Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:52:34 AM EDT
I sold my duty rifle and am looking to order a Rock River tactical rifle...I'm seeking anyone with experience who could offer suggestions on which model might be best. It will be for use in the patrol division. My plan on this one would be to go with the standard sights, and possibly a laser sighting device, but I have no experience with them, having had an Aimpoint on my last rifle. Many thanks....
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:56:59 AM EDT
[#1]
get with adco firearms, he offers lots of rra products
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:20:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I would check either the Tactical Entry, the CAR A4, or the Elite CAR A4 which has the mid-length gas system and handguards. I bought the CAR A4.  Only difference between Tactical Entry and CAR is the grenade launcher notch in barrel.  For civilian and police use its strictly cosmetic.  Many people like it because it has more of an original "M4" look.  I believe these are the only two in 5.56 that I would recommend for patrol use.  I wish I would have bought the mid length because it's gas system is suppose to be, in theory,  a little more reliable and less stress on weapon.  Many report a lighter recoil.  The mid length is also good for  people who like to grab the handguard a little close to the muzzle .  I bought mine from Eaglefirearms.NET and found them to have to best internet prices and great customer service.  Good luck. Oh yeah, if you want chrome lined barrel you have to specify it  with RRA weapons.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You might want to check out the RRA DEA rifle (or do they call it the Government model?) specs and then build one up from parts or a kit.  Seems to cover a lot of the bases.  I built kind of an upgraded version of it with a GTS 16" midlength Recon barrel; turned out nice.  
eta; the EOTech 552 might be a nice optic for your work; I like mine.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a RRA Carbine with UTE upper and I love it.  It has the mid-length handguards,  the sight radius is a bit longer than the carbine with the shorter M4 handguards and the overall rifle length is the same.  I installed an Aimpoint ML2 and the sights will co-witness with the red dot on the Aimpoint.  There is a screw on cap on the right side of the upper receiver, which encloses a storage area for a spare Aimpoint battery.  I added a GG&G flashlight mount to the upper handguard, which will hold the M3 light I use on my Glock 22.  I installed a Giles Wilderness sling and it makes it easy to transition from the rifle to the pistol.  

If I were you I would purchase a lower then shop around for an upper.  Pete at Legal Transfers can fix you up or you can go to ADCO which has a good reputation in the firearms community.  There are websites for both vendors and they are very accommodating.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.ar15sales.com/
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 2:53:48 PM EDT
[#6]
i would also suggest one of the models with the 16 inch barrel and mid-length gas system.  i have about 1200 rounds through my rra mid-length and havent had a single problem.  it is a great product

Brett
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 3:02:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Since it is to be a duty rifle, check to see if you can use the 14.5" barreled version

If so, do.

It will be more maneuverable, and easier to wield from a squad car.

While the RRA products are some of the best, I wouldn't rule out Bushmaster Patrolman's Carbine (A3 version), or the LE Series of Colt AR15's - like the LE 6920, 6921 (the 14.5" model and semi version of the venerable M4, or 6721 tactical Carbine.

The latter will run about $100 more for LEO's, and in my opinion worth many times that

But all are worthy of protecting one's life.

Good luck and keep us posted on your choice.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top