am talking about set screws that keep the tube from spinning ... anchoring it to the barrel nut ala the DL Sports in the link.

Hey that is what locktite is for.  

ETA:  I now have 5 rifles that all sport the YHM LW FF forearm, one of them is definately not a safe queen, NONE of them have ever come loose.  YMMV

+1. I have one patrol rifle with the YHM unit on it. Factory intalled @ Bushmaster and has NOT come loose after 3 years of trunk carry (no bag).

But I admit, if I had the option to cheaply secure it via set screws (wait a minute...those will need loctite) I would do it.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. Just thinking aloud really.

I like the Larue. Just don't need / want four feet of combined railspace.

Anybody have some stroke with YHM?

Maybe they'll upgrade the design because we are such nice guys.

BK
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top