Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 8:25:52 AM EDT
I installed a KAC RAS last night on an LE6920. Took just a few minutes. But I have a question about the KAC rail covers: The left rail cover (safety switch side) won't slide on from the muzzel end as described in the KAC instructions. The 6920 has the side-mounted front sling swivel which gets in the way when you try to slide the rail cover on. And there's not enough room to put it on from the receiver end because the delta ring is in the way. I'm hoping you don't have to install the left cover before you mount the RAS top piece...that's not too convenient for removal of the cover...you'd have to remove the RAS to get it off. I do want to keep the front swivel mount where it is and I do want to use the KAC covers rather than somebody else's covers...what am I missing here
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:27:19 AM EDT
[#1]
knock the two roll pins out of the side sling adapter to install your panels and then reinstall the adapter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:35:00 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a pretty lousy design if you have to remove the sling swivel to install/remove the cover. If I want to remove the cover to install a tac lite at the 9 o'clock, I have to remove the sling swivel?????? I'm thinking KAC is smarter than that.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That's a pretty lousy design if you have to remove the sling swivel to install/remove the cover. If I want to remove the cover to install a tac lite at the 9 o'clock, I have to remove the sling swivel?????? I'm thinking KAC is smarter than that.

Considering the KAC units were designed to work with M4s (which don't use the rifle's sling swivel - they have a side sling adapter instead) it isn't an issue for the military.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:38:41 AM EDT
[#4]
was just trying to help

im sure they didnt expect the side sling adapter to be there since they do offer their own side sling adapter that mounts onto the rail.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:42:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Forest -
When you say side sling swivel...you mean a rail-mounted side sling swivel? I'd rather keep it on the barrel. It's sturdier there...the RAS handguards are not free-floated.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:45:26 AM EDT
[#6]
It won't slide on from the rear?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:05 AM EDT
[#7]
kac has their own rail mounted slide sling adapter. why would they make it work with things they dont sell? wouldnt it make more sense to force you to buy their items?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:47:38 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It won't slide on from the rear?

he stated in his post that the delta ring is in the way.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Eklikwhoa - I appreciate the input...that's why I put up the post. I just can't believe I can't have it my way.

Lancelot - It won't go on from the back once the RAS is installed. The delta ring sits too high (not by much). I'm thinking I'll have to remove the RAS top, put the rail cover on, reinstall the top and then just move my light to the right side. I'd rather not do it that way, but...
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:03:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
you mean a rail-mounted side sling swivel?

No a barrel mounted side sling swivel, it allows the use of a sling even when using a M203.

Here is what it looks like:

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:41:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Forest -
Right. That's what I have. What I'm saying is that the barrel-mounted side sling swivel blocks the rail cover from the front. You can't put it on. The swivel is just high enough that the mounting grooves on the cover won't mate with the rail...you can't get the cover "started" to slide onto the rail. You also can't slide the cover on from the receiver end...the delta ring blocks it there.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:52:56 PM EDT
[#12]
My mistake for some reason I though we were discussing the standard sling swivel.

Hmm I haven't had that issue, but then again I prefer MagPul rail covers.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Maybe that's the solution here...use ladder covers which just push on. At least you don't have to disassemble the front end to switch between a tac-lite and a full coverage rail.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top