Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2006 6:59:15 PM EDT
Does anybody have one of the "new" Colt SP1 uppers from CDNN?  Do they look truly new?  Any functional issues with them?  I'm hoping to buy one to use for a lightweight 20" build (not a retro).  
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Mine sure looked new, coated in grease and wraped in plastic.  It has functioned flawlessly.  Here is a pic of it (a clone build), I got it when they came with the stock assembly.

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:00:15 PM EDT
[#2]
the twist rate is something that should be considered
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:03:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Mine works great... I mean it had some gunk like stuff on it but overall not bad looking.

I ended up duracoating it and the lower colt gray just so they'd match up. 1/12twist, does fine @100 with my either 55gr bulk or my 52gr handloads

Hasn't had a whole lot of rounds through it, maybe 600 or so but no problems so far, of course it IS a colt.

Came with a free stock and works perfectly... I'd say a good deal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]

I got one of the used ones, at it was a smoking deal!  It was such a good deal that I immedaitely ordered another one - but they were out.  

I'm sure the new ones are nice, but a little pricey for me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Mine sure looked new, coated in grease and wraped in plastic.  It has functioned flawlessly.  Here is a pic of it (a clone build), I got it when they came with the stock assembly.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0342.jpg

where did you pick up your sling from?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:12:34 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I got one of the used ones, at it was a smoking deal!  It was such a good deal that I immedaitely ordered another one - but they were out.  

I'm sure the new ones are nice, but a little pricey for me.

dude i think i paid like 300for mine (maybe 2) with a stock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#7]
ive bought 2 and stuck them on some old preban DPMS lowers that have A1 type millings (full magazine fence, but no reinforcing around where the buffer tube screws in.)

http://home.comcast.net/~canyonflyer/AR15A1s.jpg

Tracking down M16A1 pistol grips can be a chore though...
I did find some that were in good shape after some searching
and put the two rifles together (both previously had A2 uppers)

Both work great, are accurate, and function flawlessly.

Now just have to find a way to finish the lowers in Colt gray to match.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Bobby7321 you can buy a M1 nylon sling which is corrrect  for your  M16A1 clone. Go to this page, www.mooremilitary.com. They carry all kinds of hard to find gear from the Vietnam War. HTH
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:12:04 PM EDT
[#9]
^^^^
that site doens't work mang.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#10]
http://mooremilitaria.com/

This is the site dude...

Good guy to deal with too...

Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:05:28 AM EDT
[#11]
the A1 that CDNN are selling are old stock uppers that may show some slight signs of being on a shelf. I like the old gray color better than the newer black color.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:07:10 AM EDT
[#12]
They are sweet!  They have all of the Proof marks on them.  The cosmoline is a bitch to get off however.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:10:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They are sweet!  They have all of the Proof marks on them.  The cosmoline is a bitch to get off however.

your back the newbs were starting to get out of hand
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:04:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I was going to be buying one of these also...until I found a great deal on an complete unfired Colt slabside upper on the EE.  You never know what you'll find!

Regards,
PatG.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:09:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

your back the newbs were starting to get out of hand

I need a good OLY bashing thread to get the juices flowing again!
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:30:48 AM EDT
[#16]
cosmoline came right off w/ brake cleaner and an old toothbrush
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:24:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A bunch of mine melted off from shooting.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I dont have enough mags to get the barrel hot enough, State ranges nomore than 3.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:31:25 AM EDT
[#19]
So, the bottom line is that they are pretty sweet?
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:19:04 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
So, the bottom line is that they are pretty sweet?

Schweet, SUPER SWEET! That's why we live in this quiet little whitebread mountain town
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Wish I had known that'd work before I cleaned my PPSH48 kit (drenched in cosmoline) by hand with rags and papertowels...
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 4:31:17 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 3 in new condition.  Advertising notwithstanding, they are not SP1 uppers.  They have the FA and autosear cutouts that define M16A1 takeoffs.  Condition is as advertised.  No complaints.  

The twist rate matters if you plan on using M855.  But 1:12 will work with all M193 and many soft points, including most 60 gr heads.

Sam
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Brian_in_Pullman/Guns/DSCF0342.jpg

where did you pick up your sling from?

