Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/31/2006 10:24:34 AM EDT
I'm running a GG&G scout rail/Aimpoint combo on a carbine and want to add a full rail cover to the top of my KAC RAS. None of the various sizes of KAC panels fit closely enough to make me happy, and I think I'll cut down a full length KAC panel to a custom fit. I know some manufacturer's panels can be custom cut by the user, but has anyone done this with a KAC panel? The material seems to be a glass-filled plastic....does it cut well, or does it chip? Anybody done this (if so, what worked)?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#1]
KAC panels mill/cut beautifully with a Dremel.

I've been able to cut, mill, and shape them like plastic.

In the attached pic, you can see recessed milling under the PAQ paddle switch, and a recessed mill, to accomodate a flush strip of velcro. The panel under the PAQ unit (on top of the rail) has been cut short and rounded.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:26:42 AM EDT
[#2]
I liked KAC rail panels the best but at upwards of $20 a pop regardless of length I had to come up with a way to save some cash. $60+ for three panels was a bit much. I had an idea. What if I buy two full size panels, cut to length the panel for behind my weapons light and come up with an idea on how to utilize the scrap piece.

To secure the scrap piece to the underside of my HG’s I went to Lowes and purchased a rubber insert with a threaded metal sleeve. When a screw is inserted into the sleeve and tightened the rubber expands securing the rail cover to the holes running the length of the HG’s. An aluminum trim washer with Alumablack applied and a screw with a finish similar to parkerizing finished off the project perfectly!

This modified panel has never come loose and is rock solid! Heat from the barrel has not effected the rubber either.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 11:45:52 AM EDT
[#3]
cut and sand it smooth to match the factory ones.

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, especially for the pix! I'll get the dremel to work.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top