Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 11:32:38 AM EDT
Recently I shot a friend's Les Baer AR which has a hard-chromed bolt/bc.  The smooth, slippery surface of the bolt made it super easy to clean.  Combined with the ability to see the dirt on the silver finish, it took less than a quarter of the time I spend on cleaning my AR's bolt.

Now I'd like to send my own bolt/bc to Tripp for hard chroming.  Might even send in a bolt from the Remington 1100 too.  

Is there any downside to doing this?  Could this have a negative impact on function or durability?
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:43:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, for whatever the reason, USGI's embarking for foreign destinations are not allowed to have them in their 16's.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 2:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Well, for whatever the reason, USGI's embarking for foreign destinations are not allowed to have them in their 16's.

Well, having been in the Army once I can probably give you 3 accurate answers:

1) Uniformity
2) Cost prohibitive
3) Not "tactical" with the chrome showing

Why would you send a bolt and carrier off to be plated when they sell them like that? I'll wager that the cost of shipping, plating, and the original cost of your bolt/carrier would exceed that of a new one that is already chromed.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 6:45:12 PM EDT
[#4]
No reason not to, if it's just for range work.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The post above mentions hydrogen embrittlement and that would be a big reservation I would have as to having a bolt HCed... without knowing the shop that does the work, their experience with plating parts like this, bath regeneration and what steps they take for releif soaking...

...I can not think of any reason to HC a bolt that outweighs the reasons not to.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 11:52:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Seriously, wtf does that even mean. How the hell does it make a gun less battle worthy to have a chrome BCG

Recently I shot a friend's Les Baer AR which has a hard-chromed bolt/bc. The smooth, slippery surface of the bolt made it super easy to clean. Combined with the ability to see the dirt on the silver finish, it took less than a quarter of the time I spend on cleaning my AR's bolt.

Now I'd like to send my own bolt/bc to Tripp for hard chroming. Might even send in a bolt from the Remington 1100 too.

Is there any downside to doing this? Could this have a negative impact on function or durability?

Umm, why...just buy the Les Baer BCG. That would make more sense. JP also makes a nice chrome bolt, as does POF
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:36:56 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Seriously, wtf does that even mean. How the hell does it make a gun less battle worthy to have a chrome BCG

Is there any downside to doing this? Could this have a negative impact on function or durability?

http://www.msnusers.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/Documents/Articles%2FThe%20Serious%20AR15.PDF

and in case it was missed the first time

http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/040208.html

Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:10:22 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://www.msnusers.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/Documents/Articles%2FThe%20Serious%20AR15.PDF

and in case it was missed the first time

http://www.moldmakingtechnology.com/articles/040208.html

What are you freaking kidding me or what? Those are your references? I've got a shitty DPMS M4 with a crappy tool marked DPMS chrome bolt. It looks like hell and made by monkeys, I'm not kidding. It's well over 10K rounds and survived quite a few carbine classes. I beat the hell out of it just to prove a point. This is DPMS we're talking about. No strange wear, no chipping, no cracks.

My goal is 20k rounds, but then again maybe it is 21k rounds that determines a "serious" AR15.

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top