CDNN, I think Freds M-14 Stocks has some also.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 8:53:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Are there any other sources out there for these M16A1 uppers?  Maybe someplace cheaper?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:03:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Are there any other sources out there for these M16A1 uppers?  Maybe someplace cheaper?

Cheaper than CDNN?

Their price is already absurdly cheap.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 9:07:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought one too, so I can make a Retro shorty, but I am now thinking I need another as I don't want to break it apart (BRD at work).
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:13:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont know what you consider cheap.

I think these brand new out of the box Original Colt uppers are very well priced.

I did manage to pick up a used A1 upper off of GunsAmerica.com once for 275, but the upper was NOT colt, some contract manufacturer. The barrel was a colt barrel in 1/12 twist. This was just for the receiver and the barrel though, and the thing was pretty well used.

I have not been able to find any deals like that since, but I really havent been looking....
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Wish I had known that'd work before I cleaned my PPSH48 kit (drenched in cosmoline) by hand with rags and papertowels...

if the cosmo is still greasy boiling hot water will work better than brake cleaner.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]
I have one and love it !  No problems whatsoever.

Very lightwieght , accurate , feels nice in the hands .

I also got the old ,small Colt 3x scope , it sure is fun to shoot.

With all the rails , gadgets,grips , lights, illum. fancy stuff  - it is fun to go back to the basics.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

if the cosmo is still greasy boiling hot water will work better than brake cleaner.

That wont cause rust or anything will it..?
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 1:43:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

With all the rails , gadgets,grips , lights, illum. fancy stuff  - it is fun to go back to the basics.

That's exactly how I feel too.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 4:36:30 PM EDT
[#32]
If you do a build with one of these SP1 uppers, does your bolt carrier need to be a current Colt
AR-15 carrier or an older model?

Thanks, DB
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too...I have an M4 with all the dodads and I find myself going back to my SP1 and my CAR-15...

So much so, I'm damn near tempted to dump my tricked out M4...and build more simple rifles.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 5:27:09 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Cheaper than CDNN?

Their price is already absurdly cheap.

Well I wouldn't say it's "absurdly" cheap but I'm not a Colt kool-aid drinker.  However, that price is very hard to beat for a new Colt upper.  It also has a great deal of novelty value because they are real government contract M16-A1 uppers.  I love mine and CDNN is a great company. They even threw in a free pair of shooting glasses with my order, much to my surprise when I opened the package.  
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:09:52 PM EDT
[#35]

That wont cause rust or anything will it..?

It shouldn't as long as you clean out all the residual moisture and dry the parts properly.

Ive used the pot's and pans cycle on my wood furniture before to get the cosmoline out.

Just like when you shoot the rifle, the cosmoline just runs right out of the parts as it gets hot.

I just make sure that the metal parts are dry before I reassemble the rifle. This includes using a hair dryer to get the moisture out of those hard to get to areas.

Link Posted: 2/3/2006 6:15:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
If you do a build with one of these SP1 uppers, does your bolt carrier need to be a current Colt
AR-15 carrier or an older model?

Thanks, DB

Not at all, I ordered completely assembled bolt carrier assemblies from Ameetec Arms for mine.
Function is flawless.
Link Posted: 2/5/2006 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too...I have an M4 with all the dodads and I find myself going back to my SP1 and my CAR-15...

So much so, I'm damn near tempted to dump my tricked out M4...and build more simple rifles.

I shot mine again today, about 600 rounds ,flawless.

Soooo lightwieght , and very easy to handle. I am totally digg'in the retro.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:00:10 AM EDT
[#38]
Ive got about a dozen AR type rifles, and to tell you the truth I shoot my A1's more than all of them. Ive got the M4 clones with the rails and reflex sights which are fun, but I can shoot my A1s more accurately with the open sights anyday. The tapered front sight I find makes for easier aiming at longer ranges. I love how light weight they are too.

This noted group is what I was able to achieve bench rested at 150 yards last Saturday. This particular rifle is on a colt lower sporter slabside lower. The orange disks mark the two bench rested groups. The other colored disks are from previous groups.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top