Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/30/2006 4:35:34 AM EDT
I'm new to the site and I had a quick question. I plan to buy a RRA varmint A4 when I return from Iraq. I am wondering which barrel length and twist rate to go with. I am thinking 18" with 1:8. This gun will be used primarily for coyote huntin in the east and plinkin. I would like to use 52-60gr factory ammo. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Great site by the way.

SSG Groves
2/506th INF, 101st ABN DIV
Operation Iraqi Freedom
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:38:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm new to the site and I had a quick question. I plan to buy a RRA varmint A4 when I return from Iraq. I am wondering which barrel length and twist rate to go with. I am thinking 18" with 1:8. This gun will be used primarily for coyote huntin in the east and plinkin. I would like to use 52-60gr factory ammo. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated. Great site by the way.

SSG Groves
2/506th INF, 101st ABN DIV
Operation Iraqi Freedom

Welcome!

18" with 1:8 would be just fine.  WWB 45gr 3600fps varmint ammo should work well also in a 1:8.  It shoots decent in my 20" 1:7 barrel.

Shok
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 6:15:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:21:30 AM EDT
[#4]
The guys above are knowledgeable shooters and their suggestions reflect it

As a casual shooter, I go with 16" with 1/7 twist

this gives me the versatility to shoot up to 77gr or optimally the 62.

Plus I have an AR that doubles as home defense (short and nimble enough) and can hit my target to 300m+

from what I have seen, precision shooters go with the 1/8 and 18" bbls., and the masses a 16" in 1/9 or 1/7.

In short, there doesn't seem to be a bad choice, as long as its not longer than 20" and no slower than 1/9.

Welcome to the site, dhnut, and thanks for your service!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:32:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
16" 1:8

+1
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
In short, there doesn't seem to be a bad choice, as long as its not longer than 20" ! hr

Is this just a weight concern or would it have a negative impact on accuracy?
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the quick responses guys you've been a big help. I think I'll go with the 18" 1:8. The 16" M-4's we use are pretty loud so the 18" would be a little better. I'm thinking ACE stock and the Hogue rubber tube with a bipod should make it look pretty cool. In the infantry today ya just gotta have the cool guy look. Thanks again for an awesome site.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 11:51:01 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In short, there doesn't seem to be a bad choice, as long as its not longer than 20" !

The impact on accuracy would be theoretical at most.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 2:29:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
In short, there doesn't seem to be a bad choice, as long as its not longer than 20" !

combat-jack is saying what I meant to

I have read that the increase in accuracy (at least in an AR15) beyond 20"s is negligible.

I believe the ammo-oracle.com addresses this with some ballistic data. I suppose the theory is that the minor difference - if any - is offset by the challenge of carrying/wielding a 24 in the field.

For those who are pure bench-shooters, the extra 4" isn't a problem, and if they can squeeze .005% better performance.............they do.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top