Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 11:09:28 PM EDT
This is my new AR in .50 Beo.  I finished putting it together tonight and had a few problems.  It is an Alexander Arms upper with an Oly. lower and RRA lower parts kit.  It has the Armalite hand guards and M2 Aimpoint.  I had bought an Arms 40L and Arms aimpoint mount to go on the upper.  The upper is out of spec. (or the ARMS mount is) so nothing would go on the upper.  The only thing I could do is put my RRA tactical carry handle on the upper and then the aimpoint on top of that.  Then the front sight is a YHM and it will not go down all the way.  Any idea how or what to modify on the sight to get it to work? Maybe a front sight to buy that would work?  Thanks for looking

Other than the front sight how do you think she turned out?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Looks like you can either file the handguarda smidge or maybe flip the front sight, so it folds the other way. Nice looking shooter!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:00:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Hope you get your problem worked out , but its a NICE weapon
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 1:06:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Flip the front sight in the other direction.

Slide the ARMS 40L on from the rear, if its tight, use some oil/ lube and tap it into place.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:16:05 AM EDT
[#4]
if you cant mount the front sight forward anymore than what stick said will work.

as for the upper there is no way in hell you are going to get the arms gear on there. i had the same exact problem with mine and switched over to a larue setup i had and still had problems with mounting onto the AA upper. the arms throwlever would not close more than halfway and the buis is nowhere near capable of sliding or being hammered on.  with the larue i had to adjust the throwlever to the point where it would rock back and forth before i was able to close the throwlever and when i did i adjusted it afterwards, still slight back and forth rocking though.

you're probably stuck with the rra crap handle so look for a aimpoint x-wide mount so you could at least co-witness with your irons.

i ended up switching back to irons for the 'wulf.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#5]
If you switch the ARMS mount for a low Aimpoint ring on the Tac carry handle, you'll be able to co-witness the irons thru the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:52:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless I'm missing something (and I very well might be, because I don't know anything about the Beowolf or AA), why don't you just pick up a CMT upper, and swap them out.  It's not a complicated affair, and it would make all your problems with the out of spec upper go away.

As far as the front sight is concerned, take the previous advice and swap it around; that's the easiest fix.  If you were worried about the forward facing ears snagging, you could also have a machinist cut the ears back to fit in the current position, or just break out the DREMEL.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:01:46 AM EDT
[#7]
I remember reading about this upper in American Rifleman October of last year. There was a short review. This upper overshadows the .223 and .308 at 100yds or LESS. By the time it reaches 200yds the projectile has fallen by 15" assuming a 100yd zero. So by the time the projectile reached 300yds assuming it hasn't run out of air the projectile would drop more than 50".

If you are unhappy with the way your BUIS is not fitting properly, then possibly save them for another build along with the aimpoint. I would suggest maybe getting an Eotech since the range of that particular upper is limitted ~100yds.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:48:12 AM EDT
[#8]
I would still like to have irons at 50 and 100 yards. I will flip the sight around and look for a low mount arms.  eklikwhoa thats a good looking Wulf, I have not seen yours in that configuration. Thanks for the suggestions. I had the front sight turned backwards but was unsure if that would work.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:07 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Unless I'm missing something (and I very well might be, because I don't know anything about the Beowolf or AA), why don't you just pick up a CMT upper, and swap them out.  It's not a complicated affair, and it would make all your problems with the out of spec upper go away.

As far as the front sight is concerned, take the previous advice and swap it around; that's the easiest fix.  If you were worried about the forward facing ears snagging, you could also have a machinist cut the ears back to fit in the current position, or just break out the DREMEL.

the ejection opening of th AA beo upper is widened for the large casing to eject.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:57:53 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I would still like to have irons at 50 and 100 yards. I will flip the sight around and look for a low mount arms.  eklikwhoa thats a good looking Wulf, I have not seen yours in that configuration. Thanks for the suggestions. I had the front sight turned backwards but was unsure if that would work.

i like this set up better a lot less can go wrong
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:10:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I might go that way (back to irons) if I can't find a better mount that will work with the AA upper.  Have you herd of the Wulf hurting any Red dots or scopes?  The recoil is there but I'm hoping the Aimpoint will take it.  I have shot mine out to close to 100 yards and have not seen a 15" drop. Is that normal? How does yours shoot at 100 yards?  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I might go that way (back to irons) if I can't find a better mount that will work with the AA upper.  Have you herd of the Wulf hurting any Red dots or scopes?  The recoil is there but I'm hoping the Aimpoint will take it.  I have shot mine out to close to 100 yards and have not seen a 15" drop. Is that normal? How does yours shoot at 100 yards?  

That was @ 200 yds. after zeroing it @ 100 yds.

4X4SC
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:26:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
...if I can't find a better mount that will work with the AA upper.  ...  

Buy a LaRue Aimpoint Mount.  It's a better mount and it WILL work with your upper.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top