Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 3:58:49 PM EDT
I am planning a precision carbine upper and have most of the stuff picked out but need suggestions for a couple things.

This what I have so far:
CMT M4 cut A3 upper
White Oak medium contour 1x10 barrel with midlength gas system and low profile gas block
Smith Vortex flash suppressor
Daniel Defense 12.0 FF rail
Knights rail panels
Knights vertical foregrip
A.R.M.S. #63 throw lever scope riser
A.R.M.S. #40  low profile flip up BUIS
Leupold Mk4 1.5-5x20 MR/T illuminated  mil-dot reticle
Yankee Hill bipod adapter
Harris Ultralight 9-13" swivel bipod
Surefire M96

I am looking for some QD heavy duty 30mm scope rings that are about 20mm high for the Leupold. I love my Badger rings, but they don't exactly what I want.

Also, I need a rail mount flip up front sight to mount on the FF system. I was looking at the YHM unit, but was wanting to look at other options as well. Anything else out there worth looking at besides the PRI???
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:04:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am planning a precision carbine upper and have most of the stuff picked out but need suggestions for a couple things.

This what I have so far:
CMT M4 cut A3 upper
White Oak medium contour 1x10 barrel with midlength gas system and low profile gas block
Knights rail panels
A.R.M.S. #40 flip up BUIS
Surefire M96

I am looking for some heavy duty 20mm scope rings for the Leupold. I love my Badger rings, but they don't make any in 20mm.

Also, I need a rail mount flip up front sight to mount on the FF system. I was looking at the YHM unit, but was wanting to look at other options as well. Anything else out there worth looking at besides the PRI???

you need either 30mm rings or 1" rings, the 20mm is the size of the objective. search more into what you are wanting cause you arent understanding whats what. also does that particular scope come with mildot reticle? in 5x?

why are you wanting the arms#63? why not get rings of appropiate height or a mount that achieves what you are trying to do? gonna be expensive and bulky with that riser and rings.

why 1x10? im guessing custom bbl. for lighter bullets also are you sure it comes with m4 ext ramps since you are getting a m4 cut upper

since you are going with all the nice, pricier parts why go with the yhm bipod adapter? there is also knights, arms and larue.

the bipod is a bit high too, have you tried one? i personally prefer the 6-9"brms with the podloc

with flip up sights there is kac,pri,troy and i think there are others you also might want to try a lower folding rear sight as well to mount under the scope.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

This what I have so far:
CMT M4 cut A3 upper
Knights rail panels
A.R.M.S. #40 flip up BUIS
Surefire M96

I am looking for some heavy duty 20mm scope rings for the Leupold. I love my Badger rings, but they don't make any in 20mm.

you need either 30mm rings or 1" rings, the 20mm is the size of the objective. search more into what you are wanting cause you arent understanding whats what. also does that particular scope come with mildot reticle? in 5x? The tube is 30mm, I want rings that are 20mm high. I should have worded it clearer. I'm not sure about the mildot, but duplex will work if it has to.

why are you wanting the arms#63? why not get rings of appropiate height or a mount that achieves what you are trying to do? gonna be expensive and bulky with that riser and rings.I am using the #63 to be able to switch out the Leupold with another optic.

why 1x10? im guessing custom bbl. for lighter bullets also are you sure it comes with m4 ext ramps since you are getting a m4 cut upper. I don't really care about the M4 cuts, but that is how the CMT is made

since you are going with all the nice, pricier parts why go with the yhm bipod adapter? there is also knights, arms and larue.I have been using one another rifle for some time, it works well and I see no reason to get another one.

the bipod is a bit high too, have you tried one? i personally prefer the 6-9"brms with the podlocI have one on a 20" rifle, and it works for me. I use the 6-9" on my PSS.

with flip up sights there is kac,pri,troy and i think there are others you also might want to try a lower folding rear sight as well to mount under the scope. Thanks. I'll check out KAC and Troy units. I am using the low profile version of the #40

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
look into the larue spr or spr eer mount.

with the larue you could do away with the rings and the riser and save some money too.

cmt offers both m4 and rilfe extensions

i use the yhm too but those that have a good amount of money sunk into them might as well

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I don't really care about the M4 cuts, but that is how the CMT is made

Just to be perfectly clear...

