Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2006 12:33:35 PM EDT
Noob here, i have been reading this forum for some time now and sounds like there is some very knowledable people here. I am a law enforcement sniper and know a lot about bolt guns. I don't know that much about these black rifles. I have a RRA lower with a Mckormic triger and a DPMS flat top upper ( i assembled  from parts). I'm getting about 1.25 in. average groups at 100 yds. i think this rifle will shoot a lot better with a barrel change. Need input on the most accurate barrel on a budget. (400.00 or less) I've been looking at RRA wilson varmit, Dennys recon and E. R. shaw. I noticed that the recon comes with a matched bolt, if that makes any difference.  thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:38:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I would replace it with a Stainless Pac-Nor Super Match barrel.

There are plenty of good barrels out there for less money, but these are at the top of the heap.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Krieger...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:28:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Before buying a bbl try feeding it some different ammo and maybe you won't need a new tube.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#5]
you are not receiving private messages...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Definitely Krieger. A superbly accurate product. Charles the Gunsmith.  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:50:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Is it currently free-floated?

That might be worth trying before putting a new barrel on it.  Although I'm not really an expert, so perhaps free-floating doesn't really make much of a difference.

I'm partly posting in this thread to read the responses and learn more myself.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Anything touching the barrel can have a major effect on accuracy. Want some proof? Look at the Mini-14.... you add weights to it to stop bad harmonics... crazy eh?

But if it was my gun... I'd give John Noveske a ring. (Maker of Dennys Barrels). He has 12.5", 16.1", and 18" SPR config barrels. Some of the pictures of groupings from dealers (biased or not) are pretty insane for a AR... I think MSTN got 0.38 inches with a 12.5".
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Definitely Krieger. A superbly accurate product. Charles the Gunsmith.  

+3

If you stretch your budget to $500, you can have the ne plus ultra (Krieger) installed by either one of the best AR accuracy smiths out there: Frank White (Compass Lake Engineering) or John Holliger (White Oak Precision).

The Pac-Nors that Noveske and many others use (including John Holliger) are capable of incredible accuracy, but cut-rifled Kriegers will match or exceed anyone elses' accuracy AND maintain that accuracy for almost double the barrel life of any button-rifled barrel.

Only Obermeyer is in the same league.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:18:11 PM EDT
[#10]
i have a krieger and wasnt aware of how much the cut rifle helps out barrel life, so how many rounds are they good for?

i am assuming regular barrels will go baout 5000 or so
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:36:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I would replace it with a Stainless Pac-Nor Super Match barrel.
There are plenty of good barrels out there for less money, but these are at the top of the heap.

DING DING DING

www.pac-nor.com/ar/

For $345.00 you can have a drop-in super match barrel.  

Now, why the hell they can't give you the exact same barrel in 6.8mm SPC for the same amount of money instead of !@#$%^&*() being referred to JNRifleworks.com is beyond me.

6.8 is one of their standard chambers and .277 is one of their standard blanks.

goddamnfuckingsonofabitch... that pisses me off.

Dave S
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:13:48 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
i have a krieger and wasnt aware of how much the cut rifle helps out barrel life, so how many rounds are they good for?

i am assuming regular barrels will go baout 5000 or so

Barrel life is dependent on what you expect in terms of accuracy.  Most button rifled barrels are done around the 3500 to 4000 round mark when it comes to the accuracy expected of a highpower target rifle.  If you expect less accuracy, obviously life will be longer.

A cut rifled barrel can be expected to give HP-acceptable accuracy for about 1000 to 1500 rounds more than a button rifled one.

YMMV
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:22:52 AM EDT
[#13]
sorry i didn't give enough info. the barrel is a 16" DPMS h-bar with no flash hider. It has a free float hand gaurd and i shot the Tubbs final finish through it. before the final finish it was shooting 1.5 and bigger groups. I shoot 75grn or 77grn match ammo, but have tried 60 grn, 68grn and 69 grn. 75 grn hornady shoots the best  groups.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top