Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 11:11:48 AM EDT
Guys,

I carried an m4 while on active duty, and now I have decided to get myself one.

Here's the deal: My old man is a collector (C&R), he used to have a class 3 license but decided to get just after C&R stuff.  Anyway, we talked about getting me an M4, and he already owns a AR-15.  He already offered to give me the lower, so what else would I have to get to get it close to an M4?

Can I just get any upper and slap that on?

Can I remove the AR-15 stock and place the M4 one?

I found this: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=43332167

Would that work?

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:23:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
so what else would I have to get to get it close to an M4?

An M4 upper, and replace the stock.

Depends.  If the lower is an older Colt you most likely will need an adapter pin for the front detent.  (old Colts front pin were of a different size)

Yes

Would that work?

Sure if you wanted to end up in Club Fed for a NFA violation.

Barrels less than 16" (M4s have 14.5" barrels) need to have a muzzle device PERMANENTLY attached that will bring the barel to 16" (and an A2 FS doesn't do it).

Also having those 'full auto' parts is a no-go.

Do yourself a favor you can do better here in the Equipment Exchange (see button above right) and you won't get into trouble.

Your options on barrels:
16" M4 with your choice of flash supressor
14.7" M4 with a permanently attached A2 flash supressor (probably will look/handle the most like your issue M4) Check with Bravo & CMMG for these.
or a 14.5" M4 barrel with a permanently attached Vortex, Phantom, or similar muzzle device.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:30:51 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the CMMG 14.7" M4 upper assembly. John and Jeff are a great bunch of guys and will take care of you. They make nice quality AR parts/assemblies.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:35:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks for the quick reply.  Ill head over the EE right now.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:36:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Going to Club Fed for a NFA violation will only happen if you don't get that $200 Stamp.

M4 Lovin'
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#5]
+1 for checking out the ee and the dealers here.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
so what else would I have to get to get it close to an M4?

An M4 upper, and replace the stock.

Depends.  If the lower is an older Colt you most likely will need an adapter pin for the front detent.  (old Colts front pin were of a different size)

Yes

Would that work?

Sure if you wanted to end up in Club Fed for a NFA violation.

Barrels less than 16" (M4s have 14.5" barrels) need to have a muzzle device PERMANENTLY attached that will bring the barel to 16" (and an A2 FS doesn't do it).

Also having those 'full auto' parts is a no-go.

Do yourself a favor you can do better here in the Equipment Exchange (see button above right) and you won't get into trouble.

Your options on barrels:
16" M4 with your choice of flash supressor
14.7" M4 with a permanently attached A2 flash supressor (probably will look/handle the most like your issue M4) Check with Bravo & CMMG for these.
or a 14.5" M4 barrel with a permanently attached Vortex, Phantom, or similar muzzle device.

Can I use the same charging handle, bolt, and bolt bolt carrier from the standard AR?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Can I use the same charging handle, bolt, and bolt bolt carrier from the standard AR?

Yes.  The barrel would have to be make NFA legal, and you'd have to ditch the FCG.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top