If your upper has M4 cuts, then your barrel extension MUST also have M4 cuts, or your rifle will not function properly.  It will jam like a cheap watch.  The tip of the bullet will likely get hung up under  a "regular" barrel extension.

edit: spelling

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:12:52 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
White Oak medium contour 1x10 barrel

this is the part that i don't understand -- why are you looking into 1:10 twist barrel?

ar-jedi

ps:

all the gory details are on the archive server (for members):
archive.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=231558

but here they are in short:
barrel: GTS WOA 16" match grade 1:7 stainless midlength, with M4 ramps (thanks denny @ gts)
barrel paint: Lauer Duracoat, desert tan (thanks denny)
gas block: Larue Low Profile (thanks grant @ g&r)
forearm: Larue 9" (thanks grant)
upper: CMT flat top with M4 ramps (thanks denny)
bolt carrier: Young Maunfacturing, National Match (thanks denny)
lower: Bushmaster (thanks chris @ eagle firearms)
trigger: McCormick single stage curved drop-in (thanks wes @ mstn)
stock: Vltor A1 length fixed clubfoot, desert tan (thanks chris)
grip: TangoDown Battlegrip, tan (thanks grant)
rail covers: Magpul ladder type, coyote brown (thanks grant)
scope: Leupold MR/T 3x9 illuminated M1 turret mildot (thanks d&r sports)
scope cover: Scopecoat XP6 (thanks sinclair)
scope mount: Larue SPR (thanks wes)
bipod: Harris BRM-S w/ "clone-loc" (thanks Midway USA and ar15.com)
bipod mount: ARMS #32 (thanks grant)
case: Waller "discreet" Soft Safe (thanks Waller and Son, CT USA)
magazine: BM 10rd (thanks NJ state government!)

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
since we're showing off our precision rifles

denny's recon 16" 1x7 bbl.
larue 9.0 w/tango down panels
tango down vfg
bushmaster lower
cmc two stage curved with kns pins
magpul m93b with mgi rate reducing buffer
first samco g27 grip
trijicon acog ta31f w/ larue tactical mount
troy buis and pri crossbolt front
harris brms with podloc and larue tactical mount
vortex
ym chrome bolt carrier
bfg udc sling

oh and colt 20rd alloy follower no-ban mag cause it's great living in texas!
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:41:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice carbines guys.

I like the looks of that LaRue scope mount. That may be the answer to my scope mounting issue. Do they make it in different heights?

I am not stuck on the 1x10 barrel, and I am considering just going with a 1x9 for more versatility. I once had an OlyArms 1x10 SUM that was very accurate. I am not concerned with shooting the really heavy 80 grains+ bullets. I will primarily be using 45 grain HPs for shooting coyotes, 55 grain M193 for range and general SHTF use, and 64 grain Power Point Plus. I might try some more mid-70s weight stuff if I get a 1x9, as it works in my 1x9 light weight carbine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:42:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If your upper has M4 cuts, then your barrel extension MUST also have M4 cuts, or your rifle will not function properly.  It will jam like a cheap watch.  The tip of the bullet will likely get hung up under  a "regular" barrel extension.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:54:47 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

where is the BS?  

i agree 100% with the statement above that if you have an M4 cut upper, you will definitely want an M4 cut barrel extension -- otherwise you have a ledge which will hang up proper feeding.

ar-jedi

ETA:
1st post, last picture -- see explanation below it.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:02:48 AM EDT
[#10]
AR-jedi,

How do you like the LaRue scope mount? What is the height from the rail?
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

where is the BS?  

i agree 100% with the statement above that if you have an M4 cut upper, you will definitely want an M4 cut barrel extension -- otherwise you have a ledge which will hang up proper feeding.

ar-jedi

ETA:
1st post, last picture -- see explanation below it.
ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=191733

properly cut mags that sit in the correct height will have the bullet's nose above the reciever area and point towards the center of the feedramps on the bbl. extension. but having m4 ramps on the reciever and not on the bbl. extension does leave room for failure and should be avoided.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:10:14 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

i don't know the exact height (i believe that it's 1.5"), but i'm sure the LaRue website or one of their vendors (MSTN, G&R Tactical, etc) can tell you that info.

note, you should consider several factors on a scope mount:
- repeatability when mounting,
- compatibility with the scope's eye relief,
- clearance for the scope's front objective.

the LaRue SPR 1.5, for me, fits all of these well -- it goes back on the rifle to the same zero it came off of, the forward scope mounting position is a great match to the MR/T's eye relief, and the height above the rail clears the front objective perfectly.

ps: be sure to lap ANY mount that you get with a lapping bar.  even my LaRue SPR 1.5 was improved.  

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i don't know the exact height (i believe that it's 1.5"), but i'm sure the LaRue website or one of their vendors (MSTN, G&R Tactical, etc) can tell you that info.

note, you should consider several factors on a scope mount:
- repeatability when mounting,
- compatibility with the scope's eye relief,
- clearance for the scope's front objective.

the LaRue SPR 1.5, for me, fits all of these well -- it goes back on the rifle to the same zero it came off of, the forward scope mounting position is a great match to the MR/T's eye relief, and the height above the rail clears the front objective perfectly.

ps: be sure to lap ANY mount that you get with a lapping bar.  even my LaRue SPR 1.5 was improved.  

ar-jedi

Thanks. I am using an MR/T 1.5-5x and I think the LaRue would work well for it as well.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tell it to Tweak.

Check out "failure to feed" (FtF) in the Troubleshooting FAQ
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top